Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Smaller Wheels Don't Always = Less Weight, Taller Tire Adds Weight

neeqness

1000 Post Club
While doing research for tires, I made a spreadsheet for different sizes (205/40-17, 205/45-17, 215/40-17, 205/45-16, 205/50-16) to compare section width, tread width, weight, etc. across different tires of the same size. You always hear that xxx tire runs wide or yyy tire runs narrow, etc, and I never really realized it until I put it on paper in front of me. If anyone knows how to upload a file to share I'll be more than happy to do so...there's another spreadsheet I did with gearing and tire sizes too.
That would be quite useful.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lNm5nwFZtdNVpfaVBDV1Q5R2s

That should work for everyone with Excel.

The first sheet (at the bottom) is the gearing info and common tire diameters. You can change the tire diameter in the green box to see how it affects speed in each gear. Have the gearing set up in 100RPM increments all the way to 6500 (stock redline) and 7000 (common redline with tune to my understanding).

Second sheet is the different tires that I was interested in and their specs per the manufacturer. You should be able to download it and put in what is relevant to you if you wish.

Waterfan

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B4lNm5nwFZtdNVpfaVBDV1Q5R2s

That should work for everyone with Excel.

The first sheet (at the bottom) is the gearing info and common tire diameters. You can change the tire diameter in the green box to see how it affects speed in each gear. Have the gearing set up in 100RPM increments all the way to 6500 (stock redline) and 7000 (common redline with tune to my understanding).

Second sheet is the different tires that I was interested in and their specs per the manufacturer. You should be able to download it and put in what is relevant to you if you wish.
My only regret is I have but one Like to give.

this ^^^^^.

agree 1000%
I also have the OZ Ultraleggera in 15X7. Which is a stellar piece. But, with a 6 point PM chassis brace I felt the road clearance on those wheels and 205/60 tires was stupid low. So the 16 in Enkie was a compromise solution.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I also have the OZ Ultraleggera in 15X7. Which is a stellar piece. But, with a 6 point PM chassis brace I felt the road clearance on those wheels and 205/60 tires was stupid low. So the 16 in Enkie was a compromise solution.
One of the reasons WHY I will not do any of the front braces/'torsion bars', as they hang down so low, that even at stock ride height, and on factory height wheels/side walls, that they would be ripped off of the car (probably with MUCH collateral/attachment point damage as well) in a day, in this area. [:(]

One of the reasons WHY I will not do any of the front braces/'torsion bars', as they hang down so low, that even at stock ride height, and on factory height wheels/side walls, that they would be ripped off of the car (probably with MUCH collateral/attachment point damage as well) in a day, in this area. [:(]
Yup. Planning and measurement matter. The OZ wheels work fine except for the inclusion of the brace. I don't yet know that I am leaving the brace in long term. So much of my original plan was discarded that I am just trying to find a good combination of bits and pieces.

Waterfan

I think you mean 205/50-15? If so, that tire size should be nearly the same diameter as OEM 17", 23.4". Most 205/50-15 are slightly shorter (23.1-23.3)

205/60-15 would be at least 0.5 taller than stock.

Meaning, with the proper sized tire you should have the nearly same ride height as OEM.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I think you mean 205/50-15? If so, that tire size should be nearly the same diameter as OEM 17", 23.4". Most 205/50-15 are slightly shorter (23.1-23.3)

205/60-15 would be at least 0.5 taller than stock.

Meaning, with the proper sized tire you should have the nearly same ride height as OEM.
I was thinking the same thing. ;)

But sadly, in some areas, even that extra 1/2" higher than factory height is not enough to keep from tearing off some of those very low hanging TB/Pierce front torsion bars, and multi-point braces. [:(]