Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Extreme Contact Sport

I installed 205/45/17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my front wheels for my Fiesta ST that only has a Livernois Tune. I put my traction control in sport mode and made a launch from a dead stop. When I shifted to second there was a bang and I'm unsure if the bang was from the transmission mount or the tires hitting the front fenders? Is there any way that I can tell what the bang was from?

BTW, the tires grip extremely well compared to the stock summer tires and the RE760s that I replaced the stock tires with. There is a sweeping offramp turn that is 180 degrees that I took around 75mph with stock tires and almost the same mph with the re760s with the nannys fully engaged and the traction control lighting up like crazy. With the continentals at 75mph indicated (speedometer not calibrated for taller tires yet), I can take it at almost 75mph and the traction control is barely going off. FYI

neeqness

1000 Post Club
Only a tune? No other mods?

If so, could be your rear motor mount, it's commonly upgraded for this exact reason [:o]
+1

I installed 205/45/17 Continental Extreme Contact Sports on my front wheels for my Fiesta ST that only has a Livernois Tune. I put my traction control in sport mode and made a launch from a dead stop. When I shifted to second there was a bang and I'm unsure if the bang was from the transmission mount or the tires hitting the front fenders? Is there any way that I can tell what the bang was from?

BTW, the tires grip extremely well compared to the stock summer tires and the RE760s that I replaced the stock tires with. There is a sweeping offramp turn that is 180 degrees that I took around 75mph with stock tires and almost the same mph with the re760s with the nannys fully engaged and the traction control lighting up like crazy. With the continentals at 75mph indicated (speedometer not calibrated for taller tires yet), I can take it at almost 75mph and the traction control is barely going off. FYI
You were probably going 75 or faster with the continentals because I think the speed on the speedometer is measured by revolutions.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
You only installed new front tires? Concerning launching and cornering speeds of new tires, it is best to allow for at least 100 miles of normal driving to remove the mold release agents from the tread compound. The heating of the tire compound allows for the release agent molecules to escape from the tire. You also shouldn't mismatch tire types as it can alter the handling of the car. A front tire with a higher degree of traction paired with a rear tire with less can increase oversteer and make the car twitchy under heavy braking.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I have done an RMM on all of my FWD over the past 17 years and it is one of the first modifications to be done. It makes shifting much smoother and gets rid of the wheel hop.

OP
M
Thread Starter #9
I only changed the front tires because they were worn out and the rears have 10-15K miles left on them. I didn't rotate them because of some minor damage to one of the sidewalls and I rather have them on the back. In an ideal world I would have changed all four, but I am accepting donations! :)