Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 Is it worth it?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the MP215 from Mountune. They emailed me back and said the Mtune is on backorder for 2-3 weeks [:(] I think it will keep me happy until my warranty is up in two years. I still can do a cat back and intercooler later. I hope I will hear more turbo noise with the intake.
Good move. The first time you get on it in third gear you will stress your smile muscles! And the intake does allow more sound. Have you deleted the Sound Symposer yet?

Zormecteon

I did the intercooler, induction hose and complete turbo hose upgrade along with the quick shift at the same time as the mp215. ...As long as the air box is out, I highly recommend having the Quick Shift done at the same time, as it has to come out anyway to get that done. .. If there were only going to be two mods done to the car those two would be the RMM and the Quick Shift. The latter makes a difference every time you drive. Every time you shift, not just for the shorter throw, but for the better feel.

Your Finances May Vary. My 2¢

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the MP215 from Mountune. They emailed me back and said the Mtune is on backorder for 2-3 weeks [:(] I think it will keep me happy until my warranty is up in two years. I still can do a cat back and intercooler later. I hope I will hear more turbo noise with the intake.
Suggest getting an RMM as well the MP215 opens the torque on 1st and 2nd. The RMM will help transfer power to wheels.

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #24
I just installed a COBB RMM and a Fswerks shifter. I love them both. The only other mod is a K&N panel filter.

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #25
Good move. The first time you get on it in third gear you will stress your smile muscles! And the intake does allow more sound. Have you deleted the Sound Symposer yet?
I have not deleted the sound symposer. For now I like the way it sounds. What is the benefit to deleting it?

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I have not deleted the sound symposer. For now I like the way it sounds. What is the benefit to deleting it?
If you like it keep it! It has no effect on anything other than sound, I prefer to hear my engine not a phony engine sound. But it is totally inert as to performance. Some like it some don't. While I was doing the MP215 and OCC I just went ahead and deleted it in hopes of a new exhaust system sound soon. It will probably mask any intake sounds with the MP215 kit. After about a week it started bugging me that I was listening to a rubber diaphragm instead of my engine. This new thing of fake engine sounds piped into performance cars is just strange to me. I enjoy listening to my car when doing spirited driving. And when not I like my audio so deleting the Symposer was a need for me. No reason to change it other than personal preference.

You did well is asking for advice, you will find Mountune to be a great company to deal with. Their connections with Ford insured the MP215 would only do good things for your car. I have much more power (torque), increased fuel efficiency and a worry free warranty. If you have not yet installed an OCC do so. Look at the various threads for reviews on the different ones available. For various reasons, location and easy drain mainly I chose the Damon. All are good stuff for our D.I. engines. Wrench on![wrenchin]

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #27
I thought it just piped in throttlebody and intake sound from the engine. Maybe when the new intake is fitted I will delete it to hear more of that instead of the enhanced engine noise.

I will look into getting a OCC. Where do they plum into? Would it affect my warranty at all?

Some guy removed his, and found out that the mod had increased his boost.

I've got the kit sitting in the garage, as I haven't gotten around to buying a pair of really long nose pliers to remove the clips around the symposer.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I thought it just piped in throttlebody and intake sound from the engine. Maybe when the new intake is fitted I will delete it to hear more of that instead of the enhanced engine noise.

I will look into getting a OCC. Where do they plum into? Would it affect my warranty at all?
Only benefit of Sound Symposer is the phony engine sound disappears! Easy to do with a kit or just a BOV (Block Off Plug).

As to the OCC it is connected in the PCV lines, no warranty issues as long as it does not cause a problem you are OK, it is not an active device, it just condenses the oil vapors to a liquid in an attempt to keep your valves clean. No difference as changing all of your hoses to braided or color types. It does not affect the engine's performance or emissions. Damonds is plug and play with factory connections. Others may also be, I used the Damond for several reasons, installation was about 45 minutes and easy. They made me one with yellow hoses as a special request and I love the ease of emptying their OCC....... so I am somewhat prejudiced. But special care from a vendor should be praised. Lots of threads on the +/- of all of them. Get one!

I'm really happy with mine. The warranty issue was a major concern to me, as this is my only car; but as you've mentioned, the price tag...

Then a friend pointed out that Mountune is 20 minutes from my house, and offers free installation. So I had to.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the MP215 kit. For some reason I extended my warranty out to 84months/100k miles, because I drive almost 100 miles a day. Is the MP230 really that much better or quicker than the MP215 to justify the cost. I want to retain the factory turbo so any turbo upgrades are off the table.

I'm really liking what I'm reading about the MP215 kit. For some reason I extended my warranty out to 84months/100k miles, because I drive almost 100 miles a day. Is the MP230 really that much better or quicker than the MP215 to justify the cost. I want to retain the factory turbo so any turbo upgrades are off the table.
I never personally had the MR230 on my car, but I doubt it. If you are contemplating upgrading from MP215, it would be far more cost effective to just get an Accessport, an upgraded intercooler and a tune. Downpipe, charge pipes and exhaust provide no benefit (other than sound) on stock turbo. MR230 is not warranty approved either. I guess it all really depends on what your goals are and what you want to do with the car. Mountune does make quality parts, but being that MR230 is not warranty approved I think it's better to just get an Accessport and then decide from there, as you will have many more doors open to you for what you decide in the future.

$589 kit Mountune sells on their USA site (AP, engine mount, air filter) is a no-brainer (free shipping). Mine had Cobb maps on it, too. Which felt like stock compared to the Mountune map. Up to 23.1psi now, no rev hang, 7000RPM red line, no wheel hop, smoother shifts, intake sound. Can't beat that. You can always buy other tunes and put them on your AP. I couldn't find AP for less than $500 shipped alone. I don't see the value in their intake, however, so I've passed on the 215 kit.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
$589 kit Mountune sells on their USA site (AP, engine mount, air filter) is a no-brainer (free shipping). Mine had Cobb maps on it, too. Which felt like stock compared to the Mountune map. Up to 23.1psi now, no rev hang, 7000RPM red line, no wheel hop, smoother shifts, intake sound. Can't beat that. You can always buy other tunes and put them on your AP. I couldn't find AP for less than $500 shipped alone. I don't see the value in their intake, however, so I've passed on the 215 kit.
As a new owner, I had already decided this was the route to go but now I'm sold! Also, if you use an AP can't you just disconnect it for shop visits/warranty?

As a new owner, I had already decided this was the route to go but now I'm sold! Also, if you use an AP can't you just disconnect it for shop visits/warranty?
You can uninstall it and that will reload the stock map, but the dealer software indicates how many times the car was started since the last reflash. In other words, they can tell it was reflashed, though they don't know with what tune. My dealer Service Manager confirmed to me that they can tell, and that it will void the warranty. That said, these motors are very robust. For me, the Stratified E30 reflash was worth it.

XR650R

2000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whether or not it's worth is is totally up to you and your budget. I love mine. I love the peace of mind in knowing that since it retains the factory warranty, it should not affect the long term durability of the engine or drive train. Something that cannot be said with assurance about the tunes from others. (Sure the engine is highly robust, but what about the U-joints, CV joints, axles and everything else involved in getting the power to the ground?) the mountune kit is fully tested. That costs money and is the reason for the higher price than tunes from others.
This.
BRGT350 said:
One thing to consider is resale and long term value. I believe, and have spoken to others inside the industry who agree, that the MP215 cars will have a higher resale and long term value compared to one either without the MP215 kit or ones modified with other parts. There are multiple reasons, one is the MP215 cars are more exclusive which drives demand. The MP215 cars would tend to be more reliable and the retention of the full warranty means repairs were being done and not kicked down the road. The MP215 kit is also accepted by Ford, which also brings value. With all of that said, I don't have the MP215 on my car. The warranty issue was a bit of a gamble, but I think it was ok for me. I am soon to be out of warranty, have a modified car, and never had a single warranty claim on the car. The modifications never affected the warranty on my car, so the upcharge for the MP215 kit to protect the warranty wasn't worth the expense. My theory was that by sticking to proven modifications, a tuner that understood my desire for reliability over power, and taking good care of the car would keep the car out of the shop. Warranty is meant to protect the car against manufacturing defects, so I gambled that my car would not have many of those issues and the modifications wouldn't push the limits of the design to where there would be an issue of "is this covered or not".

In short, if you want something more exclusive, no concerns over warranty coverage, and potentially has a higher resale value, then the MP215 is a good direction. If you plan to do more with the car than the MP215 kit offers, not terribly worried about warranty coverage (remember, the warranty is only affected if the aftermarket caused the failure), and are operating with a tighter budget or planning on modifying the car in stages over time, then the MP215 isn't for you.
Also a little of this. I don't even need the tune. I just like it.

danbfree

3000 Post Club
You can uninstall it and that will reload the stock map, but the dealer software indicates how many times the car was started since the last reflash. In other words, they can tell it was reflashed, though they don't know with what tune. My dealer Service Manager confirmed to me that they can tell, and that it will void the warranty. That said, these motors are very robust. For me, the Stratified E30 reflash was worth it.
This is good to hear, I figure the engines are very reliable, I have not heard any major issues like the FoFo RS had or anything even close, just the typical Ford bashers from FanBoi's of other makers which I know is garbage... But tell me about the E30 tune, don't you have to convert to FlexFuel components at anything past E15?

You CANNOT uninstall it .. only a dealer can do that. The MP215 is locked.
Non-MP215 is like any other tune. I can switch from my custom-tuned MT map to Cobb, stock, etc. I can uninstall as well. MP215 comes with a locked down AP from what I understand. The tune from MT sold directly (not warranty approved) comes on a regular AP3.