Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

MP215 Is it worth it?

I want to keep the warranty so I am looking at the MP215. I see reviews that say it makes the car that much better and is worth it. Others say you can barely feel a difference.

The car feels a little stronger in the cooler temps than when it is hot out. Is that about the difference the MP215 makes or is it stronger than that?

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Lots of threads on this best to search and gather your data.

Quick snippet. Yes it helps first and second gear get a boost increase. And a very nice overall tune. Not just an off the shelf. Costly (yes) but that is the cost for warranty.

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #3
Thanks for the reply,

I have searched but to one it is HUGE and to someone else it is a slight increase and can just barely feel a difference. $1,000 plus install is a lot for barely feel a difference.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Search the web for reviews and tests on the Mountune cars. Check UK, same cars, you just sit on the wrong side, shift with the wrong hand and drive on the wrong side of the road! The MP-215 knocks about .5 sec off 0-60 times according to tests. I refuse to find out by dropping the clutch on mine. The additional 18 Hp feels really strong in third gear, pulls like a train. I wanted a little more pull out of mountain road curves and it does the job nicely, and I wanted a factory warranty! In my case it works out to about $50 per Hp. Expensive based on strictly Hp but keeping my warranty on this high strung engine is well worth it as it will probably be my last new car. There are many stronger tunes out there, but only Mountune with a warranty.

If you decide to get one, shop around. I got mine from a Ford performance parts dealer for almost $150 off. Installation can be done by ANY ASE certified mechanic at a lower cost than the Ford dealer especially if you know one. You MUST use 93 octane to get all the horses. My "installation" done by a friend in Louisiana, cost me a case of beer (without the Crawfish unfortunately!).....which we all shared.

I had the MP215 on my car for about 20k miles. I would say it is worth it if you are set on that being the only modification while the warranty is intact. For me personally, I wound up getting an Accessport and loading different tunes on the vehicle at 25k miles, and wanted to do it even sooner. I haven't seen too many reports of OTS or protunes causing issues with these cars, but if you want the peace of mind and don't plan on doing any other modifications then yes, it is worth it IMO. If I could do it all over again, while I loved the tune, I probably wouldn't have gotten it as I wound up modifying inside the warranty period anyways, and it would have been much more cost effective to just get an accessport with a custom tune.

As far as feeling a difference? Yes. This tune to me was better than the Cobb OTS stage 1 and stage 2 tunes. I was hitting 23 PSI and while I didn't verify the gains, Mountune claims +15HP and +34TQ. That is at the crank and not the wheels, but that is still a 9% increase in HP and a 16.8% increase in TQ. I think most people will notice that. It's not going to totally transform the car into a Mustang smoking hatchback, but you should definitely notice it. Driveability is just like stock, so if you don't get the itch to do further modifications then yes, IMO it is worth it.

yes it is noticeably better. so the next step is the 230. now you question the value of the whole deal. cut your losses and go for a x37, or what ever. exactly the trap I fell in. besides their fmic isnt up to the task of a hybrid. as hard as it might seem hold out for 10,000 miles or so. then screw the warranty and go for the bigger turbo. saves on wasting all the money I did. boyracer

I haven't seen too many reports of OTS or protunes causing issues with these cars, but if you want the peace of mind and don't plan on doing any other modifications then yes, it is worth it IMO. If I could do it all over again, while I loved the tune, I probably wouldn't have gotten it as I wound up modifying inside the warranty period anyways, and it would have been much more cost effective to just get an accessport with a custom tune.
This is the key point I think. Most of the well known tuners are not going to cause major problems for this car on the stock turbo. The engine is pretty pretty robust. The only risk you are really taking by being tuned during the warranty period is that if there was something wrong to begin with that would have happened either way, the dealership could say it was because of your tune. This probably happens from time to time, but it's still relatively low risk. If you pay for the MP215, you are basically paying a premium for peace of mind. The tune itself is probably better than the Cobb OTS, but maybe not as aggressive as what you could get with a protune. Only you can really answer for yourself whether the premium is worth it.

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #8
The cobb looks to be only about $175 cheaper than the MP215. The accessport is $500 and their intake is $325. Having ford install the MP215 is where it starts to get pricy.

It is sounding like the MP215 is a really good tune for a stock ST. Probably not going to do much better with a custom tune without replacing parts like the IC and DP. My ST is one year old and I only put on 6,000 miles. I have two years left on the warranty. I installed the Fswerks short shift kit and a Cobb RMM. I was thinking of installing the MP215 and maybe an exhaust later on. It does stink that in two years if I want more I will need to spend $500 on a Accessport.

The cobb looks to be only about $175 cheaper than the MP215. The accessport is $500 and their intake is $325. Having ford install the MP215 is where it starts to get pricy.

It is sounding like the MP215 is a really good tune for a stock ST. Probably not going to do much better with a custom tune without replacing parts like the IC and DP. My ST is one year old and I only put on 6,000 miles. I have two years left on the warranty. I installed the Fswerks short shift kit and a Cobb RMM. I was thinking of installing the MP215 and maybe an exhaust later on. It does stink that in two years if I want more I will need to spend $500 on a Accessport.
The intake itself is another place they get you. It does little/nothing and is baked into the price. I've run both Cobb OTS Stage 1 and 2 (since I got an intercooler) and a Stratified flash tune with just a drop-in filter, and it runs fine. Plus, as you mention, you limit flexibility later on. Also, you can probably get an Accessport for less than $500 by buying used or messaging one of the vendors.

Zormecteon

Whether or not it's worth is is totally up to you and your budget. I love mine. I love the peace of mind in knowing that since it retains the factory warranty, it should not affect the long term durability of the engine or drive train. Something that cannot be said with assurance about the tunes from others. (Sure the engine is highly robust, but what about the U-joints, CV joints, axles and everything else involved in getting the power to the ground?) the mountune kit is fully tested. That costs money and is the reason for the higher price than tunes from others.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
The intake itself is another place they get you. It does little/nothing and is baked into the price. I've run both Cobb OTS Stage 1 and 2 (since I got an intercooler) and a Stratified flash tune with just a drop-in filter, and it runs fine. Plus, as you mention, you limit flexibility later on. Also, you can probably get an Accessport for less than $500 by buying used or messaging one of the vendors.
I believe there would be a difference in running "fine" and running with a 21% higher airflow and cooler air charge with the Mountune air intake especially with your mods. Mountune actually tests and publishes data where they claim a performance improvement. The air intake is an integral part of the MP-215 for reasons other than to "bake" a price.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club

Take it to an ASE mechanic, cheaper than Ford and allowed for your warranty.

I believe there would be a difference in running "fine" and running with a 21% higher airflow and cooler air charge with the Mountune air intake especially with your mods. Mountune actually tests and publishes data where they claim a performance improvement. The air intake is an integral part of the MP-215 for reasons other than to "bake" a price.
Where are you getting 21% higher airflow? Is that the theoretical increase based on the design? If the stock intake isn't a significant restriction on a stock turbo, and I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that it is, it doesn't matter whether it would theoretically allow more airflow. Also, their "published data" is between a stock car with a stock tune and modded car with their tune, so you can't tell whether the intake is actually making a difference or whether it is all/mostly the tune. This is intentional because they want to sell you a package. Cobb does the same thing. Doesn't mean the hardware actually makes a difference.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Where are you getting 21% higher airflow? Is that the theoretical increase based on the design? If the stock intake isn't a significant restriction on a stock turbo, and I haven't seen any evidence to indicate that it is, it doesn't matter whether it would theoretically allow more airflow. Also, their "published data" is between a stock car with a stock tune and modded car with their tune, so you can't tell whether the intake is actually making a difference or whether it is all/mostly the tune. This is intentional because they want to sell you a package. Cobb does the same thing. Doesn't mean the hardware actually makes a difference.
I stated where the data was, Mountune has it published on their web site. Common sense says the Hp increase is not from the intake. That is measured airflow over stock, the purpose it to not have to change it later as I am sure the MP-215 will not be able to use ALL of the additional air flow. The intake was tested for airflow on a flow bench and showed the 21% increase. Additional intake air does not make power it allows power to be made. Why would anyone buy an intake that limits additional power? The actual cold air intake temps will be lower than intakes sucking the hotter under hood air and who would not want colder air into the FMIC? Free power. The decrease in backpressure is also stated as tested. I have zero idea what you are saying about comparing to a "modded"" car. The Mountune site tells you the test conditions and shows the Dyno charts. The test data is MP-215 Vs stock.

I cannot question what Cobb or the others you talk about doing the "baked" thing as I have no first hand knowledge about them but my opinion is if you inquire with Cobb they would say their intake is also tested to make improvements not bake the price and have the data to prove it. You need to take the time to learn something about a product before you knock it by giving advice like you have first hand experience with it. Giving opinions are wonderful if you tell people it is an opinion. What has Mountune/Cobb done to make you think they are not reputable companies? I don't remember any threads about the great intake rip off from Cobb/Mountune by others. I actually have one and do not feel like I somehow got taken by Mountune. Both Cobb and Mountune are not new to this, they have been around a while and do not have a reputation as shady to my knowledge. What do you know the rest of us don't?

I stated where the data was, Mountune has it published on their web site. Common sense says the Hp increase is not from the intake. That is measured airflow over stock, the purpose it to not have to change it later as I am sure the MP-215 will not be able to use ALL of the additional air flow. The intake was tested for airflow on a flow bench and showed the 21% increase. Additional intake air does not make power it allows power to be made. Why would anyone buy an intake that limits additional power? The actual cold air intake temps will be lower than intakes sucking the hotter under hood air and who would not want colder air into the FMIC? Free power. The decrease in backpressure is also stated as tested. I have zero idea what you are saying about comparing to a "modded"" car. The Mountune site tells you the test conditions and shows the Dyno charts. The test data is MP-215 Vs stock.

I cannot question what Cobb or the others you talk about doing the "baked" thing as I have no first hand knowledge about them but my opinion is if you inquire with Cobb they would say their intake is also tested to make improvements not bake the price and have the data to prove it. You need to take the time to learn something about a product before you knock it by giving advice like you have first hand experience with it. Giving opinions are wonderful if you tell people it is an opinion. What has Mountune/Cobb done to make you think they are not reputable companies? I don't remember any threads about the great intake rip off from Cobb/Mountune by others. I actually have one and do not feel like I somehow got taken by Mountune. Both Cobb and Mountune are not new to this, they have been around a while and do not have a reputation as shady to my knowledge. What do you know the rest of us don't?
LOL, you make so many assumptions here I don't have time to deal with all of them. I will just say that nobody is saying they aren't reputable or that you got ripped off. My point is just that there is little to no evidence that the stock intake is overly restrictive with the stock turbo. The turbo itself is the limiting factor. Nobody (including Mountune and Cobb) has shown that the intake itself allows the car to make more power. They just provide the dynos of the intake and tune together, and then claim that you need the intake in order to use the mTune or Stage 1 tune, and expect people to take them at their word. Yet plenty of people make the same power using similar or even more aggressive tunes with the stock intake.

Again, nobody is saying not to buy this package. Some people are Apple people and some people are Windows or Android. Some people just want to pay more to have everything together in one package that they know works and will be covered if it breaks, and not concern themselves with the value of each of the individual components. That's fine. Other people would like to spend less on the pieces that make the biggest impact and have money leftover to spend on other mods or other things entirely. That's fine too. Just trying to provide OP both perspectives.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
LOL, you make so many assumptions here I don't have time to deal with all of them. I will just say that nobody is saying they aren't reputable or that you got ripped off. My point is just that there is little to no evidence that the stock intake is overly restrictive with the stock turbo. The turbo itself is the limiting factor. Nobody (including Mountune and Cobb) has shown that the intake itself allows the car to make more power. They just provide the dynos of the intake and tune together, and then claim that you need the intake in order to use the mTune or Stage 1 tune, and expect people to take them at their word. Yet plenty of people make the same power using similar or even more aggressive tunes with the stock intake.

Again, nobody is saying not to buy this package. Some people are Apple people and some people are Windows or Android. Some people just want to pay more to have everything together in one package that they know works and will be covered if it breaks, and not concern themselves with the value of each of the individual components. That's fine. Other people would like to spend less on the pieces that make the biggest impact and have money leftover to spend on other mods or other things entirely. That's fine too. Just trying to provide OP both perspectives.
Did you actually read the OP's post before jumping into the discussion? The OP WANTS his warranty "I want to keep the warranty so I am looking at the MP215. I see reviews that say it makes the car that much better and is worth it. Others say you can barely feel a difference."

How do your complaints about Cobb/Mountune, complaints about a device you know nothing first hand about and telling him to dump his warranty help with his inquiry? Do any of your opinions include "keep the warranty" as an option or how well the MP215 works? No, you just imply that Mountune and Cobb are shady vendors forcing people to buy useless devices.

What do you not understand about the Mountune intake being different from others? You seem fixated on airflow when I agreed 2 posts ago that the additional air flow would do zip as the car sits. Educate yourself on intake air temps and come back and tell us how they have no effect on power OK?

I don't know what your true beef is with Mountune but I hope you resolve it and stop trying to discredit a good vendor.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Like the 5hp intake tube.
My point exactly!......what competent company guarantees a Hp increase from an intake? All they can do is provide bench flow numbers, whether it will give your application additional Hp is not determined by the potential airflow but your car's ability to use it. Being P.O.'ed about no Hp numbers on an intake is crazy, the only known improvement no matter what your engine configuration is that an intake that provides an actual cold air input as opposed to only the hot underhood air will be better for your engine performance and economy, anyone that understands engines knows cooler intake air is a very good thing. But nobody can put guaranteed Hp numbers on that, too many variables. Small changes to air temps can make large changes to power in turbo cars, but again who can put a guaranteed number on it?

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
One thing to consider is resale and long term value. I believe, and have spoken to others inside the industry who agree, that the MP215 cars will have a higher resale and long term value compared to one either without the MP215 kit or ones modified with other parts. There are multiple reasons, one is the MP215 cars are more exclusive which drives demand. The MP215 cars would tend to be more reliable and the retention of the full warranty means repairs were being done and not kicked down the road. The MP215 kit is also accepted by Ford, which also brings value. With all of that said, I don't have the MP215 on my car. The warranty issue was a bit of a gamble, but I think it was ok for me. I am soon to be out of warranty, have a modified car, and never had a single warranty claim on the car. The modifications never affected the warranty on my car, so the upcharge for the MP215 kit to protect the warranty wasn't worth the expense. My theory was that by sticking to proven modifications, a tuner that understood my desire for reliability over power, and taking good care of the car would keep the car out of the shop. Warranty is meant to protect the car against manufacturing defects, so I gambled that my car would not have many of those issues and the modifications wouldn't push the limits of the design to where there would be an issue of "is this covered or not".

In short, if you want something more exclusive, no concerns over warranty coverage, and potentially has a higher resale value, then the MP215 is a good direction. If you plan to do more with the car than the MP215 kit offers, not terribly worried about warranty coverage (remember, the warranty is only affected if the aftermarket caused the failure), and are operating with a tighter budget or planning on modifying the car in stages over time, then the MP215 isn't for you.

OP
Jim88GT
Thread Starter #20
Thanks for the replies. I ordered the MP215 from Mountune. They emailed me back and said the Mtune is on backorder for 2-3 weeks [:(] I think it will keep me happy until my warranty is up in two years. I still can do a cat back and intercooler later. I hope I will hear more turbo noise with the intake.