Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Navigation option worth it for Sync 3?

What is the general consensus on the nav option? I have an Android and it looks like 2016+ have Android Auto available.

Is there any reason to opt for the $700 nav option or is Google Maps far better?

I have Nav and never use it because gmaps is so much better and offers traffic. If I'd realized this, I probably wouldn't have got Nav. When I bought, we didn't have android auto working yet.

Sent from my SM-G870W using Tapatalk

kivnul

1000 Post Club
U.S. Army Veteran
If I have to look someplace up on my phone to figure its address, I'd rather just use the phone to navigate instead of typing it up into the car. Now that both apple/android phones hook right up, there is no reason to get the nav option. I rarely use mine. (only reason I got it was a sale and limited selection of cars)

Bluedrank

Not in the slightest. Google Maps and Android Auto are so much better than the stock system. Definitely not worth paying extra money for Nav at this point.

OP
S
Thread Starter #5
Thanks everyone for the responses. This makes it much easier, now all I have to look for is a FiST with Recaro's.

What do you mean hook right up? Can gmaps be shown on the fiestas LCD screen straight from the phone?

Or do I still have to look at my phone when using gmaps?

I love my Nav.

Despite what people say, having google maps simply isn't the best option sometimes.
There are moments where I have no cell signal but my Nav still works perfect. Saved me lots. At this price point, it's a no brainer.. now would I pay $2.2k+ to have it in a Subaru...? Dunno...

I love my Nav.

Despite what people say, having google maps simply isn't the best option sometimes.
There are moments where I have no cell signal but my Nav still works perfect. Saved me lots. At this price point, it's a no brainer.. now would I pay $2.2k+ to have it in a Subaru...? Dunno...
I also love having the navigation option. I too have issues getting signal at times with my cell service. Never have issues with Sync 3 navigation.

Personally, now that CarPlay is out, I wouldn't get the nav option. If you're worried about losing signal on your phone when using maps, you could always download the map for "offline" viewing on your phone. Good thing is with apple/google maps, you'll always have the latest maps with traffic conditions without having to pay extra for Sirius XM services

brbauer2

Just get a standalone GPS for much cheaper and keep it in the glovebox for backup if you are worried about losing signal.

STArk,

You will get varying opinions on this based on numerous considerations.

1. Cost
2. Options wanted desired
3. Location
4. Financial Position

If you are buying the car with numerous option upgrades, it will be much tougher to find one without NAV. Most who bought or optioned Recaro Seats received the NAV (there are exceptions of course). This also holds true for the Sun Roof (again, there are exceptions). GOOGLE Maps will be tough to beat, but the Sync 3 NAV works well, especially if you have and intend to keep Serious XM, as I have. $700 for this option is a lot, but for me is well worth what I spent for it. Also, should be mentioned that Sync 3 NAV runs heads and shoulders above SYNC 2. So if your experience and others replying do not have experience with the 2 different versions, please keep this in mind.

Note:
Go on youtube and watch videos on how the system works to get a better understanding.

Best of Luck,

The people complaining about no cell service with Google Maps and Android Auto need to learn about Offline maps. I have my whole state saved for Offline mode.

The people complaining about no cell service with Google Maps and Android Auto need to learn about Offline maps. I have my whole state saved for Offline mode.
I don't download offline maps for fun, especially before I go somewhere. Just saying. Allows me to be spontaneous and not worry about an additional factor. Also, I never have to worry about my phone battery being low, being placed in a weird position that cant be reached by charging cable. If you don't like the Nav, don't get it, and I don't 'need' to like offline maps!

I have a 16 with Sync 3 and nav and am pretty happy with it. I live in a semi-rural area so phone service is spotty, let alone 4G internet. The nav hasn't ever lost signal even when I'm way out in the boonies. I also like not having to plug my phone in or mess with anything to get to the navigation, it's just right there in the dash. It is all personal preference but it works well for me.

My '16 has the nav and I liked it but now that the new Android Auto update came out it defaults to my phones GPS and I can't even use the cars nav with my phone hooked up. Really stupid to be honest.