Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

TUNE+ : New turbo upgrade coming, and you don't need to provide a core...

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Comparison using Puma's website data/Vargas language used here (stage 2 only), apples to apples:

OEM = 32.3mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 38.5mm/inducer, 35.4mm wheel size/inducer, 46 base circle/exducer
X-47 = 40.3mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 45mm/inducer, 43mm wheel size/inducer, 53 base circle/exducer
VTT2 = 41.2mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 47mm/inducer, 43.4mm wheel size/inducer, 56 base circle/exducer

XLR8

Comparison using Puma's website data/Vargas language used here (stage 2 only), apples to apples:

OEM = 32.3mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 38.5mm/inducer, 35.4mm wheel size/inducer, 46 base circle/exducer
X-47 = 40.3mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 45mm/inducer, 43mm wheel size/inducer, 53 base circle/exducer
VTT2 = 41.2mm shaft spec/exducer expands to 47mm/inducer, 43.4mm wheel size/inducer, 56 base circle/exducer
Considering the X-47's are getting close to 300whp on pump (93), I would say the Stage 2 may do it. Stage 2+ for sure. That's the million dollar question for me since it's been my goal from the beginning. Good comparison here.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

Not to beat a dead horse but that comp is very similar to the C39 Compressor wheel. Also, Are there test mules out and about on these turbos? Are they just going straight to market?

jeff

2000 Post Club
Not to beat a dead horse but that comp is very similar to the C39 Compressor wheel. Also, Are there test mules out and about on these turbos? Are they just going straight to market?
Hey man, no that really helps me as someone who's learning.......I'm not studied up on the C39, I'd be curious to see the specs for it added to that comparison I did. I know they're very capable/comparable from the little I've read. Don't mean to de-rail this thread...I just posed those numbers because I'm sure many of us considering different options are looking at data to see what is best for our needs/budget.

I've been reading up on the other options along with this new one. It appears to me that this new Vargas option (using estimates given here since no testing data has been published as of yet), the "pump gas only"/entry level option that is, is maybe going to be a 3-5% increase over the X-47 and etc. Really it's marginal until you start adding ethanol/aux fuel and get one of the more expensive options listed here. But for some that extra x% is definitely worth it. If the previous champ does around 288 and this guy does 300, that's a 4% increase. Me, I'm just studying all of this.........

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the pump gas option.

Love your avatar btw.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Hey man, no that really helps me as someone who's learning.......I'm not studied up on the C39, I'd be curious to see the specs for it added to that comparison I did. I know they're very capable/comparable from the little I've read. Don't mean to de-rail this thread...I just posed those numbers because I'm sure many of us considering different options are looking at data to see what is best for our needs/budget.

I've been reading up on the other options along with this new one. It appears to me that this new Vargas option (using estimates given here since no testing data has been published as of yet), the "pump gas only"/entry level option that is, is maybe going to be a 3-5% increase over the X-47 and etc. Really it's marginal until you start adding ethanol/aux fuel and get one of the more expensive options listed here. But for some that extra x% is definitely worth it. If the previous champ does around 288 and this guy does 300, that's a 4% increase. Me, I'm just studying all of this.........

Keep in mind I'm only talking about the pump gas option.

Love your avatar btw.
Lol thanks. Yea I have the specs somewhere from when i measured it myself. The comp wheels is very very comparable. I think the spec is also on the cyborg thread. Im just curious if the turbo is going straight to market without any testing...

Considering how popular and proven the Vargas turbos are with the Mustang and FoRS platforms, it's probably safe to say that they have a test mule or two running around somewhere. Just a guess tho.

Lol thanks. Yea I have the specs somewhere from when i measured it myself. The comp wheels is very very comparable. I think the spec is also on the cyborg thread. Im just curious if the turbo is going straight to market without any testing...
I think Adam said in a previous post that all 3 turbos were going to be tested on their shop car to even see if they would release 3 different turbo options.

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #169
Don't wanna give out the numbers just yet? Lol just kidding Adam.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk
The numbers each turbo will support are listed out in the original post.

kind of a dumb question but are those HP numbers what they handle or what you're guaranteeing youll make afterward?
That is what they will support, you can't guarantee power because we don't know what the 100's of cars that will be running these turbos have for other supporting mods, their elevation, their fuel, and additionally all dynos read different.

Silly question. I already have map intercooler pipes with the turbosmart vee port bov. Will this be ok with the new turbo?
Yes, as mentioned it is a direct replacement turbo for the factory unit. So whatever modifications you have now will fit still on the new turbo.

I'm Sorry I guess I wasn't clear I was referring to the aux fuel system being plug and play. My bad!
It will need to be wired in, everything else will be plug and play as far as fuel lines and fitment goes.

I'm curious - is there any reason not to buy the Stage 2+ MF? I know that to get maximum power out of it you're going to need to buy the Aux Fuel unit, which is fine, but I assume you could run it on the car without the Aux Fuel unit until you decide to pony up the cash for it? I just like the idea of having the extra power on the table for the taking in the future. Thoughts?
We are going to be testing all turbos, in the end if the spool comes out to be the same on all 3 then there is no reason to not go with just one turbo. We aren't 100% set on the turbos but we are going to be prototyping all 3 and making the decision from there.

I have been stalking this thread since it came out now. Was just wondering if there is an updated ETA on when all of this should be available ?
The ETA's are in the original post, so I don't anticipate an update until we get closer to those original ETA's. This is a big project, we are talking about casting/machining and prototyping 3 turbos, then heavy testing, then production. We aren't doing small production of 20-30 here and there we will come to market with 100 MINIMUM when they are ready to sell.

Compressor wheel isn't all that matters, if you don't have a turbine wheel that pairs with the compressor wheel you have a useless compressor wheel as you can't get the shaft speed up to put the compressor wheel in the desired pressure ratio. If you put it in the surgeline of the compressor wheel it will actually be hard for the turbo to make any power and more prone to grenading itself. So, big compressor wheel numbers don't mean anything the complete unit has to work together to perform. Additionally the small A/R's of the turbine and compressor cover reduce the wheels ability to perform as well. This is why we picked the wheel sizes we did and are recasting the housings to make sure the wheels do their job they were sized to do.

I think Adam said in a previous post that all 3 turbos were going to be tested on their shop car to even see if they would release 3 different turbo options.
Yeap.

Vargas makes turbos for the bimmer crowd too. Check out their forums for reviews.
Hit or miss on the BMW stuff when they first started, they perfected the turbos for the BMW and now they hold the records for that platform. People have personality issues with Tony as do I with him. Just the same as people have personality issues with me. Nobody is perfect, and not everyone can get a long especially when there is no tone set when you are reading off the internet.

I'll say right now I have sold and tuned over 40 of their Stage 2 turbochargers for the 2.3L Ecoboost and have a 100% success rate with them. None smoke, none have failed, all have made power. I have customers approaching 30k on their Stage 2 turbos with no issues. So I'm putting all trust in Tony in this project to take our request for the Fiesta turbo and nail it on the head.

To this day, the Fiesta ST is my favorite platform that we support. I miss driving one everyday.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Still wanting to know about test mules. Also I just stated the specs were the same on the compressor.

ShindigST

I selfishly hope you guys go with just one so that I don't get FOMO about any of the better ones, even if I don't need them.

...Just the same as people have personality issues with me. Nobody is perfect, and not everyone can get a long especially when there is no tone set when you are reading off the internet. ...
This. This is the reason there is so much BS on the forums and online in general. Kudos man for putting it so well.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
No mention of test mules is mentioned. Just that Vargas is a gd manufacturer. Also, I can't see DHM taking another chance after the last fiasco.

OP
Tune+
Thread Starter #176
Still wanting to know about test mules. Also I just stated the specs were the same on the compressor.
It's not a secret, it was posted. We have our own Fiesta ST this is going on. The first prototype comes in, then after testing it goes into production.

Meh, that sucks about the RS turbo but I think that with what has happened recently with the hybrid turbo issues in our community I doubt deadhook will be putting the FiST version on sale without adequate testing. I don't think Adam will be putting his name to it either if it turns out to be a bust on Vargas' end. Hopefully they'll be extra picky about this turbo with an issue from the same manufacturer coming to light.
Completely accurate. The issue with the RS is that it was machined into the stock housing and the housing didn't have enough meat. You can watch the video and everything Russ says but at the end of the day Vargas took care of every single one. He paid to have them shipped, covered DHM's customers labor, and expedited all the fixed turbos back to the customer. The day they arrived to Vargas they went back out.

He did the fix as a precaution as the right scenario could have resulted in the issue that happened. In Russ's case it did. However this will never be an issue with the Fiesta as the complete turbo is completely RE-Casted so we have ZERO limitations such as this.

Mustang is made the same way (re-casted) and we have sold and tuned over 60 of them with 100% success rate.

No mention of test mules is mentioned. Just that Vargas is a gd manufacturer. Also, I can't see DHM taking another chance after the last fiasco.
See above.

That video looks like a stock housing machined to fit a bigger wheel. Is the Fiesta supposed a fresh cast turbo or just compressor cover?
Correct, see above.

I'm interested in the turbo. However, the way the company did DHM is cause for concern IMO.
They were being equally douchey to each other. Douche + Douche ≠ everyone happy. Tony asked to get the turbo back so he can further inspect, that was unacceptable to Russ and then the douche-train rolled in on both sides. It probably would have been a different result of Tony wasn't driving out of town with his family for Memorial Day Weekend Vacation, and replying back via phone on Facebook. Soon as he got back from vacation he took care of it.

Would like some updates though.
Not sure what updates you are looking for, it was mentioned in the first post ETA is 2-3 Months. It has been about 3 weeks, we still have some time left. The first prototype turbos still need to arrive and be vetted.

[MENTION=3805]Tune+[/MENTION] after the turbos will you be shifting your focus on the aux/flex fuel stuff? Or are you working on both at the same time?

Posting to get the updates. Interested in an upgrade. Waiting to see this one as Pumaspeed one seems like a hassle compared to this.

So with that out of the way, we can update about the actual Fiesta ST turbo progress. Development is well underway, we had a new light weight flat back turbine wheel designed just for the application, as well as a one piece cast aluminum inlet. Lots of progress, as soon as the first sample is ready we will ship it to Adam for testing!

Status
Not open for further replies.