Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST vs New 2017 Civic Si

Didn't find any discussions comparing the Fiesta ST to the upcoming Civic Si. With a 1.5L DI Turbo motor, it's now a very similar car to a Fiesta ST and the weight should be very close too.

What are your thoughts on it? Would you consider trading in or purchasing it instead of a Fiesta ST? I'm about to buy a Fiesta ST, but am wondering if I should hold off to see how this is.

If you have the option to wait, absolutely do it. I love my car more than any man should but that doesn't mean something better can't come along.

If I was in your position, I'd wait and check out the Si when it comes out. On paper it looks very impressive, I'm curious to see how the car will stack up against the FIST.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

It will most probably be a better car. At least in terms of engine performance and reliability. The SI body style choices are coupe and sedan. I hope they will be offering the hatch body style in SI trim in the near future. Honda performance components and even whole body in white civic shells have been offered recently, so Honda really supports that corner of the market.

OP
S
Thread Starter #6
I'm looking for something with the driving personality of a Fiesta ST. I compared the wheelbases of these cars to get an idea:

Civic Sedan: 106"
Focus ST: 104"
Fiesta ST: 98"

Looks like the Civic won't even come close to providing the driving feel of a Fiesta ST. Then again, this is just one factor.

Waterfan

Hondas typically have amazing turn-in feel that could make the longer wheelbase (and +150 lbs vs. FiST) seem more responsive/agile. As well their manual shifter action/feel is second-to-none ("bolt action" feeling comes to mind).

It will be interesting to see if Honda are going for 1) broad appeal like the "amazing on paper and does everything near-perfectly but boring to drive" Mk7 GTI or 2) "Ridiculously fun but not for everyone" like the FiST.

I'm looking for something with the driving personality of a Fiesta ST. I compared the wheelbases of these cars to get an idea:

Civic Sedan: 106"
Focus ST: 104"
Fiesta ST: 98"

Looks like the Civic won't even come close to providing the driving feel of a Fiesta ST. Then again, this is just one factor.
Who knows what its "driving feel" will be, but I think the more obvious point in the data you provided is that these cars are not in the same class. The Si is a more direct competitor with the FoST or a GTI, and it will be underpowered in comparison to both of those. The starting price is also about $3,000 more than that of a new FiST. So if you think it may meet your needs, then by all means wait and see, but the FiST will still be unique in the American market when the Si arrives.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
FoST price range + less power than FoST= poop?

Hard to say. I do like what Honda has been working on lately, but the Type R has stiff competition at it's price-point, and the new Si has FiST peak power, but weighs more... We'll see.

Quisp

1000 Post Club
I'd do the hondata tune to a regular civic . Waiting to see the engine choice in the new fist.

Zormecteon

personally, .. and this is just my opinion, .. no more foreign cars. The parts and labor are just too expensive. Before you buy, check out the cost of things,...common items like a headlight bezel (that could take a rock and need replacement) a starter motor, a generator, a wiper arm and compare. Then ask about shop rates at the dealerships. .. It's not that I can't afford more, it's just that I don't WANT to pay it. ... As and aside to that, I don't trust GM build quality, and Chrysler even less so. ..Seems I'll only be buying Fords (but this is my last new car anyway.)

My 2¢

CarGuy

1000 Post Club
Fiesta is NOT a direct competitor for the Honda Civic, the Focus is. So why are people even comparing it...its like comparing apples and oranges.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Zissou

I won't be trading in my FiST for it, but I'm excited about it. The world needs more fun cars and competition from Honda will hopefully drive Ford to keep making fun cars like the Fiesta.

Now the Civic Type R... that I might have to look into when it comes out. I'd consider stepping up a bracket for that or a Focus RS in the future.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
I agree. The Fiesta is in the same class as the Honda Fit, not the Civic. The FiST is just so good for it's class that it can be hard to picture a Fit being competitive or in the same class.

That said, I think regardless of which class they are in...if you are interested in them both, the best thing is to go out and give them both a test drive. Don't just stop at the first one because it's a great car or you may regret it. Test them both out first and be sure about which one works best for you.

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

I've owned four Civic Si's previously, and none of them handled like the Fiesta ST out of the box. The Civic Type R is intriguing. However, at that price range, I'd pick the Focus RS in a heartbeat.

Fiesta parts are not inexpensive....

personally, .. and this is just my opinion, .. no more foreign cars. The parts and labor are just too expensive. Before you buy, check out the cost of things,...common items like a headlight bezel (that could take a rock and need replacement) a starter motor, a generator, a wiper arm and compare. Then ask about shop rates at the dealerships. .. It's not that I can't afford more, it's just that I don't WANT to pay it. ... As and aside to that, I don't trust GM build quality, and Chrysler even less so. ..Seems I'll only be buying Fords (but this is my last new car anyway.)

My 2¢
. And are sourced from all over the world. Price a rocker skirt , cylinder head or wheel!