Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Solid Wrench Light with NO Throttle Input

This has happened to me 3 times, in the last couple of months.

First time was a couple months ago. Was pulling onto the highway, going through the gears, when I realised I was slowing down. Car slowed down to idle speeds (putting along like the clutch is out, and no throttle is given). Pressed on the gas, no response. Pulled over to the side of the road, saw I had a solid wrench light. Turned the car off, waited a few minutes, restarted, like nothing ever happened.

Second time was a few days back. Same thing. Solid wrench light, no throttle response. Turned the car off, waited a few minutes, restarted, all good.

Third time was the next day. Same thing. Solid wrench light, no throttle, but when I restarted, it wouldn't clear (may have not waited long enough to restart). Attempted to uninstall the COBB AP, because I figured I'm about to take it into the shop, the AP would not read the ECU. When sitting with the accessories powered up, I noticed random lights on the dash were blinking (TSC would blink, then ABS would blink, Brake light, etc...). Pulled the neg side of the battery for a hard reset. Waited about 15mins, put it back on, everything returned to normal. Pulled into the parking lot and immediately uninstalled the AP.

So far, 3-4 days, and no wrench light. I'm thinking it has to be some sort of software issue/glitch. Seeing as how it would not read the ECU and the random blinking lights. If it was a throttle position switch issue, I would think the problem would be more localized without the blinking lights, power reset clearing, and ECU block.

Any ideas? Looked around to see if anyone else has had this issue. Most I see were people talking about having a solid wrench light, and it not affecting the car in any way. And/or the oil light thing.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club

First time was a couple months ago. Was pulling onto the highway, going through the gears, when I realised I was slowing down. Car slowed down to idle speeds (putting along like the clutch is out, and no throttle is given). Pressed on the gas, no response. Pulled over to the side of the road, saw I had a solid wrench light. Turned the car off, waited a few minutes, restarted, like nothing ever happened.

Second time was a few days back. Same thing. Solid wrench light, no throttle response. Turned the car off, waited a few minutes, restarted, all good.

Third time was the next day. Same thing. Solid wrench light, no throttle, but when I restarted, it wouldn't clear (may have not waited long enough to restart). Attempted to uninstall the COBB AP, because I figured I'm about to take it into the shop, the AP would not read the ECU. When sitting with the accessories powered up, I noticed random lights on the dash were blinking (TSC would blink, then ABS would blink, Brake light, etc...). Pulled the neg side of the battery for a hard reset. Waited about 15mins, put it back on, everything returned to normal. Pulled into the parking lot and immediately uninstalled the AP.

So far, 3-4 days, and no wrench light. I'm thinking it has to be some sort of software issue/glitch. Seeing as how it would not read the ECU and the random blinking lights. If it was a throttle position switch issue, I would think the problem would be more localized without the blinking lights, power reset clearing, and ECU block.

Any ideas? Looked around to see if anyone else has had this issue. Most I see were people talking about having a solid wrench light, and it not affecting the car in any way. And/or the oil light thing.
Get Ford to scan it. I think its a bad switch somewhere which is a reason the wrench light would come on (i know fault brake switch will do it).

This been happening to me too. No CEL. If it doesnt go limp mode it hesitates 1-2 times with a loud exhaust pop. Cant figure out what it is.

Any update on this? Mine just did it to me this morning. I do think your correct with it being the AP. I noticed driving yesterday the AP restarted itself while driving. Shut the car down for a couple minutes and turned it back on everything kicked back in no issues.

me32

1000 Post Club
How is the battery in the car for everyone having the issues? I notice looks like everyone has a 2014.

Last edited:
How is the batter in the car for everyone having the issues? I notice looks like everyone has a 2014.
Batter? Once I restarted the car hasn’t done it again today. It was weird how the AP lost connection when it did it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry i ment battery
I haven’t noticed any issues. My key battery light was giving me the lore battery for a day or two. Anyone else by chance have keys telling you to replace battery?

haste

1000 Post Club
I haven’t noticed any issues. My key battery light was giving me the lore battery for a day or two. Anyone else by chance have keys telling you to replace battery?

Yeah, my 2015 gave warnings about low battery in both key fobs...replaced the batteries and no more warnings.

I had the car about 30 months before the batteries crapped out.

It's always good to know you're not the only one... :)

Same thing happened to me today! Got the car around 2 weeks ago so it was extra freaky for me. With the polar vortex sub freezing temperatures I've been having issues with the battery dying, drove around a little bit to charge it after jumping it then stopped for some coffee. Came back in, started the car and got the solid wrench + no throttle input, almost got into an accident in the parking lot before I realized didn't have throttle!

I think it is at least battery/electrical/OBDII related - seems a bad or low amperage start may trigger it (upon coming back to the car I had to crank the car a bit/hold start button to get it finally fire). I nursed back into the spot and shut it off. Waited a few, couldn't get it started 2 or 3x, was about to call Ford until finally on the last try the Sync screen said to hold clutch + brake (weird never had to do that before) and sure enough it started back up with no issues (no wrench and throttle back to normal).

These are Symptoms that really say to me issue with electrical/PCM than anything mechanical in the car.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Electronics can do some absolutely wacky things when they get wonky power that isn't being completely filtered out by capacitors. A good battery functions as big capacitor for the vehicle, doing a lot to filter out large fluctuations in power. It is a good idea to check and confirm whether these issues cease with a new battery, and that your voltage drop readings are good from battery to frame and frame to engine. (running with all accessories on max draw for power)

me32

1000 Post Club
Electronics can do some absolutely wacky things when they get wonky power that isn't being completely filtered out by capacitors. A good battery functions as big capacitor for the vehicle, doing a lot to filter out large fluctuations in power. It is a good idea to check and confirm whether these issues cease with a new battery, and that your voltage drop readings are good from battery to frame and frame to engine. (running with all accessories on max draw for power)
This exactly what i was thinking. They should actaully have the battery tested.

My car was built in July 2017...Took delivery with around 40 miles so I dont think the car was really abused sitting on the lot all those months... then again they could have used it as a boom box for the lot and ran down the battery cranking the radio without the engine running, who knows.

Either way definitely bringing it back, hopefully its a no fuss / battery shakedown test says bad , here’s a new motorcraft battery, on your way then/type deal

Intuit

3000 Post Club
It wasn't the car I was going to buy because it didn't have the options I was seeking, but I agreed to the salesman's offer to test drive it anyway. It was sitting out in front of the dealership on 'showcase', so-to-speak. He went in, grabbed the key and came out -- dead as a door nail. Not one utter of life. He said someone left the lights on. He went back in for a minute, came back out with a Li-Ion jumper battery and fired it right up. Went on that test drive.

Anyway, it is well known that some batteries never really recover after going completely flat. There is some possibility that whoever buys that car, will have a drastically shortened life span out of that battery.

That is true, learned the hard way on my '03 Mustang back in the day - going through batteries until finally Ford replaced the Alternator and it was all good.

Took the ST back to Ford, as I hoped it was an easy peasy , battery test bad / heres a new battery, have a nice day type deal. They said they've been seeing a lot of new owners coming back for new batteries due to the weather here in the east coast.

Also CarPlay was not working before the new battery, very much true that the battery health is key to the electronics in the car. Once i got the new battery, CarPlay recognized the phone with no problems. One more thing to think about if you're noticing your sync 3 only picking up your iPhone or android for carplay/android car sporadically ....

OP
C
Thread Starter #18
Sorry, havent been around for awhile. For me, it only happened when i had the AP uninstalled, or on Stg 0, and it was plugged in. Hasnt happened again since I installed the custom tune, months ago. Mayve been a firmware thing that has long since been addressed. idk.