Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Coilovers for RallyX?

Looking for recommendations. Need to be properly sized to use stock ride height and either stock springs or similar rates. And of course need to be robust and USA-rebuildable.

I've seen some that can be raised to stock height, but then they have marginal rebound left. Understandable since most of the market wants a lowered street stance.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You cannot use the actual stock/factory springs on coil overs since they are a different (too large) an inside diameter to work with coil over collars/lock rings.

kevinatfms

Do they need to be coil overs? A set of Bilstein B8's could be another option. Lifetime warranty on the pressure side of things. I'd make a set of shields to protect them from frontal impacts and go that route with stock springs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KKaWing

If using Bilsteins, use the B6's. You want the full stroke for RallyX rather than a shortened stroke with the B8s. Flatout suspension does rally coilovers. Give them a shout, they'll fix you right up. They're USA based and all.

OP
R
Thread Starter #5
I haven't been able to convince myself that B6's are a performance step up. Everyone says they're softer on the road than OE. Bilstein does have an excellent reputation for ruggedness, so they ought to make a good replacement shock if I blow the OE's. Unfortunately the B6 fronts are low-end twin tube and cannot be reworked by the shock shops. The rears however are mono and can be custom tuned. So maybe half a solution.

I'll check out Flatout, thanks.

BTW M-Sport, there are in fact coilovers which fit OE springs. They're generally about compliance with class rules that require stock springs but allow shock changes. XIDA has them for the ND MX5's for example. Not saying I expect or really care about finding them for the FiST.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
BTW M-Sport, there are in fact coilovers which fit OE springs. They're generally about compliance with class rules that require stock springs but allow shock changes. XIDA has them for the ND MX5's for example. Not saying I expect or really care about finding them for the FiST.
Yeah, after I posted that I figured that someone, somewhere must make large perch/seat platforms on their coil overs to accept 5.00" to 5.5" I.D. factory type springs, but yes, I have never seen them for OUR rides. ;)

MeisterR

Vendor
If it comes down to it, we can probably make something like that.
The price for all the custom work, that is the questions.
Also, are you looking into 1-way or 3-way adjustable damper?
Are you looking to stay with upright design or going to an inverted design damper?
Do you need to reuse OEM top mount, or are you allow aftermarket top mount.

All that makes a difference. I cannot see why it cannot be done, but if it is economical is the questions.

Jerrick

OP
R
Thread Starter #8
My needs are approximately stock height and approximately stock spring rates with single adjustables front and rear. So not much different from a highway setup except it needs to be robust and rebuildable since it will take a beating. Some thought would have to go into the bumpstops. The adjustments would have to be something I can do quickly between runs.

Rules allow for replacing the top mount, slotting or re-drilling the upper body mounting holes, but the center clearance hole must remain unchanged.