Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Floor Jack Area

Hello all,

I haven't come across anything really beneficial that'll help answer my question. So, am I able to lift up the FiST using the subframe? I understand about the four jack points along the side skirts, but I'm looking for more stability when I do oil changes, change the exhaust, etc.

Thank you in advance!

- JR

Is it really wise to use a floor jack on those flanges (or whatever) running between the wheels? I did that on my '05 focus and the flange collapsed. Granted it was much older than the FiST, but it still scares me to do that.

I've got a pair of these which do help when jacking at the frame rails/seams. On Amazon, about $6 each. This is a link to the ones I ordered, but it looks like they have changed the materials somewhat, as the photo looks different than the ones I received a few years back. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00W2NMO3Y/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

Is that slot deep enough to allow the pad to contact the frame? Or does it just provide some additional support for the rail?

I'll have to look closely at mine. It's close. There are different size pads with varying depths to accommodate the crimp height and allow contact with the rail; shop around. (I originally bought the pair for my old Audi so I just re-purposed them w/ the FiST.) Even if they don't allow the rail to contact the pad, the cushioning helps to prevent bending the crimp. I've had good luck with mine, YMMV.

I'll have to look closely at mine. It's close. There are different size pads with varying depths to accommodate the crimp height and allow contact with the rail; shop around. (I originally bought the pair for my old Audi so I just re-purposed them w/ the FiST.) Even if they don't allow the rail to contact the pad, the cushioning helps to prevent bending the crimp. I've had good luck with mine, YMMV.
Great, thanks for the info. I'll have to get some of these.

I have two of those slotted pads currently available from EBAY. The regular (smaller) one has too shallow a slot to reach all the way past the pinch weld, but it's still pretty protective. The larger, with "75mm" in it's title is nearly twice the size and has a very deep slot completely accepting the pinch weld. Search "75mm jack pad" from EBAY. Only available from China when I bought. Took about a month.

OP, you might want to consider Rhino Ramps or equivalent for safe and secure oil changes etc.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
So if the blue ares are strong enough for a jack, why can't they also be used for a jack stand?
Have you ever looked at a Jack stand and then compared it to an Actual Hydraulic Jack itself? The round Flat portion sometimes has a rubber insert & also has twice the surface area of a jack stand 99.99% of the time. Plus those areas are Prone to Jack stand slippage in Blue. NO GO! . PINCH WELDS are where the Jack stands go as they are very Strong and specifically designed to support weight for extended periods of time.

pixelzombie

Have you ever looked at a Jack stand and then compared it to an Actual Hydraulic Jack itself? The round Flat portion sometimes has a rubber insert & also has twice the surface area of a jack stand 99.99% of the time. Plus those areas are Prone to Jack stand slippage in Blue. NO GO! . PINCH WELDS are where the Jack stands go as they are very Strong and specifically designed to support weight for extended periods of time.
That's why I also have rubber pads on my floor jacks as well.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
That's why I also have rubber pads on my floor jacks as well.
Your missing the point......Jackstands are meant to be used due to them being concave for something that is convex. I too also have Rubber inserts for my Jack stands but that is to protect the pinch welds and jack stands from being metal on metal to avoid paint removal over time.

When I was looking up jack points after I got my car a little while back, I noticed very few folks talked about using the central jacking points on the front subframe and rear beam. For the record, I’ve been using those to put the car on jack stands and they work great.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Ive never seen a jack on a pinch weld roll and slip....But I did have a friend Die..... Do too working alone and the jack was put into a NON Common Jack stand application spot then slip and crush him to death. Food For thought....[thankyou]

Ford ST

2000 Post Club
Ive never seen a jack on a pinch weld roll and slip....But I did have a friend Die..... Do too working alone and the jack was put into a NON Common Jack stand application spot then slip and crush him to death. Food For thought....[thankyou]
I jack the vehicle on the pinch welds, and I also put the jack stands there.
Fully agree.

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

I hate jacking this car.The short wheelbase always makes the car sit on an angle on the stands.

Given, I also have a 2 post lift and an alignment rack so there's really no need for a floor jack unless I'm installing my side skirt extensions.