Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How does this car behave with 300whp?

antarctica24

I have the DHM GTX360R kit and make 305 to the wheels. The car is an absolute beast. You can still drive it easy and not get into boost and it is pretty tame, but when I get on it, it feels like a rocket. I did have a lot of torque steer and traction issues, but I have since installed the Pierce Motorsports chassis bracing. The six-point sub-frame brace, trunk brace, torsion bar, and strut brace. The car has much less torque steer and launches straight when before it would tend to go to one side. It is very controllable even at wot after the bracing. Having all that power on tap is just really really really fun and nice to have.

That being said, it is a completely different car than a stock or even stage 1-3 FiST. When I got the car back from DHM I had to re-learn how to drive it because the power band had changed so much both in shape and overall power. I am also running Federal 595 RSR tires which are very grippy and barely DOT legal.
It seems everyone is saying the same thing. Anyone can feather the throttle, right? Your fiesta could be making 800 hp, and still feather the throttle and drive it around town. I for one would feel much better being pushed around instead of being pulled around by the front wheel drive. My guess is 300/300 is at the upper limit of what would be considered safe at WOT. Having done this several times on a 2700lbs car, Im not saying you cant make more, and drive it down the drag strip, and Im not saying you cant take it to a regular race track, or even drive it like a raped ape around town, but with anything under stress, the components in the car that make up the drive train were not built to deal with all of that. I think its great that you were able to install the 6 point brace, trunk brace, torsion bar, and strut brace, and that it helped with the torque steer, but I think above 300 one might consider installing chromemoly roll cage components. Just because you can drive the car with your foot on the throttle touching the floor, does not mean the car can take sustained driving like that. You have to take the suspension, bushings, brakes, and weight distribution into account. I am assuming your still running on stock bushings? The chassis needs to be stiffened up significantly to deal with the extra horse power. The other thing that no one has seemed to mention is the front axles. How much torque are they rated at? what about the wheel lugs? I would even go so far as to say that 275/275 is probably the max upper safe limit of the chassis as it is from the factory. That doesn't mean you cant remedy that, but most people are not going to that trouble to upgrade all the necessary components to support 300/300 and above. I think the best example of this is the Mountune MRX turbo. They have been doing this a long time, and with everything they could have done, they chose to stop at 275/275. I think with their history of being conservative, and being able to maintain the factory warranty on their 215 and 220 kits, do you know of anyone else that can claim that?

There are probably about 20 different turbo options, if you add a DHM motor, you can certainly take this thing well over 400, and there is a guy in South Africa whos claiming 13.2 in the quarter who says hes has the fastest one in the world. I dont know if that is true or not. But to be safe, you need to upgrade the vehicle to adequately support the extra power. If you dont, I can show you hundreds of fails on youtube, where they added the power, but didnt take into to account the supporting infrastructure to safely run the extra power in this chassis.

Im running the DHM Quickspool Gt2560r kit, if anything its made the car handle more like a regular boosted car, the power comes on more linear and it holds for much longer. I was running the oem 205 tire and it made throttle control hugely important to get the power to the ground but nothing crazy or uncontrollable. The car was still manageable and fun to drive, with little torque steer.

I've since flared my car so I can fit a 235 wide R compound tire...

The car absolutely destroys corners, I can do complete pulls through 2nd gear without spinning, and its been the best decision i've made. It does torque steer slightly now but I think that has more to do with the wider tire and being an r compound then the upgraded turbo.

I love my car with 300whp. I get bored quick and want more power so I'm looking to do an aux fuel kit soon but the x47 Definetly woke up the sleeping beast. I just hate this summer heat out here in the desert. :)