Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Member 30 Rep Points MegaBuster's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    rosamond
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

How does this car behave with 300whp?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I have been mulling a turbo upgrade for my FiST but I am slightly hesitant since its a Front Drive car with an open diff. Will upping the power with an upgraded turbo start to cause handling and traction issues that a set of 200 treadwear tires won't be able to handle? I don't really have the energy to put a LSD in the car and want to maintain the balance of the overall package and not end up fighting for grip non stop because of the power and torque.

I do intend to track the car as soon as the fall as is with an intercooler and an Etune for E30 and 200 treadwear tires. I don't want to unbalance the car too much by adding more power than the chassis will take and perform well with on the track. I would rather be flat foot than feathering the gas trying not to spin up a tire all the time.

Senior Member 238 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Blaine
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I too agree with this statement....not to many people have posted how they behave with video posts or anything....i plus one this also..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

Member 246 Rep Points Fiesta ST of the Month Winner Pete's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    San Diego
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    55 Post(s)
    Tagged
    5 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Mods: All of them

Youtube: TShirt Driving
    Instagram: @TshirtDriving

Senior Member 238 Rep Points TyphoonFiST's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Blaine
    State
    MN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I could care less about the Tach...id like to see both Tach & Speedo and how they actuate with the new turbo.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
    Is this your bush? Are you king of the forest?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Albuquerque
    State
    NM
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

That Intake can go to hell

New Member 10 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Gainesville
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

If you aren't lead-footing the throttle and know how to modulate I'm sure it'll be totally fine. I get a lot of wheel spin off the line with bone stock motor and no tune as it is
    2016 Molten Orange Fiesta ST
    Recaro option | Non-Nav
    Lathe Werkes Piston shift knob | Mishimoto OCC | Symposer Delete | Resonator Delete w/ Magnaflow muffler & 2 1/2" pipe

Member 225 Rep Points BronxBomber's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Orlando
    State
    FL
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    20 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I'm at 296whp and 292lb/ft, so pretty much 300whp and car drives great. A lot of it depends on the turbo you're running and the tune. You can have a 300 whp FiST with a bigger laggy turbo or have a hybrid that isn't tuned for smooth boost build up. My car drives like stock around town, just with a lot more power and holds it till redline when you get on it. There are plenty of videos on YouTube of FiSTs making close to 300WHP and over. Here is a link to me just driving mine and getting on it a little to 105mph.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=IVP_k9QEUjA
    COBB AP V3 - COBB FMIC - COBB RMM - CFM BREATHER - MISHIMOTO CAI- FSWerks CATBACK
    DEPO CATLESS DP - GFB DV+ BOV - MISHIMOTO CHARGE PIPES with SYMPOSER DELETE
    MOUNTUNE SPRINGS - ADVANTI RACING STORM S1 17x8 et +45, KUMHO ECSTA LE: 215/40/17,
    CYBORG 39 TURBO w/TURBO JACKET & BIG INLET - PORTED EXHAUST MANIFOLD w/HEAT WRAP

Member 127 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Vienna
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Interesting question, and I don't think anyone so far has really addressed the spirit of it, which is "how is a 300 whp 2700 lbs FWD economy car going to perform at the limit?" I admit to not having any first hand experience in one, but I can tell you a couple things for sure. One is that you will almost certainly be faster with that extra power on most tracks, if that is your only goal. Two is that achieving the fastest possible lap times in a higher powered FWD car will likely require changes to both your line and your inputs (to include both throttle and steering input). Assuming the same tires, the more torque you produce, the less you can turn the wheel without creating understeer. Thus, if you want to go full throttle out of the corner, you will either need to enter slower or hit the apex later (or both) in order to stay on track. Three is that your suspension setup is essential to answering this question. Weight shifts back under power, taking it off of the front wheels (which are both steering and delivering power) which is why you lose traction in the first place. A suspension that can keep the car more flat under power will allow you to put more power down, but obviously there are tradeoffs to this.

None of these points completely answers your question, but I think it can only really be answered by someone who drives a similar car in similar conditions to you. Even then, a lot of it will come down to driving style. At some point though, you are going to encounter diminishing returns and the compromises you have to make in terms of your line and inputs to maintain traction would make you slower than an equivalently powered RWD car. The question though is, what is your alternative? Stick with what you got? Buy a RWD or AWD car? Or go big turbo and just deal with the torque steer and traction issues? There are good arguments for any of those.

Member 58 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Indianapolis
    State
    IN
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    8 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

a fiesta with 300whp runs like a raped ape.

Senior Member 613 Rep Points M-Sport fan's Avatar

Medals
    City
    Solebury
    State
    PA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    I personally would not want even that much power without the best limited slip Torsen style diff I could get installed into the transaxle FIRST, before the bigger/improved snail and fueling systems/tune!!
    Magnetic 2016 Fiesta ST base model

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast