Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

To ST now, or ST later?

Hey everybody!

I’ve lurked here for a while, but am thinking of jumping in soon for real. My question is to FiST now, or FiST later? As I see it, this could go either way, with the pivotal variable being whether or not Ford decides to bring the new ST to our shores. As far as I’m aware, we don’t know yet if Ford will even continue selling the Fiesta here at all.

From where I sit, the pros of buying a Fiesta ST now:
• Used STs seem pretty affordable now. These may inflate if Ford cuts the ST from the US lineup, pushing the car to a desirable cult status?
• Not having to wait for the 2018 models to come out. Instant getification!
• Not having to take the depreciation hit of buying new, as there won’t be any used next gen cars yet
• (Presumably) limited availability of aftermarket support, mods, etc. for a period of time after launch for the next gen cars
• Large preexisting knowledgebase currently available for this generation (thanks to you guys!)

Pros of waiting for a next gen:
• New features, drive modes, etc.
• I'm a big fan of how the new cabin looks, and what tech it would bring the table
• Having a shiny next gen ride

Currently I'm leaning towards the 'get one now' side of things, but have I missed anything in my reasoning here? Is anyone in the same situation? Any other insights would be greatly appreciated! [thumb]
Thanks in advance everyone. Assuming I can easily offload my current fun car, you may be seeing a WTB posting from me soon!

You are thinking between current gen 1.6 turbo and the next gen 3 cylinder?
Do you plan to mod? Have you thought how much hp you desire?
What type of driving? Is it a commuter?

At the end of the day it's still a fiesta lol get the best price
If you want to mod, I'd get a late 2015 model, 2016+ have an annoying intake configuration, 2014 have warranty issues with head/coolant

zanethan

As you pointed out it's doubtful if the new Fiesta will ever hit the shores of NA. That being said the ST will never appreciate in value despite what several forum members say. Used FiSTs can be had with low miles for cheap if you look hard enough. I say go ahead and buy now, why wait for what will probably never be.

Ooh, tough call. You have laid out all the pros and cons really well though. I really don't think they are gonna bring the next gen FiST over here, and depending on what happens with NAFTA and CAFE, they may phase out the Fiesta altogether in the US. I'd say see what kind of deals they have for Memorial Day or July 4, or maybe look into a used 2016. That said, there's probably little harm in waiting. If you wait and a new model does arrive, you'll be able to get the previous gen models for a song, or go with the new gen if you really like it. If it doesn't come to the US, any appreciation or "cult classic" status will probably take some time to work its way into used car pricing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Waterfan

A new FiST is the best fun/value-for-money available today. A lightly used FiST is a SUPER RIDICULOUSLY good fun/value-for-money. (I got a 2014 CPO with 17k mi and could not be happier)

(what is all this doubt that the new Fiesta/FiST won't come to NA?)

OP
W
Thread Starter #8
Thanks everyone for the input!

To answer skidro87's questions, it would be used primarily for daily driving, with some light adventuring and mountain road carving thrown in. No real plans for autocross or trackdays, mostly just looking for a fun, practical DD that is capable of handling a couple of inches of snow. (I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and the AWD winter beater wagon would come out for the big storms.) In regards to mods, most of what is on my short list is cosmetic and geared for cargo. However, I may be interested in adding power, as I would be stepping from a 350Z roadster into this car and losing about 100HP and RWD. (I like the Z, but it's a 2 season car where I live, has about the same cargo volume as a lunchbox, and I just don't love it enough to justify keeping it with its drawbacks.) Also, thanks for the tips about the best years to get for modding.

That's a great point about NAFTA and CAFE, I didn't consider that. I just kind of assumed they wouldn't bring it back because of the current SUV/CUV craze taking over sales.

Waterfan

Thanks everyone for the input!

To answer skidro87's questions, it would be used primarily for daily driving, with some light adventuring and mountain road carving thrown in. No real plans for autocross or trackdays, mostly just looking for a fun, practical DD that is capable of handling a couple of inches of snow. (I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and the AWD winter beater wagon would come out for the big storms.) In regards to mods, most of what is on my list is cosmetic and geared for cargo. However, I may be interested in adding power, as I would be stepping from a 350Z roadster into this car and losing about 100HP and RWD. (I like the Z, but it's a 2 season car where I live, has about the same cargo volume as a lunchbox, and I just don't love it enough to justify keeping it with it's drawbacks.) Also, thanks for the tips about the best years to get for modding.

That's a great point about NAFTA and CAFE, I didn't consider that. I just kind of assumed they wouldn't bring it back because of the current SUV/CUV craze taking over sales.
From 350Z to FiST also losing (3600-2750) 850 lbs for a better power to weight ratio in the FiST (stock to stock comparison, 2009 350Z - 310/hp/3600lbs; FiST 200hp/2750lbs).

I would not personally turn away from 2016+ because intake is one of the low priority mods in my book. Get a reusable panel filter and be done with it :) (Tune and IC are the top 2 power adders short of going BT.)

OP
W
Thread Starter #10
Good point about the P/W ratio. I have a 2005 Z which came rated at 286HP, so the ratio is even better!

Another draw to the FiST is that I live at 6,000 feet, and most of my driving takes place between 4,000 and 9,000 feet. My forever-a-project wagon (points if you can guess what it is from my username[:p]) is twin-blown, and I can't really feel a difference when driving at elevation. The Z, though, is NA and definitely feels like it runs out of breath at times when ripping about in the mountains. Having a boosted car suits my wants pretty well.

You're right, the SUV/CUV craze (and cheap gas) is what is ultimately killing cars like the Fiesta. The only reason it still exists in the US market is because a) CAFE forces manufacturers to make small, fuel efficient cars, and b) NAFTA allows them to make the cars more cheaply in Mexico. If either of those change under the current administration (both of which seem somewhat likely if they can avoid scandal for long enough to pass something), it may be the last straw.

My biased opinion: get one now!
The next-gen one is an unknown quantity. It may not be fun like we hope.
The current version is an absolute riot, and pretty ridiculously cheap this model year (I think car sales have been cratering all over?).
Aside: I definitely recommend at least taking it to an autocross and taking advantage of the free driving school (if you go new). It is super drifty but in a gentle, not-going-to-kill-you-even-if-you're-an-idiot way.

OP
W
Thread Starter #13
Another great thing to consider! The current model is a complete known, and I can pretty easily modify most of the things that I would like to see improved in the cabin. Whereas the new model could bring awesome cabin improvements for example, but also other issues that are as yet unknown. Dealers in my area are stickering new base 2017s just south of 18k, which seems really decent. (Recaros and the sunroof are dealbreakers for me though.)

I have friends I could visit in Salt Lake City, maybe I should just make a long weekend of it and head down to Octane Academy! [biggrin]

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
You are thinking between current gen 1.6 turbo and the next gen 3 cylinder?
Do you plan to mod? Have you thought how much hp you desire?
What type of driving? Is it a commuter?

At the end of the day it's still a fiesta lol get the best price
If you want to mod, I'd get a late 2015 model, 2016+ have an annoying intake configuration, 2014 have warranty issues with head/coolant
The 16's annoying intake is permanently cured with a Ford $60 hose without bypassing anything like some of the "fixes".

The real question is will there be an '18 ST in the U.S.? Ford still has made no announcements nor "spy" photos showing any being tested here. Ford's statement with the European debut was a vague something about addressing the North American market later. Wonder when later will be? If we don't get a new one the smart dealers will order lots of loaded '17's and rape the people that want one. If we do and it uses the 1.5L then for street use there will be little difference. But for those that will mod the car it could be a problem of waiting for new mods. I love my '16 and will even more with the sync update. Wrench on![wrenchin]

OP
W
Thread Starter #16
The 16's annoying intake is permanently cured with a Ford $60 hose without bypassing anything like some of the "fixes".

The real question is will there be an '18 ST in the U.S.? Ford still has made no announcements nor "spy" photos showing any being tested here. Ford's statement with the European debut was a vague something about addressing the North American market later. Wonder when later will be?
This is excellent info, thanks.

Ah, you've hit the crux of my question!

Sync 3 definitely has me leaning towards a 2016+, if for nothing else than Android Auto. Although I think I remember reading some threads a while ago saying that AA is possible even on older years? I'll have to go re-investigate that.