Hello and welcome to our Fiesta ST Forum community! Is this your first visit?
Register

See the top rated post in this thread. Click here

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
7 Likes

Thread: To ST now, or ST later?

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Sun Valley
    State
    ID
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

To ST now, or ST later?

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Hey everybody!

I’ve lurked here for a while, but am thinking of jumping in soon for real. My question is to FiST now, or FiST later? As I see it, this could go either way, with the pivotal variable being whether or not Ford decides to bring the new ST to our shores. As far as I’m aware, we don’t know yet if Ford will even continue selling the Fiesta here at all.

From where I sit, the pros of buying a Fiesta ST now:
    • Used STs seem pretty affordable now. These may inflate if Ford cuts the ST from the US lineup, pushing the car to a desirable cult status?
    • Not having to wait for the 2018 models to come out. Instant getification!
    • Not having to take the depreciation hit of buying new, as there won’t be any used next gen cars yet
    • (Presumably) limited availability of aftermarket support, mods, etc. for a period of time after launch for the next gen cars
    • Large preexisting knowledgebase currently available for this generation (thanks to you guys!)

Pros of waiting for a next gen:
    • New features, drive modes, etc.
    • I'm a big fan of how the new cabin looks, and what tech it would bring the table
    • Having a shiny next gen ride

Currently I'm leaning towards the 'get one now' side of things, but have I missed anything in my reasoning here? Is anyone in the same situation? Any other insights would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance everyone. Assuming I can easily offload my current fun car, you may be seeing a WTB posting from me soon!

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points  
    City
    Calgary
    Country
    Canada
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

You are thinking between current gen 1.6 turbo and the next gen 3 cylinder?
    Do you plan to mod? Have you thought how much hp you desire?
    What type of driving? Is it a commuter?

At the end of the day it's still a fiesta lol get the best price
    If you want to mod, I'd get a late 2015 model, 2016+ have an annoying intake configuration, 2014 have warranty issues with head/coolant

Member 70 Rep Points
    Ratings | Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Lincoln
    State
    NE
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Welcome! I would get one now, but that's just me.
    2016 base model

New Member 17 Rep Points silverblueBP's Avatar
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points  
    City
    Ames
    State
    IA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Don't deny yourself the fun! Go get one this afternoon.
    Mark

Shadow Black 2016
    cp-e RMM
    Injen intake filter
    LED headlights

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    Charlotte
    State
    Non-US
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

As you pointed out it's doubtful if the new Fiesta will ever hit the shores of NA. That being said the ST will never appreciate in value despite what several forum members say. Used FiSTs can be had with low miles for cheap if you look hard enough. I say go ahead and buy now, why wait for what will probably never be.

Member 115 Rep Points
    0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    Arlington
    State
    VA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ooh, tough call. You have laid out all the pros and cons really well though. I really don't think they are gonna bring the next gen FiST over here, and depending on what happens with NAFTA and CAFE, they may phase out the Fiesta altogether in the US. I'd say see what kind of deals they have for Memorial Day or July 4, or maybe look into a used 2016. That said, there's probably little harm in waiting. If you wait and a new model does arrive, you'll be able to get the previous gen models for a song, or go with the new gen if you really like it. If it doesn't come to the US, any appreciation or "cult classic" status will probably take some time to work its way into used car pricing. Good luck with whatever you decide.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    Earned First 5 Rep Points Earned First 25 Rep Points Earned First 75 Rep Points Earned First 100 Rep Points  
    City
    SoCal
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

A new FiST is the best fun/value-for-money available today. A lightly used FiST is a SUPER RIDICULOUSLY good fun/value-for-money. (I got a 2014 CPO with 17k mi and could not be happier)

(what is all this doubt that the new Fiesta/FiST won't come to NA?)
    2014 Fiesta ST, Oxford White, Recaros, Navigation, Symposer Delete ($4 Expansion Plug), FSWerks Short Shift (25% setting), COBB AP3 (OTS 91 v220), Fiesta Aluminum Spare Tire (-16.6 lbs), 205/45-16 BFG Sport Comp 2 on 16x7 ET40 Maxxim Winner (-16.4 lbs), K&N Air Filter

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Sun Valley
    State
    ID
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Thanks everyone for the input!

To answer skidro87's questions, it would be used primarily for daily driving, with some light adventuring and mountain road carving thrown in. No real plans for autocross or trackdays, mostly just looking for a fun, practical DD that is capable of handling a couple of inches of snow. (I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and the AWD winter beater wagon would come out for the big storms.) In regards to mods, most of what is on my short list is cosmetic and geared for cargo. However, I may be interested in adding power, as I would be stepping from a 350Z roadster into this car and losing about 100HP and RWD. (I like the Z, but it's a 2 season car where I live, has about the same cargo volume as a lunchbox, and I just don't love it enough to justify keeping it with its drawbacks.) Also, thanks for the tips about the best years to get for modding.

That's a great point about NAFTA and CAFE, I didn't consider that. I just kind of assumed they wouldn't bring it back because of the current SUV/CUV craze taking over sales.

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals
    City
    SoCal
    State
    CA
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

2 Likes

Quote Originally Posted by Wagoon2.7TT View Post
    Thanks everyone for the input!

To answer skidro87's questions, it would be used primarily for daily driving, with some light adventuring and mountain road carving thrown in. No real plans for autocross or trackdays, mostly just looking for a fun, practical DD that is capable of handling a couple of inches of snow. (I live in the middle of nowhere Idaho, and the AWD winter beater wagon would come out for the big storms.) In regards to mods, most of what is on my list is cosmetic and geared for cargo. However, I may be interested in adding power, as I would be stepping from a 350Z roadster into this car and losing about 100HP and RWD. (I like the Z, but it's a 2 season car where I live, has about the same cargo volume as a lunchbox, and I just don't love it enough to justify keeping it with it's drawbacks.) Also, thanks for the tips about the best years to get for modding.

That's a great point about NAFTA and CAFE, I didn't consider that. I just kind of assumed they wouldn't bring it back because of the current SUV/CUV craze taking over sales.
    From 350Z to FiST also losing (3600-2750) 850 lbs for a better power to weight ratio in the FiST (stock to stock comparison, 2009 350Z - 310/hp/3600lbs; FiST 200hp/2750lbs).

I would not personally turn away from 2016+ because intake is one of the low priority mods in my book. Get a reusable panel filter and be done with it :) (Tune and IC are the top 2 power adders short of going BT.)
    2014 Fiesta ST, Oxford White, Recaros, Navigation, Symposer Delete ($4 Expansion Plug), FSWerks Short Shift (25% setting), COBB AP3 (OTS 91 v220), Fiesta Aluminum Spare Tire (-16.6 lbs), 205/45-16 BFG Sport Comp 2 on 16x7 ET40 Maxxim Winner (-16.4 lbs), K&N Air Filter

0%
    Rate Transaction

Medals

City
    Sun Valley
    State
    ID
    Country
    United States
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

1 Likes

Guest-only advertisement. Register or Log In now!
    Good point about the P/W ratio. I have a 2005 Z which came rated at 286HP, so the ratio is even better!

Another draw to the FiST is that I live at 6,000 feet, and most of my driving takes place between 4,000 and 9,000 feet. My forever-a-project wagon (points if you can guess what it is from my username) is twin-blown, and I can't really feel a difference when driving at elevation. The Z, though, is NA and definitely feels like it runs out of breath at times when ripping about in the mountains. Having a boosted car suits my wants pretty well.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast