Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
I was going to step down in size to the Cobb to save some weight, other mods as well, as my car was unbalanced under high speed braking. Since the Cobb has more surface area directly in the air flow than the J-Line I did not expect a big reduction in effectiveness, at least on track. I ordered the Cobb while out of town and it arrived well before returning then I found out about the DHM and it was going to end up even lighter than the Cobb and modified stock bumper beam, big turbo decided, made since to go right to the DHM.

iso100

1000 Post Club
I hope you plan to cut out your bumper a ton. Even the J-Line has 30% of the surface area obstructed if you don't cut stuff.

All my data logs are with no cutting.

RAAMaudio

5000 Post Club
When I installed the J-Line.
Bumper beam was notched, and filled in where the notch was removed to make it strong again.
Grill was fully opened up so the radiator and oil cooler had maximum flow.
ABS sheet cut, heated, shaped, etc to seal all the air flow through the coolers possible.

IC was sealed so air coming in the lower grill did not blow around it.
Lower radiator support was opened up to allow more airflow out the rear of the IC.

Next up, looking at design and parts ideas to open up the bumper cover for more direct airflow onto the IC.

I have a lot of hours into maximizing the effectiveness of the cooling system and IC:)

dyn085

2000 Post Club
I'll throw my logs into the data pool for others to look over.

Here's a log showing a 2.7 degree rise over a full 3rd gear pull. This is my car with the J-Line and I don't have any part of my bumper cut out yet. A full 30% of the IC is obstructed right now.

http://datazap.me/u/iso100/randy-custom-base-map-log-2?log=0&data=1-4-5-8&zoom=75-138

Here's one showing a 4 degree rise:
http://datazap.me/u/iso100/randy-cu...t-1-wot-log-1?log=0&data=1-4-5-8&zoom=112-172

Here's a log showing from a dead stop through 3rd gear. This is a 1.8 degree rise:
http://datazap.me/u/iso100/revision-15s-stop-through-3rd?log=0&data=4-5-8-21&zoom=0-67

In terms of fill time I looked at ETC Angle Actual for two of my logs and looked at the time to peak boost.

Stock: 1.09s from 1.87psi to 21.57psi
J-Line: 1.12s from 1.49psi to 23.78psi

That's a 0.11s difference versus stock but it's rising 22.29psi instead of the stock 19.7psi rise. Most importantly the charge temp rise is 3 degrees while the stock FMIC rose 21 degrees.

I'm not saying the DHM IC is not a great product... I just don't see it as the best option out of all the options for people with stock turbos.
Your second set doesn't show. Either way, those are some seriously good numbers and probably the best I've seen.

I this is prob just me... But when you guys are running almost stock boost levels, this "4 degrees of change" stuff isn't very telling. Maybe try some 27psi falling to 20-22psi at redline results. If your turbo isn't really challenging the coolers, than its not really showing anything other than the fact that its properly sized for what your asking of it. My panda cooler may show a 20degree change, but... Its also being overly challenged as well.

Not saying that to show or prove any cooler vs another, just simply stating that other than the stock cooler, none of these coolers are being challenged at stock or 1-2psi above stock with boost that falls below 20psi above 6200rpm. Take that for what it is... Other wise, every cooler available right now works GREAT at stock boost levels.
Given the varying differences of CAT increases that we're seeing with different FMIC's, it's actually more telling than you might admit. There are always going to be a few people that go BT and it's not applicable to, but the majority of owners are going to stay on the OEM turbo. For majority of those that are, this is highly pertinent because the best FMIC for the OEM turbo is not going to be the best for BT, and vice-versa. If you're 'challenging' a FMIC due whatever reason, then you need a better FMIC regardless of what turbo is being used.

So after reading through this everyone has there own opinions what fmic is best for stock turbo?

dyn085

2000 Post Club
So far, my opinion is the Airtec or J-line, but there hasn't been a 'lot' of data to pour through. I would probably rate it like this currently-

J-Line
Airtec
Cobb
Mountune

Others fit in that list somewhere, we just don't exactly know where. This also doesn't take into account cost, shipping costs/times, or ease of install-strictly improvements in CAT.

MOFiST

^ looks interesting especially at that price. Nice looking end tanks. In the description it says the same core as Cobb uses. Good find there.

Finally got time to fit the MTC intercooler today.[wrenchin]
I had to trim the plastic under the intercooler to make it fit, otherwise its plug and play.
This intercooler is definately a tight fit, nothing bigger will fit in the original place.
Build quality is good. I had mine sprayed black with no logo for more stealth.
Pics are not super.

MTC 2.jpg MTC 3.jpg MTC 4.jpg

Here's a link from Motortrend that says they are.
http://m.motortrend.com/roadtests/hatchbacks/1303_2014_ford_fiesta_st_first_drive/
While it has two extra doors and weighs more, there are no other hardware differences between the U.S. and European models. From the engine to the suspension to the tires, all the parts are the same, although some tuning differences exist.
I just ordered one. Cobb core, plug-n-play, and cheaper than the DHM which is the cheapest currently. $370.28 shipped from the UK sounds good to me. I'll post pics when I get it and install it.

Has anyone tried a universal ic besides the jline seems to be overkill imo. I'm about to take the bumper and do it because I can't see why pay $$ for an ic. I've looked through the forums haven't really found what I was looking for.