Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

J2FoRS

I've noticed there's a few companies powder coating intercoolers these days. Is this no longer a topic of concern? I know years ago everyone was up in arms about it. I'm assuming it doesn't affect the efficiency of the cooler? Is it just a normal powder coating job or is there a special method for IC's? I know Mountune offers there's in black, and Mishi, and now [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION]. I am just curious as I am possibly wanting to purchase an IC and have it done black locally.

DHM1

1000 Post Club
I've noticed there's a few companies powder coating intercoolers these days. Is this no longer a topic of concern? I know years ago everyone was up in arms about it. I'm assuming it doesn't affect the efficiency of the cooler? Is it just a normal powder coating job or is there a special method for IC's? I know Mountune offers there's in black, and Mishi, and now [MENTION=1098]DHM[/MENTION]. I am just curious as I am possibly wanting to purchase an IC and have it done black locally.
Powder coating a intercooler is still a concern and should be. We do a special process. The front and rear fin's get tapped off. once baked we remove the front tape and do a light coating while the rear of the fin's get zero powder. This allows for less than a 10% loss in efficiency from coated to non coated.

Russ

J2FoRS

Powder coating a intercooler is still a concern and should be. We do a special process. The front and rear fin's get tapped off. once baked we remove the front tape and do a light coating while the rear of the fin's get zero powder. This allows for less than a 10% loss in efficiency from coated to non coated.

Russ
Perfect thank you so much Russ. Knew I could count on an informed response. That being said I'm hoping the others offering coating follow the same sort of practice. I think I'll skip having it done mself, just in case! Thanks again!

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
So does anyone have a consensus on how the Depo Racing intercooler performs? I like the price but I'm skeptical of the results I've seen so far.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have one. Fitment and build are great. Intake and charge temps appear to usually be within 2* of each other or the same. I've noticed a few instances where charge dips below intake. I recall with the stock unit temps were usually 4 to 6* of each other. Not very scientific so if you want me to log any specific parameters I'd be happy to.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I'm just wondering how it compares in temperature differences with the competitors. Don't get me wrong, this intercooler is an amazing deal but I don't want to be regretful down the road and have to re-upgrade.

WeTheNorth

1000 Post Club
Well, imo unless you're getting the DHM race cooler and Crashbar. This will perform just as good as any of the direct fit intercoolers out there. It's been super hot here on the WestCoast and it really impressed me. Zero regrets, will actually be buying the pipe kit from Depo next. Have nothing but praise for this brand

airjor13

2000 Post Club
If I were to do it all over again, I would have gone straight for the DHM Race IC but I am very happy with the performance for the factory fit IC, even with the Quick Spool kit! The thing is a freaking icebox

Kip2MyLou

2000 Post Club
If I were to do it all over again, I would have gone straight for the DHM Race IC but I am very happy with the performance for the factory fit IC, even with the Quick Spool kit! The thing is a freaking icebox
Same here. My factory fit IC from DHM is great.

What kind of charge/intake Temps do you see with the factory fit paired with the quick spool?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Received my MTC Intercooler already, ordered midway last week. Impressive arrival time coming from the UK. Arrived in perfect condition!

airjor13

2000 Post Club
What kind of charge/intake Temps do you see with the factory fit paired with the quick spool?
Usually cruising around 5-7* above ambient, in boost 0*-3* above ambient, I think the max I have ever seen is like 11* above ambient after some hard pulls. This thing sheds heat very well too as soon as you start moving.

Usually cruising around 5-7* above ambient, in boost 0*-3* above ambient, I think the max I have ever seen is like 11* above ambient after some hard pulls. This thing sheds heat very well too as soon as you start moving.
Damn, that is impressive. I want to pull the trigger on it, but I have a feeling my fianc? would be pissed haha.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Damn, that is impressive. I want to pull the trigger on it, but I have a feeling my fianc? would be pissed haha.
Women come and go. But mods...mods are forever.

But seriously, i just deliver to the job when i don't want the wife to know ;)

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
I am upgrading my FMIC tomorrow and have watched a bunch of videos so I think I've got it down. Any other tricks or tips you guys can share?

Having extension drivers and swivel sockets makes removing the bumper easier. Having another buddy to help you will make it that much easier, especially with aligning the bumper back on.

I am upgrading my FMIC tomorrow and have watched a bunch of videos so I think I've got it down. Any other tricks or tips you guys can share?

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Thanks for the tip! I saw a video DIY from Mishimoto that shared those tools as well. Got everything I need, can't wait to get it done tomorrow.

HaveBlue83

It seems the FiST has some cooling issues with the rad....how are the B&P stype doing with hard runs? Seem like people have been doing work to improve flow to and away from the radiator. Im still stock but i see Mountune and Mishi went with tube and fin because of airflow needs to the rad.

I beat on my cat HARD for 20min plus drives to work and what not so i dont wanna overheat. A friend overheaded his car that is 100% stick in a 69sec auto X run! Boiling hot coolant.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Installed my MTC intercooler today. I was initially put off by having to remove the front bumper, which is partially why I waited so long. But I watched Mishimotos video guide and it was a breeze. The MTC intercooler is a very nice quality piece and is a steal for just over $350 shipped. No modification required for fitment besides the middle support tab needing to be removed, which is shown below.

Going under the knife

MTC vs Stock

The one fitment concern is that due to the height of the MTC intercooler, you have to remove the middle support tab. Luckily it is held with an 8mm bolt and comes right off.

Mocked up

Charge hoses on

Done!