Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

out with the mountune in with the cp e ,,,,,,mountune was great with 215 and 230 kit. not so great with hybrid turbo. cp e has a touch of lag.....actually quite cool. air charge temp has very little rise under boost. love it....boyracer

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
out with the mountune in with the cp e ,,,,,,mountune was great with 215 and 230 kit. not so great with hybrid turbo. cp e has a touch of lag.....actually quite cool. air charge temp has very little rise under boost. love it....boyracer
^^^SO happy to hear this! [twothumb]

Now I just need to find the garage freed up, straight-through time (probably 8+ hours for ME, at my skill/experience level with this car and NO shop manual to work from [:(]) to get the cp-e, and Mountune hose kit installed.

don't need a manual. the cp e directions have only one problem. the bottom lip piece is held on with three bolts. the middle plastic support piece needs to come off completely. it will stab the center of the new intercooler.
....make it a weekend project. bumper cover off, new cooler in place saturday. Sunday reassemble. just saying

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^EXCELLENT video, as usual, Brian!

GREAT points, some of which no one else it seems has even considered yet (condensation).

I also am more than a little paranoid about blocking too much of the radiator, whether the almost inadequate factory unit, OR higher capacity for heat dissipation aftermarket, with a giganormous IC, even if it is a tube and fin type which supposedly flows more (now extra HEATED, remember!) air through it. ;)

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thanks M-Sport Fan!

I am still running comparisons, but so far, it seems that my oil temp has come down a few degrees at the end of my commute. Pretty sure the coolant temp would also drop a few as well. I normally idle at the end of my commute until the oil temp reaches 189'F and then shut down. It usually takes 30 seconds or so to bring the oil temp down under 190'F, but this morning it was already in the 180's when I arrived. Now, it was a few degrees cooler this morning. I still need more testing, but the Mountune intercooler surely keeps the charge temp more consistent with less spikes under boost, but also seems to flow more air to the radiator as well. Looking at the open area between the tubes compared to the factory one, this would indeed indicate there is some truth to it. The other day I saw a ST online with a massive intercooler, big mouth intake, and Hella horns installed. I bet the effective area of the radiator was about the size of an 8 x 10 photo. I really think putting in a big intercooler and a bunch of stuff in front of the radiator is just asking for overheating issues. There is also overcooling the air and getting condensation. That is why the RS used a block-off plate. Too much cooling and condensation inside the system.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, and some even have MORE blocking the radiator than that, the humongous IC, horns, BIG MOUTH, PLUS; a light bar, and Mishi oil cooler*!! [crazyeye]

Then they wonder WHY their factory radiator cannot keep up in 100*F+ ambient temps. LOL

*Which is why I would like to find another location for an oil to air cooler than what everyone currently uses. ;)

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Thanks M-Sport Fan!

I am still running comparisons, but so far, it seems that my oil temp has come down a few degrees at the end of my commute. Pretty sure the coolant temp would also drop a few as well. I normally idle at the end of my commute until the oil temp reaches 189'F and then shut down. It usually takes 30 seconds or so to bring the oil temp down under 190'F, but this morning it was already in the 180's when I arrived. Now, it was a few degrees cooler this morning. I still need more testing, but the Mountune intercooler surely keeps the charge temp more consistent with less spikes under boost, but also seems to flow more air to the radiator as well. Looking at the open area between the tubes compared to the factory one, this would indeed indicate there is some truth to it. The other day I saw a ST online with a massive intercooler, big mouth intake, and Hella horns installed. I bet the effective area of the radiator was about the size of an 8 x 10 photo. I really think putting in a big intercooler and a bunch of stuff in front of the radiator is just asking for overheating issues. There is also overcooling the air and getting condensation. That is why the RS used a block-off plate. Too much cooling and condensation inside the system.
It flows more air to the rad because its a tube and fin. It allows more air through but doesn't shed heat as efficiently. Condensation is only a problem in colder climates even then its rare.

http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0304-turp-intercooler/

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
It flows more air to the rad because its a tube and fin. It allows more air through but doesn't shed heat as efficiently. Condensation is only a problem in colder climates even then its rare.

Which for me, works just fine. I worry about condensation in the stock intercooler in the winter when the charge temps are in the single digits. I won't run the Mountune intercooler in the winter as it will just get damaged from all the stones/sand/salt/ice that hammers the front of my car and I don't need any additional cooling.

Which for me, works just fine. I worry about condensation in the stock intercooler in the winter when the charge temps are in the single digits. I won't run the Mountune intercooler in the winter as it will just get damaged from all the stones/sand/salt/ice that hammers the front of my car and I don't need any additional cooling.
Have you thought about putting some mesh in the grille to protect the IC and radiator?

I had an idea of wire mesh like a screen door hot glue or fastened in some way to the back side of each opening.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

You think so? Bugs that I collect are enough to bend the fins. Sure, a few won't make a difference, but five years worth will.

Adub

From Ken @ Mountune original post: http://fiestast.net/threads/intercoolers-which-is-better-black-or-silver-tube-fin-or-bar-plate.2021/

Since you asked.

As you more than likely know the only real choice for any inter-cooler is the extruded tube and fluxed fin arrangement.
The main point worth noting is that bar and plate cores are designed for use in oil heaters and other industrial applications and tube and fin cores are designed for air heat transfer.

The low cost option primarily used is the bar and plate arrangement which is extremely cost effective but has the added penalty of weight, poor heat transfer from the external ambient air cooling source and very high pressure drop internally from its core design. The bar and plate inter-cooler matrix tempts the user into thinking they have purchased a road usable product because it performs extremely well for short periods of time typically on dynos. The mass of the unit is the key to its ability to give good air charge temperatures, however once warmed up it is very difficult for the bar and plate core to dissipate this heat. The other issue with bar and plate inter-coolers are the matrix core density which hinders across core airflow (ambient side). This causes cooling issues for any other radiators or cooling requirements packaged behind it. In other words you get great air charge temperature reduction on a dyno, but the engine temperature sky rockets as the radiator can't get enough cooling because its behind the intercooler.

The advantage of a tube and fin unit is that it has good heat transfer properties with low weight and low pressure drop across its core. They work much better than any other type of intercooler core. They also allow a higher quantity of air to flow across the outer of the core matrix (ambient) and onto other cooling items mounted behind it like the radiator. This is of particular advantage for road cars as most cooling packs include at least three/four items stacked all requiring airflow. The internal design also helps with reducing pressure drop across the core and this in turn allows a much larger core for a given pressure drop. The only real disadvantage to the tube and fin intercooler core is increased manufacturing cost.

As most of our products are warranty friendly with Ford the use of the tube and fin intercooler is paramount as it allows us to gain power increases by maximising the cooling pack efficiency with reduced air restriction.

As for the color - in real world driving the difference is negligible.

Ken.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
LOL of course he is gna back the tube and fin. Thats mountunes design. However, almost all power cars use bar and plate. Hands down.

P.s. Randy also claims to have made 240whp on stock turbo with 93 octane...

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Have you thought about putting some mesh in the grille to protect the IC and radiator?

I had an idea of wire mesh like a screen door hot glue or fastened in some way to the back side of each opening.

Yes, in the winter I use a fine mesh stainless steel grille in front of the intercooler. It did help, but the fins were still in bad shape when I removed it in the spring. Of course the more you move them back into place and they get smashed again, the weaker the fins become. The mesh I used was similar to that of a screen door, but much stronger.

Clean, but still stuck in winter mode by Bryan Redeker, on Flickr

GAbOS

Just a quick note to add to the discussion regarding concern of oil temps. Water boils at 220. Ive had discussions with amateur race teams that want a minimum of 220 to make sure water boils from the oil system.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
However, almost all power cars use bar and plate. Hands down.
OK, given, but, does he have a point about the sustained power capabilities of the tube and fin design, due to NOT heat soaking like bar and plate setups?
When you say "power cars", are you talking about drag race/dyno/street race scenarios where one hard blast is enough, heat soak AFTER that be damned, or sustained hard use, like on a road course, or mountain driving/etc.?

Also, he is correct about the 'flow through' to the radiator being better on the tube and fin ICs, than on the bar and plate deals, no?

I am NOT defending one over the other, in fact, I actually HOPE you are correct since I have a brand new, still in box, uninstalled cp-e IC sitting in my basement, and I seriously want to know what is what BEFORE I either install it, OR sell it, and install the largest drop-in, factory fit tube and fin i can find. ;)

Last edited:

Adub

OK, given, but, does he have a point about the sustained power capabilities of the tube and fin design, due to NOT heat soaking like bar and plate setups?
When you say "power cars", are you talking about drag race/dyno/street race scenarios where one hard blast is enough, heat soak AFTER that be damned, or sustained hard use, like on a road course, or mountain driving/etc.?

Also, he is correct about the 'flow through' to the radiator being better on the tube and fin ICs, than on the bar and plate deals, correct?

I am NOT defending one over the other, in fact, I actually HOPE you are correct since I have a brand new, still in box, uninstalled cp-e IC sitting in my basement, and I seriously want to know what is what BEFORE I either install it, OR sell it, and install the largest drop-in, factory fit tube and fin i can find. ;)
The choice is up to you.

But keep this in mind, I think if Mountune engineering thought that a bar and plate was superior for the car's existing design they would have used one.

Last edited:

KKaWing

If anyone wants to try the tube and fin, Forge Motorsports IC from an ebay seller was ~750 CAD shipped iirc. That one has temperature data. R-Sport (pumaspeed) also as a stage 2+ version that is also "squared" tube and fin for a bit less.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

Also, he is correct about the 'flow through' to the radiator being better on the tube and fin ICs, than on the bar and plate deals, no?

Ill tell you this much, if you want to sell the CP-E ill buy it. Bar and plate is tons better imo. Im talking any car with that is using a turbo out of its efficiency range where the turbo is chopping air and super heating it. I live in 100+ weather an have never seen heat soaking at all. Never.

The choice is up to you.

But keep this in mind, I think if Mountune engineering thought that a bar and plate was superior for the car's existing design they would have used one.
Mountune egineering? HA you mean the ones who put a 11psi wg spring on a 2554 saying it will hold 26+ to redline? You give them way to much credit.