Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

Ill tell you this much, if you want to sell the CP-E ill buy it. Bar and plate is tons better imo. Im talking any car with that is using a turbo out of its efficiency range where the turbo is chopping air and super heating it. I live in 100+ weather an have never seen heat soaking at all. Never.

Living in OKC, it gets hot. When I accelerate, the charge temp cools pretty quick relative to the 25mph I go, but when I'm coasting, it heats up quite a bit.

I might have to agree with you on the bar and plate. Being as these are street cars and not dedicated track cars, the weight and efficiency might not make that big of a difference. I'm all for an actual test though. However, we all know the weather can change faster than we can swap an intercooler.

If someone wants to send me one of each intercooler designs, I'll be happy to test them out. 1 month each. [emoji2]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

alexrex20

1000 Post Club
I can't get my charge temps to climb more than 12deg over ambient, even when it's 100+ and I'm really driving like an asshat. I have the Depo which is bar and plate aka the inefficient one lol

I have tested two. the mountune works only with the stock turbo. anything past 85 outside temps with a x37 it doesn't work. the c pe works with the x37. no theory on construction, just actual use.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I have tested two. the mountune works only with the stock turbo. anything past 85 outside temps with a x37 it doesn't work. the c pe works with the x37. no theory on construction, just actual use.
You're not in the hottest part of this nation, but when it does go over 90*F there, with the cp-e IC, does your coolant temp seem to rise quicker, and to a higher level (and stay there) than it did with the factory, or Mountune ICs?
(Trying to get a read on the whole tube and fin being a "better flow through to the radiator setup" than a bar and plate theory. Of course, the extra power of your setup will also tend to raise the coolant temp on it's own, so it does become difficult to accurately discern the differences within this comparison.)

Quisp

1000 Post Club
Isn't well documented that the Mountune IC is sub par in cooling? M sport throw that cp-e in and load the tune winters coming.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
For me, the Mountune intercooler is ideal since I live in a cooler climate and don't plan on ever changing the turbo. In fact, I think the last modification I do for performance is a catted downpipe and that may not even happen. Reliability is one of the biggest goals of my ST since it is my daily driver and needs to operate in all weather conditions. I have my Mustang to tinker with since that rarely leaves the garage.

I can easily see that if you have a few bolt-on parts, a conservative tune, and live in a climate where 90'F is rare, you really don't even need to upgrade the intercooler. For driving down the highway going to work, the factory one does just fine. Even autocrossing, the factory one is fine. I had much warmer charge temps sitting in traffic (when you don't need boost anyway) than I have seen autocrossing. Where I have seen the Mountune intercooler really show an improvement is a hard acceleration from 2nd-3rd-4th, which almost never happens on the street. I did have an opportunity the other day to finally get on the throttle and noticed how much lower the max charge temp was compared the stock intercooler. The maximum temp was around 10'F over ambient after acceleration compared to the 20'F over with the stock one. Normal driving sees a few degrees lower with the Mountune one versus stock. It was above 90'F where I really noticed the stock intercooler was struggling, and I haven't been able to compare the Mountune intercooler at the temp since it hasn't been that warm this week. Actually, it may not be over 90'F for the rest of the year.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
You're not in the hottest part of this nation, but when it does go over 90*F there, with the cp-e IC, does your coolant temp seem to rise quicker, and to a higher level (and stay there) than it did with the factory, or Mountune ICs?
(Trying to get a read on the whole tube and fin being a "better flow through to the radiator setup" than a bar and plate theory. Of course, the extra power of your setup will also tend to raise the coolant temp on it's own, so it does become difficult to accurately discern the differences within this comparison.)
Mine does but it did when i had the stock cooler as well. The Rad is severely undersized for this app. Is it any different than the stock cooler? Not that I can tell. Most of the cooling is done through the top grill anyhow.

Mine does but it did when i had the stock cooler as well. The Rad is severely undersized for this app. Is it any different than the stock cooler? Not that I can tell. Most of the cooling is done through the top grill anyhow.
That is where the coolant is hottest as well. I've seen one person do it, but not sure of the results, but if you need more cooling, cut out the blocked off hexagonal area and allow more air flow.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Isn't well documented that the Mountune IC is sub par in cooling? M sport throw that cp-e in and load the tune winters coming.
I keep hearing this as well, but from all my searches it's mixed results. Seems that if you have the stock turbo it does a good job. Anything bigger (ie hybrid turbo from mountune) and a larger intercooler like the one from mountunes's european site will be required (if you want tube and fin).

I'm the one who bought boyracer's Mountune IC and I do drive in 90+ degrees weather almost daily. IC temps are lower compared to stock by at least 10 to 20 degrees depending on ambient temps. I'm pleased with the Mountune for my stock turbo and Stratified tune thus far. I don't have any real data though, just what I've seen on the AP display. My coolant temps are stable and in the normal range, I've never had overheating issues knock on wood.

D1JL

7000 Post Club
Staff Member
Premium Account
U.S. Navy Veteran
My experience is that the Montune IC is better than stock but I am not pushing 300+ hp.

Dave

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
note the different tunes. The first comparison is Cobb tune with stock intercooler and next is stratified with Mountune intercooler. For me to put any faith in the data, I would need to see the data pulled from the same tunes at the same ambient temp. Where were the temps taken? There are too many variables to really make anything out of it. Even the sample size is small, one data set each? To be statistically viable, it needs far more data points. I am not saying the data is false, but rather much more data with less variables are needed to compare anything.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
For daily driving it's been a great IC for me compared to the stock one. Despite being a biased source, I'd really like to hear Randy's take on it.
I'd like to hear his take on alot of things but its not gna happen. The Mountune IC just doesnt have the depth or surface area to be efficient

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
note the different tunes. The first comparison is Cobb tune with stock intercooler and next is stratified with Mountune intercooler. For me to put any faith in the data, I would need to see the data pulled from the same tunes at the same ambient temp. Where were the temps taken? There are too many variables to really make anything out of it. Even the sample size is small, one data set each? To be statistically viable, it needs far more data points. I am not saying the data is false, but rather much more data with less variables are needed to compare anything.
You question proven Ic setups and try to defend the unproven?

I'd like to hear his take on alot of things but its not gna happen. The Mountune IC just doesnt have the depth or surface area to be efficient
You're probably right. I just needed something to tide me over until I upgrade the turbo and the Mountune works pretty well with the stock configuration IME.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
LOL of course he is gna back the tube and fin. Thats mountunes design. However, almost all power cars use bar and plate. Hands down.

P.s. Randy also claims to have made 240whp on stock turbo with 93 octane...
I don't think Mountune invented tube and fin. I also know they have been building Racing turbo engines for a long time. Mountune had a choice to make and CHOSE tube and fin and give detailed info on why. Why when they can choose either do you think they chose the more expensive core type if it did not work better? What motive would there be to choose a lower performance type? The tech info seems to make sense. Can you give details as to why "almost all power cars use bar and plate" beside the reason of it being cheaper? I am curious where Mountune went wrong technically in your opinion. What makes bar and plate better?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
THANK YOU for that feedback! [thumb] [:)]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I've seen one person do it, but not sure of the results, but if you need more cooling, cut out the blocked off hexagonal area and allow more flow.
MANY on here do this, but, it is usually those with at least the DHM tubular crash bar installed, (if not their Race IC as well) doing this mod BECAUSE they are the only ones who could actually see any cooling benefit from it, due to them not having the factory crash bar blocking the whole section which is covered by the un-modded grille. ;)