Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

Based

Ok I'm not reading through this entire thread. Can someone give me some info on how the MAP intercooler compares to the rest? I'm thinking about ordering one tonight if the word is good.

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
They are all going to be pretty similar, with the exception of the few top dollar units. Even then, for daily driving the differences will be pretty slim (at least in my opinion, unless someone can mount each intercooler to the same car and do datalogs under the same conditions).

Based

They are all going to be pretty similar, with the exception of the few top dollar units. Even then, for daily driving the differences will be pretty slim (at least in my opinion, unless someone can mount each intercooler to the same car and do datalogs under the same conditions).
Will just an upgraded intercooler make me any gains without a tune?

Looks like I will be selling my Cobb IC and be purchasing a Wagner Industries intercooler from modbargains

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

OffTheWall503

1000 Post Club
Some members have said that they gained power on a stock tune on the same dyno. That could be the case, but if anything the intercooler provides better efficiency that allows consistent power. Gains can be had with a proper tune that takes advantage of it.

The potential liability if a passenger in my car ever got hurt is exactly why I'm not going the DHM race intercooler route. It's a shame, because their hardware is some very nice stuff! I think I've settled on CPE as well, oddly enough.
We do make a factory fit fmic as well! [emoji6] Same high quality and no crash bar or modifications needed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I believe it would affect transient boost times but ultimately charge temps would be more constant. So, during normal driving where you go from no/negative boost to positive boost it would make those transitions take longer due to the massive increase in volume the turbo must fill to pressurise the system.

I measured a noticeable (although not awful) decrease in IC fill time with my Mishimoto J-Line. That's a 34% larger volume than stock. The DHM Race is 55% larger in volume. It will feel exactly like turbo lag.
It's not even measurable. Customers who are running our race fmic and the stock turbo have not noticed any difference in spool or lag. Although our intercooler is of a higher quality than the mishi (not hating, I ran the J line on my focus st).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Based

Some members have said that they gained power on a stock tune on the same dyno. That could be the case, but if anything the intercooler provides better efficiency that allows consistent power. Gains can be had with a proper tune that takes advantage of it.
Hmm ok. I just bought an APV3 last night via the classifieds. I'm waiting for the Depo Racing intercoolers to come back in stock. I'm gonna buy the intercooler before I get a custom tune from Tune+.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It's not even measurable. Customers who are running our race fmic and the stock turbo have not noticed any difference in spool or lag. Although our intercooler is of a higher quality than the mishi (not hating, I ran the J line on my focus st).

I would step right up to your Race IC, even on the chance of minor pressure drop, or minute lag on the stock turbo setup, but I am not too sure IF I want to go the crash bar route just yet.

Yes, I know you make the stock fit deal, but, I think that the CP-E is tops at that fitment/app, and if I go DHM, it is going to be full on RACE IC, or nothing else.
Obviously, if I went to ANY of your BT kits, the full Race IC/crash bar setup is requisite. [wink]

My MAP intercooler gave me 10whp over the stock one and I'm still on the stock tune with no AP (so I can't monitor charge temps either but I trust they're near ambient now). On the same dyno went from 181whp to 191whp. HOWEVER, I don't feel the difference at all, on the dyno I was expecting low 180s so I was surprised to see my results (+7 lb-ft of torque too). Without a tune the car will be marginally faster but not enough to feel it :(

[/URL][/IMG]

just found this on local classified, do you guys think it may worth the try? the core is 3.5x6.5x24 2.5in/out the guy wants 100$

Looks like it would probably fit? That's just based on looking at some sizes here http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3755-Which-Fiesta-ST-Intercooler-did-you-choose

If it were me I wouldn't bother. There are other direct fit options for relatively cheap that will likely perform much better. DEPO, MTC, Whoosh can all be had for about $350. What's another $250 for something that will give you peace of mind? Just my .02 cents.

Do you need to buy new charge pipe kit with a new intercooler? Does it help that much? I've seen some of the install videos showing people hooking up to the stock pipes. Not sure if they are worth the extra money.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I am going to go aftermarket (cp-e) on the hot side ONLY piping, to get rid of the 'baffle' thing, even though it will NOT give me one iota more of; power/charge temp drop/spool/etc.

The factory hoses and clamps are really the only possibly weak/lacking parts in the factory charge air piping setup, and I will probably get the Mountune/Samco stuff, and some TurboSmart constant tension clamps for all of the piping connections when I install the cp-e IC sitting in my basement. ;)