Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Fiesta ST Intercooler Info Thread

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Now this is hilarious. Mountune designs a shitty undersized ic that can't keep charge temps down with any kind of power and people jump in to defend it. The attempt at trolling is hilarious and amateur at best. lol where did I say ford designed the mountune fmic? I stated " if ford cared about performance and not penny pinching they would have made the ic with cast ends not plastic" as in ford IC...the stock one. Lol come on you can do better slick.
Btw I've yet to see any knowledge you have on the engine or anything on this car. Enlighten us. Since you know so much about mountune, how about getting the compressor maps for the turbo. Better yet, call and ask since they know all. I'll wait.
Do you believe it is mine or Randy's or anybody's job to educate you? Is that your problem with Randy, he will not hold your hand and explain what he does for a living to you? Why don't you contact Mountune UK with your demands for info? I think you have burned your bridges with Mountune USA. Did I miss the many posts on the massive number of failures of the stock IC due to plastic end caps?

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Do you believe it is mine or Randy's or anybody's job to educate you? Is that your problem with Randy, he will not hold your hand and explain what he does for a living to you? Why don't you contact Mountune UK with your demands for info? I think you have burned your bridges with Mountune USA. Did I miss the many posts on the massive number of failures of the stock IC due to plastic end caps?
Once again you have proven the lack of knowledge you posses. Still waiting on that education. All you've done is gargle Mountunes balls. You have yet to spout any knowledge except of how great Mountune is and how that sack taste. I hope I burned that bridge to the ground. I'd like for him to explain getting 240whp out of a tune and IC only on 93 octane. I'd like an expalnation regarding a upgraded wg coming out right after everyone notices the boost tapering off into oblivion. Then charging people for it. Ive contacted Mountune USA and they didnt have a damn clue. So now i must contact the UK since they have no one stateside that can Give me an answer. Some knowledge base they have.
Mountune builds a few gd parts. Exhaust being the main one. However, the IC is seriously lacking. Buy it if you want, IDC not my car. As for me I will stick with the proven . BTW its been known for sometime that the tube and fin is cheaper. Thats a big reason the OE uses them.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Once again you have proven the lack of knowledge you posses. Still waiting on that education. All you've done is gargle Mountunes balls. You have yet to spout any knowledge except of how great Mountune is and how that sack taste. I hope I burned that bridge to the ground. I'd like for him to explain getting 240whp out of a tune and IC only on 93 octane. I'd like an expalnation regarding a upgraded wg coming out right after everyone notices the boost tapering off into oblivion. Then charging people for it. Ive contacted Mountune USA and they didnt have a damn clue. So now i must contact the UK since they have no one stateside that can Give me an answer. Some knowledge base they have.
Mountune builds a few gd parts. Exhaust being the main one. However, the IC is seriously lacking. Buy it if you want, IDC not my car. As for me I will stick with the proven . BTW its been known for sometime that the tube and fin is cheaper. Thats a big reason the OE uses them.
Once again......get someone to read the link you posted to you......where they talk about how difficult tube and fin is to make. But being more difficult to make them it is miraculous that it is cheaper to produce them isn't it? Again....wow! Until you learn to read I give up on you.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Once again......get someone to read the link you posted to you......where they talk about how difficult tube and fin is to make. But being more difficult to make them it is miraculous that it is cheaper to produce them isn't it? Again....wow! Until you learn to read I give up on you.
Blah blah. Everyone knows that tube and fin is cheaper to build. Its common knowledge. That's Why OE's use it. If Mountune said the earth is flat you'd be backing that shit as well.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...7-intercooler-tech-bar-plate-vs-tube-fin.html

Blah blah. Everyone knows that tube and fin is cheaper to build. Its common knowledge. That's Why OE's use it. If Mountune said the earth is flat you'd be backing that shit as well.

https://www.evolutionm.net/forums/e...7-intercooler-tech-bar-plate-vs-tube-fin.html
Hi Re-rx7,

I thought you said you were done...but I guess you have been busy trolling again. That's weird...even on that same link you just posted (2nd Page) the costs comparison show the tube and fin being more expensive. Three high end sports car companies Audi, Porsche and BMW all use tube and fin as their OEM intercooler. Are you saying they are cheap as well and don't know what they are doing? Will you ever drop this...?[dunno]

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Hi Re-rx7,

I thought you said you were done...but I guess you have been busy trolling again. That's weird...even on that same link you just posted (2nd Page) the costs comparison show the tube and fin being more expensive. Three high end sports car companies Audi, Porsche and BMW all use tube and fin as their OEM intercooler. Are you saying they are cheap as well and don't know what they are doing? Will you ever drop this...?[dunno]
Actually BMW and Audi are not considered high end. Like I said go ahead by that tube and fin, IDC it your car. HKS and Greddy have always been known to charge stupid premiums for their stuff. It's japanese so it must be better. Hell yea Ive been busy proving you turds wrong. Drink mountune Kool-aid boy.

Activate in 3.2.1

Actually BMW and Audi are not considered high end. Like I said go ahead by that tube and fin, IDC it your car. HKS and Greddy have always been known to charge stupid premiums for their stuff. It's japanese so it must be better. Hell yea Ive been busy proving you turds wrong. Drink mountune Kool-aid boy.

Activate in 3.2.1
Excuses, excuses you seem to have one for everything..those are just overpriced because they are from Japan...Audi and BMW are not considered high-end...Ever heard of the Audi RS4, RS5 or R8? Those are cheap cars right? Or the BMW M5, M6 or i9? I guess the Ford GT, which has a tube and fin IC is considered not a high end sports car because Ford built it. Please stop acting like a petulant child.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Excuses, excuses you seem to have one for everything..those are just overpriced because they are from Japan...Audi and Porsche are not considered high-end...Ever heard of the Audi RS4, RS5 or R8? Those are cheap cars right? Or the BMW M5, M6 or i9? I guess the Ford GT, which has a tube and fin IC is considered not a high end sports car because Ford built it. Please stop acting like petulant child.
No its japanese it must be better. ALl the better, yea i dont consider the rs4 or 5 pricey cars. Like I said by that rinky dinnky mountune IC and compare it. Enjoy numbnuts,

So.....Anyways, just recently I installed 2j racing intercooler. Not too shabby, needed more quality control definitely. It was a bitchily to install. Had to loosen the crash beam to have it fit semi-properly. Now it scrapes all day long. Joe is not all to good with answering any emails or phone calls what so ever, in my experience with him. On to the good part though... Charge air temps dropped 25 degrees Fahrenheit. That's pretty good in my book. My Cobb intercooler did exactly the same as well!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Personally, at this point, I do not care which one is more efficient by a few degrees or so of cold side charge air temp on the factory snail setup (with or without a tune), since pretty much ALL of them (whether tube and fin, OR bar and plate) are going to be better than the factory IC, in both one hard all-out pull, and continuous repeated hard driving. ;)

I just do NOT want to HAVE TO change out the radiator to one of the aftermarket ones RIGHT NOW in order to not be overheating due to not enough frontal air flowing through the IC core to said radiator. [nono]
Hopefully, what re-rx7 said about most of the coolant cooling being done by the TOP, fully exposed portion of the radiator is the reality in this case, (and WHY I refuse to block it even a tiny little bit with all of the add-on 'accessories' so many do behind the grille on these cars). ;)
Do you plan on tracking the car? If not, I wouldn't worry about replacing your radiator and would stick with CP-E.

I have the CP-E and paid pretty close attention to the coolant and oil temperatures prior to and after installing the CP-E, and in daily driving, I did not notice any difference. I drive about 50 miles each day with a mix of highway and stop and go, and as far as coolant and oil temperatures I noticed no difference. I haven't had any overheating issues in 95 degree weather. I can't comment on track overheating (yet), but in straight-line performance and daily driving the CP-E intercooler performs very well.

I would venture to say people have had overheating issues even on the stock intercooler (when tracking), so if you aren't tracking the car I think you can feel pretty confidently about not replacing the radiator. If you are serious about tracking, you may have to replace the radiator regardless of the intercooler.

antarctica24

Hey guys and gals

As some of you are aware I am in the process of getting my MRX Mountune turbo tuned. I thought this would be a good time to share some data regarding my FMIC.

So I have this
https://www.maperformance.com/colle...tercooler-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-ic

I have had it on the car for about 70,000 miles. The ends are beefy, but more importantly they are cast, and make really nice smooth turns. It was a direct replacement.

that said, at 26.68 lbs of boost.
Here was the conditions today

Elevation was 2208
Barometer was 27.526 inHg
Temp at 5:00am time of run was 47 Degrees
Humidity was 58%
Location just outside of Reardan WA

Charge Temp according to data log at maximum boost was 52 degrees at 4048 RPM 26.68 lbs of boost and hit a maximum of 66 degrees at 6400RPM, I am in the final stages of my tuning and was told no need to red line the car.
So at maximum boost I saw a gain in charge temp of 5 degrees and at its worst it looks like 19 degrees.
I dont know if this is good or not, but I thought it might be useful data to somebody.

Hey guys and gals

As some of you are aware I am in the process of getting my MRX Mountune turbo tuned. I thought this would be a good time to share some data regarding my FMIC.

So I have this
https://www.maperformance.com/colle...tercooler-upgrade-2014-ford-fiesta-st-fist-ic

I have had it on the car for about 70,000 miles. The ends are beefy, but more importantly they are cast, and make really nice smooth turns. It was a direct replacement.

that said, at 26.68 lbs of boost.
Here was the conditions today

Elevation was 2208
Barometer was 27.526 inHg
Temp at 5:00am time of run was 47 Degrees
Humidity was 58%
Location just outside of Reardan WA

Charge Temp according to data log at maximum boost was 52 degrees at 4048 RPM 26.68 lbs of boost and hit a maximum of 66 degrees at 6400RPM, I am in the final stages of my tuning and was told no need to red line the car.
So at maximum boost I saw a gain in charge temp of 5 degrees and at its worst it looks like 19 degrees.
I dont know if this is good or not, but I thought it might be useful data to somebody.
Do you have a comparison to the stock in similar conditions?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

antarctica24

Wanted to share a tip

Considering I have close to 180K on my car at this point, I discovered a hidden secret to help extend the life of my radiator and intercooler.

I got the idea watching a company clean my Coils on my AC unit at my house.

Which let me to this
https://www.lowes.com/pd/WEB-Green-White-Aerosol-Foam-Coil-Cleaner/1000024695

Its very cheap $8.00. You wet you FMIC and radiator, and then spray and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Then rinse off. The fins will be like new.

If yours is really dirty they make a heavy duty version of this stuff but you have to go to a a/c supply store to get it.

If you already knew about it, then sorry to reshare.

Wanted to share a tip

Considering I have close to 180K on my car at this point, I discovered a hidden secret to help extend the life of my radiator and intercooler.

Which let me to this

Its very cheap $8.00. You wet you FMIC and radiator, and then spray and let sit for 5 minutes or so. Then rinse off. The fins will be like new.

If yours is really dirty they make a heavy duty version of this stuff but you have to go to a a/c supply store to get it.

Nice one and thanks for sharing, I'll give it a go

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Wanted to share a tip

Which let me to this

Yes, THANKS for that tip, as it sure beats trying to manually clean them, and then bending the fins in the process!! [thumb]

AzNightmare

So.....Anyways, just recently I installed 2j racing intercooler. Not too shabby, needed more quality control definitely. It was a bitchily to install. Had to loosen the crash beam to have it fit semi-properly. Now it scrapes all day long. Joe is not all to good with answering any emails or phone calls what so ever, in my experience with him. On to the good part though... Charge air temps dropped 25 degrees Fahrenheit. That's pretty good in my book. My Cobb intercooler did exactly the same as well!!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk
IMO, you made a mistake from going COBB to 2JR. Volume wise, I'm not even sure if the 2JR is bigger...

Wanted to share a tip

Which let me to this

an issues if it gets on the paint?