Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Seized rear caliper guide pins

Thanx, [MENTION=2253]CanadianGuy[/MENTION] !

I was going to check them out. Also was going to ask you where you got your recent brake parts and your Federal R-SR 595's.

You were correct; $951 was for rotors, pads & labour.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #22
Here are the part numbers for the rear caliper repair and Hawk 5.0 pads. I noticed a number of websites have conflicting part numbers for the pads, so I want to get the right numbers posted.

Reman Caliper (red) Motorcraft BRCF274 C1BZ2553B
Bracket (red) Motorcraft BRBCR10 98AZ2B511A
Guide Pins Carlson H5084
Boots Carlson 16040
Hawk 5.0 front Hawk hb725b.650
Hawk 5.0 rear Hawk hb430b.547

The caliper bracket includes the guide pins and boots installed, but I ordered an extra set as a spare. They are cheap and since auto parts stores don't believe that a Fiesta exists with rear disc brakes, it is best to have a good selection of spares on the shelf. The caliper, bracket, and hardware all came from Rock Auto. They are one of the few places that actually has ST rear brake parts. Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, and Advanced don't even show the parts for the ST rear brakes. Rock Auto had good prices and affordable expedited shipping. The pads came from Amazon. I had trouble finding a website with the correct part numbers. I would normally use Tire Rack for Hawk pads. Expect a full review on the Hawk pads shortly. I need to get some miles on them and do some comparison with the stock pads before putting that together.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Here are the part numbers for the rear caliper repair and Hawk 5.0 pads. I noticed a number of websites have conflicting part numbers for the pads, so I want to get the right numbers posted.

Reman Caliper (red) Motorcraft BRCF274 C1BZ2553B
Bracket (red) Motorcraft BRBCR10 98AZ2B511A
Guide Pins Carlson H5084
Boots Carlson 16040
Hawk 5.0 front Hawk hb725b.650
Hawk 5.0 rear Hawk hb430b.547

The caliper bracket includes the guide pins and boots installed, but I ordered an extra set as a spare. They are cheap and since auto parts stores don't believe that a Fiesta exists with rear disc brakes, it is best to have a good selection of spares on the shelf. The caliper, bracket, and hardware all came from Rock Auto. They are one of the few places that actually has ST rear brake parts. Autozone, O'Reilly, Napa, and Advanced don't even show the parts for the ST rear brakes. Rock Auto had good prices and affordable expedited shipping. The pads came from Amazon. I had trouble finding a website with the correct part numbers. I would normally use Tire Rack for Hawk pads. Expect a full review on the Hawk pads shortly. I need to get some miles on them and do some comparison with the stock pads before putting that together.
Thank you. I find the rears pretty easy to source as they are on the other trims (titanium). What I found is the front pads and rotors state ST but are the base rotors that are smaller.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #24
I had no luck on the rears, beside Rock Auto and Carid. I called every auto parts place within a 20 mile radius and none believed the Fiesta had rear disc brakes. Nothing on record for the ST and only drum brakes available. It was fun listening to the people at the stores trying to explain why. That ranged from "the Fiesta is too new to need brake calipers", "Ford has a monopoly on replacement parts", "are you sure your car has disc brakes?", and my favorite "the Fiesta hasn't been out since the 1990's, so there just isn't enough parts available yet".

This might be the same issue I'm having with my car. Coming home from the shore last evening starting getting a horrible grinding noise coming from the passenger side rear wheel under braking and seems like the brake won't release. Been trying to schedule an appointment with Ford all day for warranty work and having all sorts of problems doing so. Only 28000 miles on the car and it is currently not drivable. Pretty big bummer. Guess I'm pulling the wheel and caliper myself later and taking a look. Thanks for the info guys!

CSM

1000 Post Club
It seems to me like Ford might have an issue on their hands with these brakes. No car with relatively low miles should have siezing components.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #27
While I find it unusual at this many miles, I am not totally surprised. I have worked on another ST with seized pins and my dad had a seized caliper on his Fusion around the same mileage. I blame myself for not putting the guide pins on the schedule when I get the car prepped for different seasons. I knew last spring when I worked on another ST that it was going to be an issue. I haven't had issues like this before on my previous cars and that is mostly because the brakes would come apart for inspection each spring or fall. The only exception was the SVT Focus, which I didn't own long enough to have issues. That car saw 2 winters before going into storage and then became a Florida car. All of my other cars would have the rotors and calipers removed each spring and fall. I used to track my ZX3 all the time, so the brakes were always coming apart for new pads, rotors, and fluid. On my 2011 Fiesta, I had SVT Focus front brakes for the summer and stock for the winter. Again, each season saw the brakes coming apart. Guide pins were greased and all parts inspected. The ST brakes are so good from the factory, I never needed to take them apart to make changes. I got busy with work and school and didn't take everything apart like I should have. This fall, all of the brake components are coming off for inspection and regrease. I will make this part of the fall/spring schedule along with bleeding every other spring.

It seems to me like Ford might have an issue on their hands with these brakes. No car with relatively low miles should have siezing components.
Agreed. Nothing should be failing on so many cars. Specifically ones with so few miles.

My passenger side rear - both pins were seized after this past winter (Maine). It was a fight to get them out. I ended up having best luck with a very long handle box end wrench on the hex flats of the pin. I threaded the caliper bolt back into the pin with a big washer, to keep the wrench from walking off, and went to town with twisting.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #30
My passenger side rear - both pins were seized after this past winter (Maine). It was a fight to get them out. I ended up having best luck with a very long handle box end wrench on the hex flats of the pin. I threaded the caliper bolt back into the pin with a big washer, to keep the wrench from walking off, and went to town with twisting.
my pin broke, so no using the hex to try and get it out. I drilled into the face of the bracket and then installed my punch and beat it with a large hammer. Soaked it in penetrating fluid and repeating beating. Eventually, I gave up and ordered a new bracket. With a new bracket and caliper, it took less than 10 minutes to install the rotor, bracket, pads, caliper, e-brake, and brake line. Everything went together very nicely.

I haven't exactly figured out how moisture gets into the pins. In all cases that I have seen, the boots are in good shape and there is no sign of damage. It is almost like the pins were never greased to start with. My passenger side looked brand new. Full of grease and not a hint of rust on the pins. Same with the fronts, all looked new. I wish I would have checked the pins last year when I could have got them out and checked the grease. The caliper stuck also has me stumped. The piston looked good without any signs of rust. I didn't fully remove it, but I pulled the boot and extended the piston. Looking at the rear pads, both driver side pads had the same thickness, and much thicker than the passenger side. The rotor, both sides, was full of pad marks along with rust. It had not been working for a long time. If the pins seized and the caliper was working, then the inner pad should have been more worn than the outer. That wasn't the case, they were equal. I could measure the pads, divide by the miles, and actually determine when the driver's side caliper assembly stopped working.

CSM

1000 Post Club
just as a means of re-capping, my 2014 ST with 30k miles did have greased slider pins, but also had:
- corroded bleeder screw that was plugged shut and couldn't bleed
- Front passenger piston was rusted so bad that the seal failed. Had to re-build caliper

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
my bleed screws up front were really tight. Knowing a few people had broke their bleed screws, I decided to soak the threads with penetrating fluid a few days before bleeding. They were still a struggle to get loose. I threw away my old pin and bracket, so I can't go back and do a deep dive into the parts to know if grease was there or not. I assume there was grease, but not sure. There wasn't any grease easily found on the rusted pin, it looked dry and rusty.

Seems most of you are from northern parts of the country that might get more snow/salt than others. Not saying that's an excuse for brakes seizing after 30,000 miles or whatever, but could be part of the issue. Might be good for others in snowier climates to check their brake pins, brackets, bleeders, etc. after every winter, maybe when switching back to the summer tires.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
Seems most of you are from northern parts of the country that might get more snow/salt than others. Not saying that's an excuse for brakes seizing after 30,000 miles or whatever, but could be part of the issue. Might be good for others in snowier climates to check their brake pins, brackets, bleeders, etc. after every winter, maybe when switching back to the summer tires.
yep, you are spot on correct. Those of us in the rust belt should just plan on a yearly check on the pins and hardware when either installing winter or summer tires. I will re-grease in the fall when the winter tires go on and grease again with inspection in the spring. Now that my wife is getting good at helping me bleed brakes, I will plan on doing that each spring. The other option would be to move away from the mountains of salt that is dropped on the roads. Up north they don't use salt and it is wonderful. The south doesn't know salt even goes on roads.

OP
B

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
I had no trouble finding the parts on Rock Auto, it was the local auto parts places that claimed the Fiesta doesn't have disc brakes in the back. I checked their websites, and indeed, there is nothing listed for rear disc on a Fiesta.

I didn't check with Tasca. I typically get all of my parts from them, but it was late on a Saturday when I ordered the bracket and late on Wednesday when I ordered the caliper. The expedited shipping costs were so reasonable, it wasn't worth looking anymore. I could get overnight shipping for $14.00. I spent more than that to send 2 Hot Wheels via UPS ground.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I had no trouble finding the parts on Rock Auto, it was the local auto parts places that claimed the Fiesta doesn't have disc brakes in the back. I checked their websites, and indeed, there is nothing listed for rear disc on a Fiesta.

I didn't check with Tasca. I typically get all of my parts from them, but it was late on a Saturday when I ordered the bracket and late on Wednesday when I ordered the caliper. The expedited shipping costs were so reasonable, it wasn't worth looking anymore. I could get overnight shipping for $14.00. I spent more than that to send 2 Hot Wheels via UPS ground.
Good to hear. I will be keeping an eye on mine. I filled the boot with silicon grease, this should prevent water ingress. But as with you brake clean up will be a fall and spring TO-DO.