Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Issues after installing MTC intercooler.

Hey guys, I'm having issues after installing my MTC intercooler. Here is some quick background for reference.

Mods:
Injen Intake, GFB DV+ BPV, Cobb AP with a Mountune Tune.

Once I got to installing the intercooler, I was under the car and saw this cable disconnected (I haven't had any issues prior to this):
http://imgur.com/5ykZGKJ

So I left it disconnected and then installed the intercooler. Buttoned everything up and then got these error codes:
http://imgur.com/iQlbdIP

I was trying to take the car for a drive and I noticed that the throttle wouldn't move if I revved the car once. Literally can set the gas pedal to the floor and it won't move.

2nd set of codes:
http://imgur.com/OzwgbaK

I asked a friend about that cable and he said it should be connected. Before I connected it I disconnected the negative battery cable and waited about a minute. Started better, but then started to die after like 30 seconds. So I went back under the car and connected that cable. Disconnected the battery again and waited another minute. Started the car again and then the same thing happened. Here are the codes that I currently have and a video of the stalling:

http://imgur.com/P1XKEyv

https://youtu.be/yrkhUWkGG7s

Does anyone have an idea of why this would be happening? I could check the intercooler piping to see if it's loose or something. But I'm almost certain that I had everything really nice and tight before I put everything back together.

Do you think I would need a re-tune with the intercooler now installed? Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
What did you take off of the car to install the intercooler?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's difficult to tell but that plug looks like the one that connects to the DV. I'd leave it plugged in. That second set of codes is related to that plug. Perhaps some dirt got into the connector? It begs the question tho of how you've been driving without issues in the first place??

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
W
Thread Starter #5
It's difficult to tell but that plug looks like the one that connects to the DV. I'd leave it plugged in. That second set of codes is related to that plug. Perhaps some dirt got into the connector? It begs the question tho of how you've been driving without issues in the first place??
Yeah, I thought that was weird. I noticed it when I was under the car. I don't know how long it was disconnected but I didn't seem to be having issues. Boost was fine and didn't have any codes prior to the install.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
It's almost impossible what ur suggesting but it would be difficult for you inadvertently unplug it while installing an IC so lets chalk it up to a ghost in the machine. lol

I would leave it plugged in going forward and using the AP, clear all codes and see how she does. Did you change the IC piping as well? Either way, double check ur connections.

And no, you should not need a custom tune. Since you have an AP, load Cobb's stage 2 OTS map AFTER clearing the codes. And just test carefully, u know. Don't bang off the rev limiter first drive around the block ;)

OP
W
Thread Starter #7
So clearing the codes didn't help. The car is still sluggish to start up and after a rev of the car it doesn't let me rev it up anymore. I installed the OEM intercooler and got the same codes. The P2111 and the P061B. I tried to install the Cobb OTS Stage 2 tune and still the same thing. One thing I'm noticing is the scent of gas way more than normal. I mean, I've never smelled gas before really before this install. I'm not really sure what's happening here. Any other suggestions?

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
These tiny cars don't leave much room to work in. It would seem you unplugged a sensor somewhere or dislodged a pipe or vacuum. You'll have to just triple check everything.

OP
W
Thread Starter #9
So after 4 days and tons of hours of trying to figure out what the issue was, and taking things apart here was the issue:

http://imgur.com/a/6mfGE

So there was a paper towel in the side of the intercooler that I didn't check. It got sucked up into the throttle body and while the whole thing wasn't causing the problem, a piece was sucked in enough to have the throttle body open and cause the problems. Getting out the main piece of the paper towel was easy, but getting that part that had the throttle body stuck open was the HARDEST thing I've ever tried to get out. My god. I tried everything to get it out. Tongs, my Dyson vacuum. Eventually my fingers were the best tool. I was literally finger banging the throttle body to get this piece out. Getting the pipes that connect to the throttle body wasn't the easiest to get off either, but once everything was put back together, the car started up perfectly fine and everything has been great ever since. But man, lesson learned. CHECK EVERYTHING!!!! Thanks for all the help you guys provided. It was much appreciated.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
Lmao never woulda guessed that one! Glad you worked it out.

So after 4 days and tons of hours of trying to figure out what the issue was, and taking things apart here was the issue:

http://imgur.com/a/6mfGE

So there was a paper towel in the side of the intercooler that I didn't check. It got sucked up into the throttle body and while the whole thing wasn't causing the problem, a piece was sucked in enough to have the throttle body open and cause the problems. Getting out the main piece of the paper towel was easy, but getting that part that had the throttle body stuck open was the HARDEST thing I've ever tried to get out. My god. I tried everything to get it out. Tongs, my Dyson vacuum. Eventually my fingers were the best tool. I was literally finger banging the throttle body to get this piece out. Getting the pipes that connect to the throttle body wasn't the easiest to get off either, but once everything was put back together, the car started up perfectly fine and everything has been great ever since. But man, lesson learned. CHECK EVERYTHING!!!! Thanks for all the help you guys provided. It was much appreciated.
thats sucks... well good you found it... i just saw this post this morning, and i was actually going to ask if you checked the flow in the IC before you installed it.. because you say sluggish witch is indicative of fuel or air. since you only changed air... i would have said check of debris in air lines. When i was in the navy we has some air line work in the ship year and some dummy left a rag in the pipe and when we when to retest.. we had low air flows and issues with a down stream air valve not cycling properly...