Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do wing risers effect aero

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
meant R5, which has been used on the TON R2. I don't think it adds too much rear if you look at the TON cars running the wing and nothing up front. I would guess the speeds are low enough that it produces a good deal of downforce without being too much for the front. On a road course car or one with more power on gravel, the amount of downforce would increase with the speed and then need some front aero to balance it. Getting into the R5/S2000 power would be enough to make the wing very effective.
I was actually asking about the actual multi-element (the one with the vertical 'stanchions' across it's width), 2016 WORKS, WRC car's rear wing, not the privateer, national/Euro rally championships, inverted two point mounted, wing which is put on the cars usually NOT serviced/maintained by M-Sport (and the only ones I've ever seen on the TON G5 cars).

One would think that this large works multi-element wing would add even more rear downforce yet than the wing you are referring to, and mandate some sort of front downforce device to counter it (like the air dam/splitter on the top class works cars have), even at 'rough' gravel rally speeds. [dunno]

Last edited:
Of course it will have SOME effect, but a completely negligible one. Because you're only changing the angle of the wing by a very small amount, the increase in drag and thus down force is really small. What you guys are thinking is that this very small down force is causing the front end to have a little bit less weight on it, but you're forgetting about the flexibility of the wing itself. Any down force on the wing is being opposed by the normal force caused by the flexibility of the plastic. So no.....don't worry about it.

I have a long 55 mile commute and my MPG before and after did not change with the risers. You are only putting the risers on the car to change the look. I do not think it dose anything positive or negative to the way the cars handles, drives, or consumes gas. Kind of like painting your hood black (I still do not know why folks do that to me it looks like your body work is 1/2 done).

Siestarider

I ran manometer tests from IC grille up the front, over hood and roof, and over spoiler. I was surprised to find the spoiler shows positive air pressure at 80 mph. I.e. downforce.

Short version, front face is positive pressure, hood negative, windshield positive, roof negative, spoiler positive. I doubt that is accidental, as pointed out earlier in this thread, Ford engineers have wind tunnel and lots of other analytical tools.

Manometers are cheap compared to the cost of mods that may hurt aero performance. Easy way to determine the answer to this thread's question. So if someone with wing risers will test, all can know.