Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Do wing risers effect aero

Based

I like the look of the wing riser. I think it gives the car some nice "definition" for lack of a better word. But does raising the wing just a tad like that effect the aero at all? Maybe taking some weight off the front tires at high speeds?

I feel the same way. I love the look but I'm concerned about the aero too. Be interested hear people's thoughts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

Who's renting the wind tunnel?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Basically what needs to be done. I would definitely want to see that done especially with all the splitters on the market and the other wing accessories.

Oh and also the diffusers.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Well I can state it does move the air differently. The air now moves down the glass keeping it clear. Where as before it would act as a vaccum and debris would remain (sand, road grim) not sure it it does anything for aero though

Bluedrank

I would assume that it does. But nobody that's out driving our vehicles has access to a wind tunnel, so stuff like wing risers and front lips are anyone's guess as to their good / bad effects.

XuperXero

Well I can state it does move the air differently. The air now moves down the glass keeping it clear. Where as before it would act as a vaccum and debris would remain (sand, road grim) not sure it it does anything for aero though
Really!?!? I'm sold.

AzNightmare

I doubt these vendors tested any of their products on wind tunnels. If there are any benefits, it's a fluke. I don't think any of them advertised them as aero improvement either which should say something.

Regardless, the affects are probably negligible unless you drive competitively. If the car is for street, go make it look pretty to your liking.

Zormecteon

In theory... (bench racing here) if the rear window is cleaner then the air is staying attached to the car more than before. The point of the rear wind is, like a Kamm Tail, to "fool" the air into thinking the car is longer--the classic teardrop--, ergo the wing risers are having a negative effect on the aero of the car. .. It was designed, after all, by those who DID have access to a wind tunnel. .. Oh, air attached to the rear window will also make the rear end lighter at speed, as that attached air represent LIFT. ..

but then again I don't have a wind tunnel either..

my 2¢

GAbOS

Rick and I had this very conversation once. With the gap from the car to the wing itself and the 2 holes in the wing itself, we came to the conclusion that you are actually hurting rear down force using risers. The best option would be more of a solid wing, like a ducktail and have as little gap from the wing to the roof as possible.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Rick and I had this very conversation once. With the gap from the car to the wing itself and the 2 holes in the wing itself, we came to the conclusion that you are actually hurting rear down force using risers. The best option would be more of a solid wing, like a ducktail and have as little gap from the wing to the roof as possible.
I plugged the holes. But I agree.

18119206_1173896006070338_5333092658854642403_n.jpg

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
In theory... (bench racing here) if the rear window is cleaner then the air is staying attached to the car more than before. The point of the rear wind is, like a Kamm Tail, to "fool" the air into thinking the car is longer--the classic teardrop--, ergo the wing risers are having a negative effect on the aero of the car. .. It was designed, after all, by those who DID have access to a wind tunnel. .. Oh, air attached to the rear window will also make the rear end lighter at speed, as that attached air represent LIFT. ..

but then again I don't have a wind tunnel either..

my 2¢
yes, this aligns exactly with what I was going to say. The fact the air is moving down the rear window indicates lift would be present and not downforce. I would say wing risers do nothing good. A better option is a Gurney flap like the M-Sport spoiler or the extension that Maxon (or somebody like that) makes that looks like the M-Sport spoiler. The best option for actual downforce is the M-Sport R2 rear wing instead of a spoiler.

I don't think the engineer's original intention was to create any downforce. The Fiesta ST's "wing" is technically not a wing at all but rather a spoiler. I read that a wing is used to create downforce while a spoiler is used to reduce the vehicle's coefficient of drag by reducing turbulent air behind the vehicle. Regardless I am inclined to believe that wing (spoiler) risers do indeed affect aerodynamics. I don't think the effects are noticeable to the driving experience, but I think it's plausible that the altered angle of the spoiler and the large gap left between the roof line and the spoiler increase the coefficient of drag.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
yes, this aligns exactly with what I was going to say. The fact the air is moving down the rear window indicates lift would be present and not downforce. I would say wing risers do nothing good. A better option is a Gurney flap like the M-Sport spoiler or the extension that Maxon (or somebody like that) makes that looks like the M-Sport spoiler. The best option for actual downforce is the M-Sport R2 rear wing instead of a spoiler.
What about the actual R5 rear wing (IF one could even get their hands on it!), or would that be too much rear downforce unless it was counter-balanced by a very deep, functional front air dam/splitter (and maybe even the vented R5 hood) like on the R5 cars? [dunno]

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
What about the actual R5 rear wing (IF one could even get their hands on it!), or would that be too much rear downforce unless it was counter-balanced by a very deep, functional front air dam/splitter (and maybe even the vented R5 hood) like on the R5 cars? [dunno]
meant R5, which has been used on the TON R2. I don't think it adds too much rear if you look at the TON cars running the wing and nothing up front. I would guess the speeds are low enough that it produces a good deal of downforce without being too much for the front. On a road course car or one with more power on gravel, the amount of downforce would increase with the speed and then need some front aero to balance it. Getting into the R5/S2000 power would be enough to make the wing very effective.

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I don't think the engineer's original intention was to create any downforce. The Fiesta ST's "wing" is technically not a wing at all but rather a spoiler. I read that a wing is used to create downforce while a spoiler is used to reduce the vehicle's coefficient of drag by reducing turbulent air behind the vehicle. Regardless I am inclined to believe that wing (spoiler) risers do indeed affect aerodynamics. I don't think the effects are noticeable to the driving experience, but I think it's plausible that the altered angle of the spoiler and the large gap left between the roof line and the spoiler increase the coefficient of drag.
Correct, the spoiler is only meant to spoil lift and not produce downforce. Since the spoiler was designed for the 2009 Fiesta with the 120hp 1.6L, I don't think there was any discussion about the spoiler actually being used to spoil lift. There wasn't enough power to push the car through the air fast enough to worry about rear end lift. The ST spoiler is cosmetic.