Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

How do manufacturers create lips

Based

I'm interested in creating my own front lip from scratch. Not just a flat piece sticking out from my bumper but a lip that molds to the shape of the bottom of the bumper like the several lip options our cars have currently.

I'm just wondering how those are made. Does anyone know? I know the triple r lip is made out of fiberglass but I'm racking my brain trying to think of ways to create a mold for the fiberglass.

I'm interested in creating my own front lip from scratch. Not just a flat piece sticking out from my bumper but a lip that molds to the shape of the bottom of the bumper like the several lip options our cars have currently.

I'm just wondering how those are made. Does anyone know? I know the triple r lip is made out of fiberglass but I'm racking my brain trying to think of ways to create a mold for the fiberglass.
I'm sure there are some videos on YouTube that could explain the process. Two ways I could see is model it in clay then overlay some fiberglass, remove, bondo and lots of sanding, then prime and paint. Or you could be a baller and 3D scan the front bumper then proceed to model the lip in a something like solid works, invert the design and have it CNCed out of foam coat with resin. Then again bondo and lots of sanding then prime/paint. I'm no expert, I'm sure someone more experienced could give you a much better anwer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #3
Yeah I have been watching videos of a guy doing exactly what you said. He made an entire bumper and diffuser from clay then layering fiberglass over it. Just wondering if that was a good way to go about it or if there was an easier way