Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Rear seat delete worth it?

AzNightmare

So how's the handling with all the weight in the rear removed? The wheels in the back don't feel all loose?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
So how's the handling with all the weight in the rear removed? The wheels in the back don't feel all loose?
For me at least, not as of right now with the factory suspension, and very sticky RS-RRs on the car.

I will try to take some weight off of the nose to counter-balance this though (light battery, carbon hood, etc.) BEFORE I do anything to stiffen up the rear suspension any more than stock. ;)

this is my worry, the owner here talks about how back in the day (he is 73) with dirt track he built the fastest chassis around and his trick was 50 50 weight, even though he had the heaviest car he said they won non stop and the driver said it was a very neutral feeling car.

It feels just fine with the weight out of the back. I also have lightweight wheels, washer reservoir deleted and some other things to reduce weight on the front end (besides the added CP-e FMIC weight).

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
It feels just fine with the weight out of the back. I also have lightweight wheels, washer reservoir deleted and some other things to reduce weight on the front end (besides the added CP-e FMIC weight).
I even removed the engine cover to save a few ounces. LOL

I figured it could not hurt to also help let the engine dissipate a little more heat in the summer season as well. ;)

Engine cover functions to keep water off the top of the motor electronics/etc I thought too a bit, perhaps not, not sure.

Got the TB Performance Booty Boot Camp installed. Not too terribly difficult, a bit tedious with the threaded rivets was all and positioning to not nip the shocks when drilling for them. The gray brace on the floorpan is the Pierce rear trunk brace. With the two installed, it definitely balanced out some of the understeer that the front Mountune lower brace added and firmed up the rear quite nicely with the seats out. Less weight, more stiff, win win for me. Car handles incredibly with all the braces now.

Rear Braces.jpg

I took my rear seats out over the summer. Noticeable improvement in acceleration and braking and the handling felt more rotation happy in a good way. Tire and wind noise was bad so I put them back in for the winter, didn't matter in the summer because I always drive with my windows down. Overall it wasn't a huge difference but it was worth it for a few months.

The carpeting I had put in to cover the bare metal made a huge difference in road noise and wind noise, but there definitely is more still. Carpet weighs about 6 lbs only, nothing nuts.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I left my delete out for the winter as well.

I will eventually double sided tape some sound studio-like acoustic 'egg crate' foam back there to cut the booming without adding any significant weight back into the car. [wink]

(Or a piece of .75" thick closed cell foam, like a yoga/exercise mat or such, if I cannot find the noise cancelling/absorbing foam anywhere for a decent price.)

Clint Beastwood

2000 Post Club
I left my delete out for the winter as well.

I will eventually double sided tape some sound studio-like acoustic 'egg crate' foam back there to cut the booming without adding any significant weight back into the car. [wink]

(Or a piece of .75" thick closed cell foam, like a yoga/exercise mat or such, if I cannot find the noise cancelling/absorbing foam anywhere for a decent price.)
If you go to Lowe’s they sell rolls of adhesive ducting insulation, it works almost as well as dynamat. Have used bunches to quiet server racks/rooms, cars, custom pc’s, etc.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-125-in-Foam-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/1081449

It absorbs vibration, adding it to lightweight parts makes them feel solid. I added it inside of door handles and the center armrest in one mod my cars just to try it and it makes the hollow plastic parts sound much more solid. Not sure, but maybe putting it around the spare tire would help? It is a total pain in the nards to remove.

neeqness

1000 Post Club
If you go to Lowe’s they sell rolls of adhesive ducting insulation, it works almost as well as dynamat. Have used bunches to quiet server racks/rooms, cars, custom pc’s, etc.

https://m.lowes.com/pd/Frost-King-0-125-in-Foam-Plumbing-Pipe-Wrap-Insulation/1081449

It absorbs vibration, adding it to lightweight parts makes them feel solid. I added it inside of door handles and the center armrest in one mod my cars just to try it and it makes the hollow plastic parts sound much more solid. Not sure, but maybe putting it around the spare tire would help? It is a total pain in the nards to remove.
Is it relatively light?

Sent from my LG-H918 using Tapatalk

straf

weight savings is nice but extra space is great. I can now easily put my fat bike in the car with my pack back. This pleases me more than the weight savings.
Note: when removing rear seats, the flat seat must be removed first. There are two black slide release clips under each side of seat that can be accessed by sliding one's hand under seat to release the clip. Once the bench is removed, the t55 bolts are easily found for removal. Note: black plastic plug clips attaching the seat bracket to the plastic door trim also need to be removed- One on each side. If having trouble I can take a few snaps.