Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Serpantine belt removal

I have to replace my A/C compressor this week and I need to take off the belt. There's not much room on the left side of the engine and I'm wondering if there are any tricks to getting it off. Can I adjust the alternator or do I have to get access to the tensioner?

According to the service manual I have access to, there should be a belt tensioner (highlighted in yellow) that you need to rotate counter clockwise. This will relieve the tension on the belt and allow you to remove it more easily. Tensioner.PNG

Didn't read your post very well apparently to see that you knew the tensioner was there... Per Ford's service manuals you do need to access the tensioner. It makes a statement about using a 4mm drill bit to rotate the tenseioner.

koozy

3000 Post Club
that image above is not for an ST. The oil filter isn't even in the right location for an ST, that's where the turbo would be on an ST in relation to the drive belt.

This is what you want.
1.png
2.png
3.png
4.png

Last edited:
that image above is not for an ST. The oil filter isn't even in the right location for an ST, that's where the turbo would be on an ST in relation to the drive belt.

This is what you want.
View attachment 14603
View attachment 14604
View attachment 14605
View attachment 14606
Where did you get yours from? I pulled my image from Ford's dealer technician site that I have access to and used my VIN to pull up the manual. Wonder why mine would be wrong...

GOT IT. Didn't realize the manual was NOT specific to my VIN but instead covers all '14 fiestas. Grabbed the first thing that it showed me without realizing it was for the 1.0L. Now that I'm looking at the correct engine, you definitely have the right pics. Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
Hey so you don't have to do ALL that work... just take the headlight out, you can use a 17mm wrench to pull the tensioner to release and there is plenty of room to do the belt from there... 2 bolts and 1 plastic clip is all you need to do to remove the headlight, literally could change a belt in 5-10 minutes on these cars.

I own a shop here in Glendale AZ if you want to come by I'll show you how to do it, or I can replace the whole a/c compressor for you if you don't want to. call me 602 993 4000 ask for Jesse (I'm the owner)

OP
F
Thread Starter #10
Thanks guys, but I decided to install the compressor today and it was a bitch. I probably lost half my PAG oil while trying to get the low and high side lines back on. Is there a way to drain the PAG oil with the compressor installed and add it through the charge lines?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Thanks guys, but I decided to install the compressor today and it was a bitch. I probably lost half my PAG oil while trying to get the low and high side lines back on. Is there a way to drain the PAG oil with the compressor installed and add it through the charge lines?
looking at the service manual it's about ~22 pages on the draining/refilling. It's all done with the compressor off of the car. So based on doing it 'right' I'd say no.