Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Tires good for straight line and road course?

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #21
Yep. I have a 6-point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
After some more reading I think I'm gonna go with the 6 point aswell. That and the rear torsion bar. Then maybe I will get the front strut bar thing and then the rear trunk bar thing. When I had my miata I never had the chance to experience chassis bracing before it was totaled and I've always been interested in it lol.

Hopefully the braces help at least a little with wheel hop and traction although I don't really think they will make my car into a dig monster. But really I'm more interested now in how sharp the handling becomes!

But yeah we can get back to tires now hahah.

This might belong in a different section, but I figured since this is where people talk about tracking their car I would ask it here. What tires would be good to run as a daily tire but also for the drag strip and road course?
That's asking alot.
You have many choices... if it was me, right now TR has 225 16 Hankook RS3's for under $100. Good grip and they can last an entire summer of beatings.
If they made a tire that did everything you want, it would be the only tire that sells.

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #23
That's asking alot.
You have many choices... if it was me, right now TR has 225 16 Hankook RS3's for under $100. Good grip and they can last an entire summer of beatings.
If they made a tire that did everything you want, it would be the only tire that sells.
Yeah you're right. I guess I just wanted to ask the question and then have people give me good tires for each thing and then find a compromise or something lol.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
You could get a nice set comparable to the ones your car came with, and then pick up a pair of slicks. Rotate depending on your mood. Best of both worlds.

Yeah I was going to say Hankook RS3s also. Tire rack accidentally sent me two sets of them but then I ended up keeping the second set because I liked them so much. It's street legal but performs really well on track and honestly seems to be wearing way better than stock. I'll be installing my X47 this weekend so I'll let you know how that goes. (I also have the 2 point brace btw)

Hijinx

3000 Post Club
U.S. Air Force Veteran
Yeah I was going to say Hankook RS3s also. Tire rack accidentally sent me two sets of them but then I ended up keeping the second set because I liked them so much. It's street legal but performs really well on track and honestly seems to be wearing way better than stock. I'll be installing my X47 this weekend so I'll let you know how that goes. (I also have the 2 point brace btw)
My BFG Rival-S's wear better than the stock tires. They really are terrible.

I would do the Bridgestone RE71Rs in a 205/50-16. Wear well for a soft compound tire, good steering response, dont get too greasy when hot, and a good tire in the wet ( not standing water) when full tread.

I found the RS3 liked heat, and the RS3 V2 did not. Not heard how the RS4s do with heat

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
That's asking a lot.

+1

I don't know IF it's any different in the FWD world, but for RWD, stiff/short side wall construction KILLED your 60'/launch, and mushy, 'wrinkle wall' slicks would be uncontrollable on a road course (and even drag radials, although not as bad, are still way less than ideal).

ANY compromises in either direction are JUST that for the other use. [wink]

RE71R's is my choice too. They wear fast but they feel good, grip amazing (200TW my ass), and have generally good driving dynamics.
You could always run low air pressures for those straight line launches at the drag strip, then pump them up for the curvy ride home....

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #33
Maybe I will just get the re71r for road course and slicks for track

Yeah but even so the extremely stiff sidewalls on the RE71R's aren't the best for straight line stuff
Yup. And the RE71 R is not the best for road racing stuff...

But IMHO, it would be a good compromise tire with tire pressure adjustments.

So, get a fresh set of Hoosier road race compounds each time you go road racing. And a fresh set of drag slicks each time you go drag racing. That will be the best for each use ( but may get a little pricy) [unbelieveable]

And don't forget the 2 sets of ultra light wheels to max out the 2 sets of tires performance....[like]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Yup. And the RE71 R is not the best for road racing stuff...

But IMHO, it would be a good compromise tire with tire pressure adjustments.

So, get a fresh set of Hoosier road race compounds each time you go road racing. And a fresh set of drag slicks each time you go drag racing. That will be the best for each use ( but may get a little pricey) [unbelieveable]

And don't forget the 2 sets of ultra light wheels to max out the 2 sets of tires performance....[like]
...and the on-board hydraulic air jack system to make all of those changes easier/quicker! [histerical]

...and the on-board hydraulic air jack system to make all of those changes easier/quicker! [histerical]
Yeah. Probably better just to compromise with a great autocross tire ( to use for road racing) and lower pressure for straight line acceleration. Wait, wasn't that already suggested? [wink]

After all, using a Fiesta ST vs a higher HP, higher traction, better handling car is a compromise in itself. But it is a great compromise for the money and smile factor[thumb]

OP
B

Based

Thread Starter #37
I guess the douchebag brigade is here

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club

I don't think that ANY of the above razzing was directed at YOU specifically, just in general as to just how much ridiculous amounts of coin can be dropped into these cars if one had NO constraints (money, time, multi-use/utility/daily driver needs, etc.), at least MY comment was NOT meant to be a 'diss'. ;)

You asked the question about what tires (I would assume single set) would do everything well. The answer is no tire will. I offered a suggestion of a good all around compromise tire that would be the closest in each category IMHO(with changing air pressure). Then the conversation moved to the best tire period, which would be a different model for each mentioned situation. So you have answers from one set of all around tires to best per category.

That is what asking questions on forums will usually get you- a variety of answers. If you get offended by the answers (or people having fun with your questions), maybe you should find a safe spot to hide. I enjoy the banter here, and take it all in stride without making it personal. Maybe you can just take the information provided and make your own choices. There has been some good info provided (as well as some funny info). Choose wisely- life is way too short[like]