Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Wilwood black brake fluid

jeffreylyon

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I just ordered WW H pads and their high temp fluid. Next track day I will measure temps with that setup, report how brakes feel and what if any discoloration there is.

Forums like this enable critical experience/analysis sharing among folks using similar gear. I end up on other forums frequently when researching (rennsport forum says Porshe Cup cars run Endless RF650 fluid $40/pint). If the WW fluid boils, next experiment would be that fluid.

Still a lot less than thermolock pistons at $550 a set. I approached WW about a group buy, then retracted, I have to be sure there is no other way to handle the heat before going to that expense.
What are your thoughts about giving the titanium insulating shims a try?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I am sure that the Endless fluid is great, but, the RT700 does have a slightly higher tested wet boiling point (by 15*F), and a significantly higher tested dry boiling point (by ~ 70*F), for a little bit less coin.

(Unless you've heard bad things about it, or know something from experience with it, or just do not trust it for whatever reasons. [dunno])

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #23
I discussed the shim idea with WW tech, they think its not enough. Plus their pads for Dynapro 6 piston calipers are already thinner (0.49") than most, that is the only complaint I could find in other forums, the pads do not last as long because they start out thin.

As far as other fluids, I can dismiss the dry boiling point because I live in a hot humid climate. Seems Motul fluids have a rep for being more hygroscopic than others, although I found no data to prove this. Seems most of the Motul users bleed after every track day, while some other fluids allow longer use before becoming "fully wet".

I just ordered WW H pads and their high temp fluid. Next track day I will measure temps with that setup, report how brakes feel and what if any discoloration there is.

Forums like this enable critical experience/analysis sharing among folks using similar gear. I end up on other forums frequently when researching (rennsport forum says Porshe Cup cars run Endless RF650 fluid $40/pint). If the WW fluid boils, next experiment would be that fluid.

Still a lot less than thermolock pistons at $550 a set. I approached WW about a group buy, then retracted, I have to be sure there is no other way to handle the heat before going to that expense.
I bled the brakes with ATE fluid a couple days before the track day and using the Wilwood Polymatrix B pads again, went and did a track day last Sunday. The track is one that is not a hard on brakes type of track but still happy to report no real issues...brakes held up for all four sessions.

OP
S

Siestarider

Thread Starter #25
I bled the brakes with ATE fluid a couple days before the track day and using the Wilwood Polymatrix B pads again, went and did a track day last Sunday. The track is one that is not a hard on brakes type of track but still happy to report no real issues...brakes held up for all four sessions.
In some respects my reporting (and Pete's) is not fair to equipment. I know from his threads he brakes at the threshold. After one lap, so do I. Every visit to any track is an opportunity to get better. Lap time is the measure. Brakes are the easiest part of the car to abuse as they are cheap relative to the rest and its harder to pick up more time with acceleration than with braking. Its one or the other at all times, counting lateral accel g's of course.

One of the reasons I am going to dial back rubber next year, driving well is not about how good tires are. And less grip means less brake W&T. So my next tires on all rims will be real street tires. But I turned the Motul black on BFG SC-2's more than once. So brakes have to come up to scratch regardless.