Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Second turbo swap, lots of white smoke.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Was there something wrong with your stock turbo that you upgraded to c39? It better have been broke after that comment ;-) ;-) ;-) LOL
it had this weird issue of not holding boost up top! Def broken lol

OP
A
Thread Starter #22
White smoke can mean Coolant/Water or Fuel (stuck open injector can can do that too)

If its got a slightly blueish tint it could be a turbo oil seal or valve stem seal. If the turbo oil return line is slightly blocked it can cause the turbo to smoke too as the oil pressure can't get out of the turbo faster than its coming in and then can go past the turbo shaft ring seal.

you could try a different tune (just let it idle) and see if the smoke stops, you could try to remove the oil drain tube to make sure there is no blockages.

Hard to tell by the picture, though to me if I had to guess I'd say water/fuel. When you turned your car on how long did it take for it to smoke, 5 seconds, 30 seconds, 10 minutes? Oil typically doesn't get hot enough to burn and start smoking until the turbo gets pretty hot, can take 15 minutes of idling. water and fuel can smoke pretty instantly, also the picture looks more like either water or fuel based on on bright the "white" smoke is.
It started smoking instantly after turning the car on. I didn't drive it anywhere. Just pushed it back out of the maintenance bay and let it idle. It quickly started filling up the parking lot. I'll try loading up the old tune and just letting it idle to see if that changes anything. I don't see how it would if it's burning coolant though.
[MENTION=1058]re-rx7[/MENTION] I'm only making 247/260 on my c39 with 93 oct. Quite a bit lower than I expected and wanted.

You will feel much better to find out that my c39 on e30 is only at those VERY SAME NUMBERS.

It started smoking instantly after turning the car on. I didn't drive it anywhere. Just pushed it back out of the maintenance bay and let it idle. It quickly started filling up the parking lot. I'll try loading up the old tune and just letting it idle to see if that changes anything. I don't see how it would if it's burning coolant though.

[MENTION=1058]re-rx7[/MENTION] I'm only making 247/260 on my c39 with 93 oct. Quite a bit lower than I expected and wanted.

Did you swap the stock coolant pieces from the stock turbo(or your c39)? Many people in the x47 thread say the included pieces from PS suck and you need to switch to stockers

re-rx7

1000 Post Club

You will feel much better to find out that my c39 on e30 is only at those VERY SAME NUMBERS.
Whos tuning yalls cars? I have my vdyno somewhere. Made 260 ish on 93.

OP
A
Thread Starter #26
Mine was tuned by Oz tuning for the C39. I do have a catted downpipe and I had the 2016 Injen CAI which was really just an open filter that made more noise. I switched to the CP-E while doing this latest turbo swap. Tomorrow I'll begin going back to the C39. Hopefully I can just send this X47 back and be done with it. I'm tired of spending all this money. I'll just have to be happy with the C39 until I get back to the US in 2020.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Mine was tuned by Oz tuning for the C39. I do have a catted downpipe and I had the 2016 Injen CAI which was really just an open filter that made more noise. I switched to the CP-E while doing this latest turbo swap. Tomorrow I'll begin going back to the C39. Hopefully I can just send this X47 back and be done with it. I'm tired of spending all this money. I'll just have to be happy with the C39 until I get back to the US in 2020.
May I suggest Ryan at Pd tuning? Ive sent him multiple people and all have been astounded at the results. He is tuning Raamaudio Fist. Read his review/build thread.

Im tuned by ryan . Under recommendation from bryan himself after seeing your results as well. I just got the c39 back from inspection from the man who built them for bryan, i have a good seal and everything checks out. They cleaned it, put it back together and rebalanced everything . I will be taking out my fmic and doing a quick flush though as im sure the first turbo just slung oil everywhere in my piping , and it could very well be my reason for power loss.

May I suggest Ryan at Pd tuning? Ive sent him multiple people and all have been astounded at the results. He is tuning Raamaudio Fist. Read his review/build thread.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Im tuned by ryan . Under recommendation from bryan himself after seeing your results as well. I just got the c39 back from inspection from the man who built them for bryan, i have a good seal and everything checks out. They cleaned it, put it back together and rebalanced everything . I will be taking out my fmic and doing a quick flush though as im sure the first turbo just slung oil everywhere in my piping , and it could very well be my reason for power loss.
I recommended Brian to him as well Lol. Def a great tuner. Glad you found the source! ;)

Hes a very good tuner. I just drove around with the freshly cleaned turbo and intercooler, there was quite an amount of junk in the intercooler and piping. I advise everyone to flush these things like once a year lol. Temps around 87 though so bo cold temps for me :(

I recommended Brian to him as well Lol. Def a great tuner. Glad you found the source! ;)

Did you swap the stock coolant pieces from the stock turbo(or your c39)? Many people in the x47 thread say the included pieces from PS suck and you need to switch to stockers
Did you do this, before you send it back?