Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Door open light and chime, but all doors closed

So a few weeks ago I'd get the door open light and chime while driving. It only flashed for a second or two and not very often. Now yesterday my alarm went off randomly a few times while I was at work. On my drive home the door open light came on and stayed on for a few minutes.

I had the latch recall done last year. All the doors seem to latch just fine. Any idea on how to troubleshoot this?

I have a feeling it's the driver door. Few days ago I went to get something from the car...pulled the drive door handle a few times and the alarm went off. Then I realized I didn't have the keys in my pocket lol.

OP
L
Thread Starter #3
So the chime only goes when the driver door is open. Since I hear the chime when it happens I'm guessing that means I need to replace the driver door latch. From what I can find the door open/closed sensor is part of the latch.

No more bumper to bumper warranty....wonder how much of a pain this is to replace....

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
That sucks that your warranty is up. It'd be cool if you could just switch the door latch with another wrecked/totaled FiST somewhere.

DEss

So the chime only goes when the driver door is open. Since I hear the chime when it happens I'm guessing that means I need to replace the driver door latch. From what I can find the door open/closed sensor is part of the latch.

No more bumper to bumper warranty....wonder how much of a pain this is to replace....
Make sure to try the hatch. Mine sometimes doesn't latch unless I use a good amount of force.

DEss

OP
L
Thread Starter #6
Seems to be getting worse....guess I'll give Ford a call tomorrow and get it looked at.

Maybe since they replaced the latches before they will still be covered

OP
L
Thread Starter #9
Dropped it off for Ford to figure out. Door open light was staying on all the time now.

OP
L
Thread Starter #11
Got it back. No light at the moment! About to take a few hour road trip. Let's hope it's fixed.

Andy16st

Hi there I've seen this before .being a ford tech. You most likely have a bad door ajar switch witch is made into the door latch .the alarm goes off because the computers sees that a door has been opened while the car is locked because of a bad ajar switch .the hard part is finding out witch door is causing the problem .at the dealership we can connect a computer and see witch door is reading ajar or witch door is setting the alarm .replacing the door latch is a little complex . You have to remove window from window regulator and rear potion of regulator also the exterior door handle

Mine has done this randomly 2 or 3 times now in the 6 months Iā€™ve owned it. Did it yesterday, I *think* itā€™s to do with the back hatch, in my case anyways. But I never opened the hatch in the last week or so, so no idea what would cause it to think itā€™s open.

I had a mysterious door chime once, turns out i must've previously rushed out of the car and accidentally tripped the hood latch.

EDIT: derp, checked previous page, looks i need to join the club

sonyiac

Just picked up my 2014 ST from the stealership and paid $215 to have the hood latch replaced due to door ajar light constantly on. Part number is 16700. Probably wouldn't be too hard to do it yourself and save the money. Also they kept the car overnight because the part is not kept in stock. Car alarm kept going off and waking the neighbors. I left the key in it for a couple of days to alleviate that problem because it won't lock with the key still inside. https://parts.ford.com/shop/en/us/latch-assy-hood-6458023-1

I took some 30 gauge solid copper wire (from a CAT5 cable) and formed a jumper, and stuck it in the plug Plugged it back in. Looks stock, and the latch can be replaced if desired later on down the road.

IMG_20190818_121357.jpg

Jabbit

2000 Post Club
I took some 30 gauge solid copper wire (from a CAT5 cable) and formed a jumper, and stuck it in the plug Plugged it back in. Looks stock, and the latch can be replaced if desired later on down the road.

View attachment 22842
Bumping an old thread - is that the hood latch sensor? Jumping it like that made the dash light go out?