Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Used vs New FIST

Ive been looking to possibly buy another FIST (traded in my 2014 which I regret), to replace my old 2002 Subi. There is a used 2014 Molten Orange w/ Recaros and Sunroof (exactly like my old one) with 45,300 miles for $11,999 or a new 2016 Magnetic Grey with Recaros and base wheels for $18,990. Which do you all think is the better deal? The new one seems like a steal.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
When it comes to buying a sports car- normally I say buy new, because of possible wear and tear, but that used one seems priced well. Something else to consider on the used car: the head may need, or will need replaced at some point if it hasn't already. There's a recall on all of the 14s, and about half of the 15s if I'm not mistaken. The new (2016) FiST has a redesigned head.

The 2016 seems priced well too, but you might be able to talk them down another $500, or so for being old.

DEss

Ive been looking to possibly buy another FIST (traded in my 2014 which I regret), to replace my old 2002 Subi. There is a used 2014 Molten Orange w/ Recaros and Sunroof (exactly like my old one) with 45,300 miles for $11,999 or a new 2016 Magnetic Grey with Recaros and base wheels for $18,990. Which do you all think is the better deal? The new one seems like a steal.
That's like a 60% premium for new. I think most people who are shopping for $12k used cars can't afford $19k new cars. When I was shopping late last year, the ask for models like the used one you described was ~$14 to $15k. Had I known then that I'd be able to get a loaded 14 with under 50k miles for ~$12k, I'd have waited and went used. Of course, I would've missed out on the awesome STOA, but that's neither here nor there.

I vote used.

I picked up a sweet '15 with 9000 miles for 15k. Couldn't argue with the price!

OP
Guaji
Thread Starter #7
I need to go check out the used one to see the condition...the big unknown is how it was treated by the previous owners....I think it had like 3 or 4 owners! It was bought at an auction in February. I think this place has had it for several months....maybe make a low offer....like $10K

I wouldn't shy away from a single owner used fist. But with the financing available you might be able to get a sick deal on a new one. That would be best

OP
Guaji
Thread Starter #9
I wouldn't shy away from a single owner used fist. But with the financing available you might be able to get a sick deal on a new one. That would be best
Yes. A car that has had 4 owners in 3 years is a little concerning. 0% financing is great....had that for my 2014 FIST.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
The used one is priced very well for the mileage, but after reading the used car has had 4 owners, I change my stance. I'd go with the new one instead.

I just got 4k back of msrp and 0% for 72 financing on a new 16. The deal was so good I traded in my 15 st with 43k miles on it.

J2FoRS

Id never buy a new one again. The depreciation is so bad on these cars (at least in Canada) that mine is worth thousands less than I even owe on it. Since you guys are American and have the almighty USD, you should shop in Canada and buy one. I cant even sell my car privately for 12k CAD ($8800-$9000 USD) and its a loaded 14 MO with racaros and 60k in mint shape. Dealer shows even less for trade in.

If I was an American, id do all my shopping in Canada, not just for cars. Just make sure you fill up the tank on your side of the border before coming over.
[targetpractice]

OP
Guaji
Thread Starter #13
Id never buy a new one again. The depreciation is so bad on these cars (at least in Canada) that mine is worth thousands less than I even owe on it. Since you guys are American and have the almighty USD, you should shop in Canada and buy one. I cant even sell my car privately for 12k CAD ($8800-$9000 USD) and its a loaded 14 MO with racaros and 60k in mint shape. Dealer shows even less for trade in.

If I was an American, id do all my shopping in Canada, not just for cars. Just make sure you fill up the tank on your side of the border before coming over.
[targetpractice]
I agree about the depreciation....but when a car has an MSRP of $25,430 and its sales price is $18,990 .....I think the depreciation is kinda priced into it.....no????

JDG

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I agree about the depreciation....but when a car has an MSRP of $25,430 and its sales price is $18,990 .....I think the depreciation is kinda priced into it.....no????
No way. Previous owner of mine got a sweet deal - $19K NEW with a similar MSRP. I bought the car from him with 1,000 miles on the odometer for another 15% off. I would say 75% of the time it is better to buy a vehicle used if you do your due diligence and are willing to wait for the right car.

Of course, as always, YMMV and this has been my experience in the Mid-Atlantic area when shopping for vehicles.

Last edited:
OP
Guaji
Thread Starter #16
So, I went to the dealer....and of course the $18,990 price is with all eligible discounts which for many I didn't qualify.....so after awhile the final OTD price "only for today" was $23,579.....so I think my best bet is to be patient and try to find a good used one under $15,000

Attachments

Sorry i am unable to see any attached image, not sure why, im using mobile. But i have been looking at that car for 3 months now. It has been sitting on dealer's lot for a while.