Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Whoosh Motorsports wing risers INSTALLED with pics

Trader history for 92FOX (0)

I recently arranged with ron@whoosh to test and evaluate his new wing riser kit. I received it yesterday (Saturday) and installed it in the afternoon. To start, packaging was very good. Even though it was something that would not be damaged if it rattled around in the box, Ron took care and packed the USPS small flat rate box with packing paper (not this annoying peanuts) to ensure it would shift in transit. I also love the fact that it was shipped in a USPS small flat rate box. USPS has taken the most care of all my packages over UPS and FedEx, and the small box was not only cheaper on shipping on his end but fits in my mailbox securely. The actual risers came in a zip lock bag with all the hardware, no instructions were included. I personally did not see a problem with this, as there are many videos and instructions online and on the forums here, so why reinvent the wheel? What really matters to me is quality, and these risers are billet aluminum and feel very solid in the hand. The finish was even all the way around, and there were no sharp edges or burrs on the risers to speak of. Included in the kit is the six risers (three different sizes for the different locations), two 5mm hex bolts, four 4mm hex bolts with washers, two short screws, two long screws, and six pieces of vinyl tape to cover the holes for the clips (that get removed from the spoiler) that hold it in position when the risers are not installed.

1 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

2 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

3 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

First, gather all the tools you need:
1/4" drive ratchet
5.5mm socket
8mm socket
T20 torx bit or driver
4mm allen wrench
5mm allen wrench
Phillips screwdriver
Some type of pad to lay the spoiler on

4 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

Steps for installation:
1. Remove the antenna.
2. Remove the third brake light with the T20, then disconnect the wiring harness and washer fluid hose.
3. Open the hatch. Using the 5.5mm socket, remove the four (two on left and two on right) outer bolts for the spoiler.
4. Remove the black trim plugs from the center of the hatch. Using the 8mm socket, unscrew the last two bolts holding the spoiler on.
Be careful not to drop the bolts inside the hatch, it's a pain in the butt to retrieve them if you do. Ask me how I know.
5. Close the hatch. Grab the spoiler and pull it towards the rear of the car, removing the spoiler from the car.
6. Place the spoiler on a soft surface (I used a furniture pad). You will notice six white locating clips, these need to be removed.
7. Using the black vinyl tape, cover the holes in the car where the locator clips inserted. It's also a good idea at this time to clean the hatch under where the spoiler was, since this will be visible from now on.
8. Now we start attaching the risers to the spoiler. Attach the center risers with the 5mm allen head bolts. Attach the outer risers with the screws. Do not over tighten, as you are screwing into plastic.
Note that there are short and long screws. The shorter screws are used on the inboard two risers and the longer screws go on the two risers that are furthest to the edge of the spoiler.
9. Open the hatch and begin to attach the spoiler back to the car.
This is easier with a helper, but doable alone.
10. Start with the middle two riser, attaching them the the bolts that held the spoiler to the car (8mm socket). Again, be careful not to drop them into the hatch. Do not tighten all the way at this point, just enough to hold the spoiler on.
11. Now attach the wing to the car, starting on one side and working your way towards the other. Use the remaining 4mm hex head bolts and washers. Again, do not tighten down all the way at this point.
12. Once all bolts are started and the spoiler is loosely attached to the car, you can tighten the risers to the car. Start with the center two risers, then work your way towards the ends. These can all be tightened down fairly good since they are threading into metal.
13. Replace your third brake light and reattach the washer hose and wiring harness.
14. The antenna...there are several options here, depending on your style.
a) cut about 2" from the stock antenna
b) replace the stock antenna with a shorty (mine is on the way from Whoosh)
c) leave the antenna off of the car
d) install a shark fin antenna​

Pics installed...car is filthy because it's been raining daily here for a week. New brake pads coming this week to cut down on the brake dust, and a nice cleaning this week. New pics posted later on.
7 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

8 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

9 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

10 by Nik Sweger, on Flickr

Overall, the installation was straightforward and not too involved. The most difficult part was getting the risers positioned correctly, just take your time and watch the various videos on YouTube and you will be good to go. I think the riser give the car a nice aggressive look, without being too much. Once mounted and tightened down, the spoiler still feels solid and has a great look to it.

From what I've read on the forums, and will be tested in the days to come, the risers help keep the rear of the car cleaner by allowing airflow down the back of the car.

For the price point Whoosh Motorsports is offering these at, I think they are a home run. They are billet aluminum and are solid. There are a few more companies who offer these, and some knock offs on eBay that others have gotten where the hardware has rusted. A lot of people complain about the tape to cover the holes not he hatch, but I do not see this as an issue. A simple solution to a simple problem, why overthink it?

OP
92FOX
Thread Starter #2
One caveat I didn't mention...do not use power tools. Hand tools on everything unless ripping threads out of your spoiler is your thing.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
OP
92FOX
Thread Starter #4
There was some questions and confusion about what risers go where and with which hardware. Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion:

The pieces all laid out...pay attention to the colors they are circled in.

Here is a zoomed out picture of where they all go, the colors are matched to the previous picture above:

Here is a closer shot of the driver's side of the spoiler with the risers attached in their final, correct position. The other side will mirror this.

The risers circled in green are attached to the SPOILER with the 5mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit and to the CAR with the original 8mm hex-head bolts from the car.

The risers circled in blue are attached to the SPOILER with the longer of the screws provided in the kit and to the CAR with the 4mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit.

The risers circled in red are attached to the SPOILER with the shorter of the screws provided in the kit and to the CAR with the 4mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
There was some questions and confusion about what risers go where and with which hardware. Hopefully this clears up some of the confusion:

The pieces all laid out...pay attention to the colors they are circled in.

Here is a zoomed out picture of where they all go, the colors are matched to the previous picture above:

Here is a closer shot of the driver's side of the spoiler with the risers attached in their final, correct position. The other side will mirror this.

The risers circled in green are attached to the SPOILER with the 5mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit and to the CAR with the original 8mm hex-head bolts from the car.

The risers circled in blue are attached to the SPOILER with the longer of the screws provided in the kit and to the CAR with the 4mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit.

The risers circled in red are attached to the SPOILER with the shorter of the screws provided in the kit and to the CAR with the 4mm allen-head bolts provided in the kit.
great how-to

thanks!!!

have tons of these in-stock

FREE decals with every order

what did you do with the antenna ? did it have to get cut down? ok i see where you said leave off.

i was think about maybe finding some heat shrink or whatever

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
what did you do with the antenna ? did it have to get cut down? ok i see where you said leave off.

i was think about maybe finding some heat shrink or whatever
Most guys go with a short antenna.
We have custom options from Craven Speed and standard options from Perrin on the site.

Bluedrank

Do these actually help with the lift in the rear of the vehicle, or are they mostly cosmetic?
Nobody really knows for sure since none of us own or have access to a wind tunnel to test. It could do something, but it's only theory. Buy them if you like the way it looks.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Do these actually help with the lift in the rear of the vehicle, or are they mostly cosmetic?
Nobody really knows for sure since none of us own or have access to a wind tunnel to test. It could do something, but it's only theory. Buy them if you like the way it looks.
I have to agree - this was most likely intended for appearance, not aerodynamic function although that would be sweet if there is actual benefit there

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
Why the need to cut or replace the antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It's a precaution since the wing sits higher and may make contact with the long OEM antenna (when the hatch is in the "UP" position)

stuntdoogie

2000 Post Club
Is it possible to swap the small and medium sized blocks to give more of an angle and less gap to the top of the spoiler?

Sent from my SM-G935P using Tapatalk

Spork1569

what exactly are the point of these? I see these all the time.
People like the more aggressive look, and it apparently helps keep your windshield cleaner as the water can run down the windshield instead of around the spoiler.

My car had some installed when I bought it but I found they caused the joints in the wing to crack due to the opening and closing of the hatch causing vibration and it being transferred through the risers. I ended up returning it to stock as I also want too big a fan of the look nor the broken spoiler.

Spork1569

I daily my FiST >120miles a day. Does the riser lower MPG/Economy?
Also I didn't really notice a difference in fuel economy with the risers on or off, I think the difference in the aero is negligible and more for cosmetics if anything and a little bit of extra downforce.

Hello I just received and installed the wing risers last night. Just wanna say y'all did a great job with the quality in the parts. My question is the holes for the third brake light and washer piping is quiet large. Are there any says to plug up those holes so I don't get too much water or dirt in there. I do alot of highway miles and don't wanna have to worry about it getting full of road dirt or water when I wash my car. Thanks.