Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Need help - Mountune MR230 map loaded, car cranks over but won't fire

Hi everyone,

Firstly I'm new to this forum, so it's worth an introduction. I have a 2015 Fiesta ST in Australia and have recently loaded all of the MR230 running gear onto the car.

As the title of this thread implies, I'm having trouble getting the car to fire after installing the MR230 map. The history of the car is as follows:

• From stock, the MP215 kit was installed (incl. airbox), along with the appropriate tune (did this myself with the supplied mTune kit supplied by Mountune UK). Everything had been running fine after doing this upgrade.
  • The MR230 intercooler, intake piping, intercooler piping, downpipe and cat back exhaust were all fitted. The MP215 map remained on the car and everything continued to run fine. There was one last mechanical change to perform
  • the cam timing adjustment and the MR230 tune load, after upgrading the mTune handset with the new maps for the MR230 kit.

It was this final step that everything started to go pear shaped. As instructed by Mountune the timing adjustment was made, and then followed up with the MR230 tune being loaded onto the car. Care was taken to load the correct map onto the car, as the MR230 kit also includes an anti-theft option which is just a map that causes the car to crank over but not fire. This map is known as IMMO, and if loaded it will result in exactly the same symptoms described.

So now after checking the MR230 map is being selected and loaded onto the car, all the car will do is crank over but not fire.

This is particularly challenging as I live in Australia and Mountune seem to indicate they're out of ideas and are suggesting the ECU or some other hardware on the car is causing the issue. I'm suspecting it's not ECU related as surely this would prevent the car from cranking over. All other hardware has been checked over to ensure connections are in place and that there is no failures. Interestingly, the mTune handset is also not showing any ECU error codes.

This has me completely stumped and now I have a car that is a complete brick with no one able to assist.

Please help!!!

OP
D
Thread Starter #2
I'll also add that all of the timing adjustments have been performed by a local Ford dealership and absolutely done to spec, and not by me. The followed the factory procedure, excepting the step as described by Mountune which adjusts the exhaust cam timing.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Did you make sure everything was plugged back into where it was before the install?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
D
Thread Starter #4
Did you make sure everything was plugged back into where it was before the install?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk
Absolutely. Except that not much actually gets unplugged, tbh.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
Did you check to see if the coilpacks are actually firing? I have a spark plug tester I used over the years and it has helped also have the fuel system checked. I know this may not be free but did the Dealership revert back to factory(or ask mountune to get back to MP215) and did it work? One thing they asked when I was looking into the MR230 to get all the components right is that Mountune recommends the spark gap of 0.025 on the stock plugs. LAstly disconnect the battery for a while just in case the system is confused. then reconnect it.

Now the NA cars for the MR230 is just a map. NO cam adjustment at all.

OP
D
Thread Starter #6
Hi CanadianGuy,
We haven't yet checked this out (plugs) but are looking to revert back to factory ECU settings as an option. However, Mountune seems to indicate this isn't possible as I need the standard->MR230 load and this will cost ... Mountune are indicating that somehow the crank pulley hasn't been aligned properly, but that's going to mean I'll pay for the work twice.
I also note that here in Australia we get the Euro spec cars, so the timing change is still required. In any case I'm hoping this will be sorted next week when the mechanics are open again.
Jason

Breto

I also have the MP215 installed. Map and Air Box. Difference is pretty lame but looking at the Graph now its no wonder. Didn't do my research properly. Was considering the MP230 but have doubts about this Timing Tool and adjustment. What was the outcome in your case?

OP
D
Thread Starter #9
Hi Breto,

Apologies as I should've updated everyone on the outcome. It turned out the PCU needed a reset, so all we had to do was remove the battery terminals, leave the car overnight, reconnect the battery, and life was back in the car.
To talk about the difference, I've also created a review video, and in it I refer to the trouble we had, but also how we resolved the problem.

[video]https://youtu.be/GrdSq2QNgls[/video]

Breto

Mountune MR230

Ok glad you solved your problem.[:o] Can you perhaps post the Instructions on the Cam Timing Adjustment?. Apparently the MR230 Map can be loaded without making this adjustment but not sure what you can believe, and if so what effect this will have on the Performance.

OP
D
Thread Starter #11
Breto, you'll only need to perform the cam timing change if you have a European spec Fiesta. The US spec cars don't require this change as they don't run the same Bosch ECU and hydraulics.

If you have the car that I do, then the maps *must* be loaded at the same time as the timing adjustment is made. Failure to perform the mechanical changes to cam timing is likely to render the car unusable. As I understand, the new maps adjust for the shift to the cam timing on the exhaust side, which is advanced by one tooth.

The procedure can be simplified by explanation that it is the same procedure as a timing belt change, except that the OEM cam locking tool is removed after the old belt comes off, the Mountune cam locking tool is put in its place, then the new belt put on. However, the procedure of changing the timing belts on the Fiesta is anything but simple. The crank pulley has no keyway, so an additional crank locking tool is used, as is an accessory pulley locking tool that sits in place of the crank angle sensor, with the latter sensor put back on once the crank pulley bolt is tightened. It's a cluster of a job, and if anything of that isn't well understood then the only option is to take it to someone with the experience necessary.

Breto

Thanks you have been a great help. Not something that I will be doing or for that matter let be done. I was on-line ordering the MP230 in field Map last week and only when I queried the Shipping charge did I then find out that a Mechanical Timing Adjustment is required. Havent been impressed with Mountunes Backup and last thing I want is to be sitting in South Africa up the creek without a paddle. Just a question what happens if you take your vehicle in for a Service and the Agent decides to flash your ECU back to standard with the Mountune Mechanical Timing change having been done?

OP
D
Thread Starter #13
Thanks you have been a great help. Not something that I will be doing or for that matter let be done. I was on-line ordering the MP230 in field Map last week and only when I queried the Shipping charge did I then find out that a Mechanical Timing Adjustment is required. Havent been impressed with Mountunes Backup and last thing I want is to be sitting in South Africa up the creek without a paddle. Just a question what happens if you take your vehicle in for a Service and the Agent decides to flash your ECU back to standard with the Mountune Mechanical Timing change having been done?
Breto, if your only concern is that you won't have local support, don't be too worried. I took mine to a reputable Ford approved service mechanic, aligned to a local dealership and they had it sorted over 2 days. There is little that can go wrong with the procedure when someone knows what they are doing. Also, the MR230 system is very different and much more refined compared to other tunes. I drove a Peron system and while the system has similar power, the delivery in the Mountune is much more progressive even in the way that the turbo spools up.

If an agent flashes your car back to standard (not sure why they would) then you'll need to have your mTune around to re-flash the MR230 map back on.