Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Newest Updates To Audio

Oh man....I've been looking into DSPs and all that jazz the past few weeks. How do you like the JL stuff? I've never used a DSP before, but I'm definitely interested. Where did you get a full range signal?

OP
C
Thread Starter #3
I have been using JL Audio for a few years and have faith in the quality of their equipment. They make high end equipment with the highest quality of components. They are not a cheap solution, but what they say they will do is what they will do. I have been able to undo the bad aspects of the installed system and make it profoundly better. The TUN software is very powerful. You have to bring all of the current signals into the FiX-86, speaker outputs from the source unit, and then bring those back to a known flat state. After you are at that state, you can now tune with the TwK-88 towards your installed equipment. You must upgrade your speakers and you must add amplification to realize the real difference in sound. Sony did a decent job of this with the equipment they installed, however this will not pass for most people who want higher fidelity sound. If this is the direction others would like to go, I would be glad to help. Just be prepared to pay handsomely for this type of system.

OP
C
Thread Starter #5
Very nicely executed!
I'm still trying to tune the system and it is getting better each day I mess with it. Not sure there is much more I can do around the factory tweeter location. I am considering going all coaxial and removing the tweeters in the factory location. Thinking about building small enclosures to house 3 1/2" coaxials and place those in the dash area.

What are your thoughts antarctica24?

OP
C
Thread Starter #6
Please see attached screenshots of my program settings from JL Audio TuN Software. I created 4 presets which can be toggled for varying output levels of source music. I only increased Output in the Tune menu. I have played with the software quite a bit in the Basic portion of the program and find it has made a huge difference in overall sound quality. You will also notice that I did not change the sound stage based on speaker positioning. I tried making changes to this with the Advanced portion of the program under my initial setup, saved in other files, but did not notice much sound quality difference. I believe this to be based on the physical size of the car and the way I installed my tweeters, tilted forward slightly towards the direction of the windshield. If there are questions please do not hesitate to ask. Also, if there are others who have went this route and want a copy of my program, just let me know and I will email it to you...

Attachments

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Everything but the speaker, probably could've been mounted underside. Speaker could be protected with a metal grill, allowing you use of your trunk space.

OP
C
Thread Starter #8
Everything but the speaker, probably could've been mounted underside. Speaker could be protected with a metal grill, allowing you use of your trunk space.
Everything is installed under the hard cover, where the spare tire would be housed. It pretty much is a stealth install.

Back in my IASCA judging days they used to call it the "Bowling ball" test. Basically, if you had equipment installed in your trunk and you drove around with a bowling ball rolling around in there would anything get damaged. Seems like you would pass the test, with the cover on, of course.

OP
C
Thread Starter #10
Back in my IASCA judging days they used to call it the "Bowling ball" test. Basically, if you had equipment installed in your trunk and you drove around with a bowling ball rolling around in there would anything get damaged. Seems like you would pass the test, with the cover on, of course.
Never heard of that, but it sounds cool.

OP
C
Thread Starter #11
Just wanted to give everyone a heads up on recent changes I have made. I have now downgraded to just 3 presets / programs, removing the phone dedicated program. The phone echo possibility that JL warns about does not seem to be an issue in my system or tune. The 3 presets have more separation in DB level for the Level Trim Output.

Also, of note and the main reason for this message is the "Turn On" setting. I have now changed this from Signal (signal sensing) to DC Offset. I was finding that at low volume levels(less than setting 5 on volume) the system would shut off. Since the change I have not had issues.

Most new amps and signal processors, including LOC's, can use multiple "Turn On" signals. This is the signal that turns the unit on and off.

1. Remote Turn on - +12 volts supplied by the head unit as an output to the component to be turned on or off (this is typically the preferred method)
2. Signal or Signal Sensing - typically a full range signal that is coming from the head unit in the form of the speaker wires (typically higher than 250 mvolts)
3. DC Offset - signal that is coming from the head unit in the form of the speaker wires (typically a low dc signal in the 10-250mvolts range)