Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

I think my axle seal has failed, pics inside

I think my seals went out. Lots of grease under the car. I get a consistent whine in fourth and fifth gear. Here's some pics. All the white/yellow stuff is grease, looks to be coming directly from the axle. I'm big turbo, I how my dealer doesn't gimme crap, the car has 22k miles and is under warranty.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #3
So not under warranty? How does that happen? Would it explain the whine?

koozy

3000 Post Club
check your passenger side motor mount right next to the washer reservoir. see if all bolts are present and not broken, especially the center one.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #5
check your passenger side motor mount right next to the washer reservoir. see if all bolts are present and not broken, especially the center one.
Ok I will, but can I ask what you are getting at?

koozy

3000 Post Club
often times when the motor mount goes the CV boot goes with it. it could just be the CV boot, but several users have broken mounts that ended up taking out their driveshaft too.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'm at 18k. I have the same exact problem. Passenger side as well. Not looking forward to hunting down a competent dealer that won't give me shit for my mods. I'm doing my brakes tomorrow so I'll have a look at my mount as well.

I'm getting a vibration and a lil chatter on take off, no whine. But my grease fling isn't anywhere near as bad as yours yet.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #8
I'm at 18k. I have the same exact problem. Passenger side as well. Not looking forward to hunting down a competent dealer that won't give me shit for my mods. I'm doing my brakes tomorrow so I'll have a look at my mount as well.

I'm getting a vibration and a lil chatter on take off, no whine. But my grease fling isn't anywhere near as bad as yours yet.

OK lmk what you see when you do the work. Yea, it is a lot of grease I am worried about it and not driving it until I can take it to the dealer to see what they say. I will try to get it to a lift at least tomorrow to see if it is the mount or the boot or both.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
My mount looked pristine.

I still drive mine tho. Until it starts clicking and binding I don't think their should really be an issue.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #10
Looks like I am going to drive it until it gets fucked up more!

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
Why would you wait for more damage and maybe a towing bill before fixing it? With serious mods it probably will not be covered under your warranty but I have seen dealers fix many modded Mustangs. Even if you have to pay for it changing a torn boot will be much cheaper than the damage when it fails.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Assuming the joint is otherwise intact, I can't see big turbo being responsible for boot failure unless it forced some (possibly small) piece of the joint to fracture and fly off, puncturing that boot. In this case I can understand why they would say that warranty is contingent upon disassembly and inspection of the joint though, it's possible that the boot may have been inadvertently punctured in the course of performing the work on the car; in which case no warranty on that part and labor to replace it regardless. Now if they refuse to warranty your Sync system because you installed BT, then that's another matter.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I agree...they should take care of it. But if the boot is damaged they will not cover it, but the longer you wait the bigger the bill to either Ford or the owner and the harder to get it covered.

OP
mercdank
Thread Starter #15
So I was able to get the axle replaced under warranty but I awful have a whiny fourth and fifth gear. They denied me on any further work on the transmission because of my mods. Going to take it to a third party transmission shop to see what they say.

So I was able to get the axle replaced under warranty but I awful have a whiny fourth and fifth gear. They denied me on any further work on the transmission because of my mods. Going to take it to a third party transmission shop to see what they say.
Wow, I would be pissed if a SIMPLE axle swap resulted in my car coming back making bad noises. Search those symptoms. Sounds a little bit like some bearing issues some have had in their transmissions. I'm not saying it is or trying to scare you. The 4th/5th whine was the symptom reported by the transplant transmission cars.

Anyways, I just don't know I would accept the car back that way. Did they test drive the car and just assume the obviously problematic noise was normal? I hate dealerships!!!

Dealership: " Here's your car back, we umm... fixed it and don't bring it back. We wont warranty it anymore (mumbles, now that we effed it up)."
Me: "No."

Probably time to call Ford and switch dealerships.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
May check and replace the trans fluid. [MENTION=5747]robbie_d[/MENTION], have you seen failures reported from the noise, specific to Fiesta ST or other vehicles with the same transmission? If so, what specifically failed and what were the consequences?

May check and replace the trans fluid. [MENTION=5747]robbie_d[/MENTION], have you seen failures reported from the noise, specific to Fiesta ST or other vehicles with the same transmission? If so, what specifically failed and what were the consequences?
Search for my transmission thread

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk