Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

CO2 intercooler sprayer

Anyone ever use or have any experience with this kit?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0039Z5YFY/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_mF8ozb5PZNV9Vy

I am full bolt on with an x47 and a MAP intercooler. Ever since I installed my mishimoto oil cooler and radiator I'm noticing my intake temps have risen 8-10 degrees where they were before (15-20 over). I think my radiator and oil cooler are dissipating more heat above and near the intercooler and it is getting heat soaked. I'm looking for something to cool down my intercooler and bring my charge temps back down on race days. On a side note I went 13.9 @ 104 tonight at the track here in Vegas, track prep was shit and wheel spun thru 2nd.

Last edited:

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
I remember those being very popular on turbo drag cars a number of years ago. I have always thought a simple solution would be to use the washer reservoir or a separate tank with a pump, a mixture of water/alcohol, and an atomizer sprayer at the intercooler would be an effective way to lower intercooler temps at a much lower price. When I autocross my ST with the stock intercooler, I bring along a water spray bottle kept in a cooler of ice. Before and after each run, I mist the intercooler. It kept the temps within a safe range for the 4 runs. For longer distance or for cases in which you are not stopping all the time, getting out and spraying the intercooler manually doesn't make sense. That is why a small tank of water/alcohol mix (the most effective for heat transfer) with a pump that could be activated from the cockpit would be simple and probably work good.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I always wondered if those CO2 sprayers could ever cause a 'thermal shock' type of crack/fracture in an intercooler if sprayed when it just had a hard run, and was super-heated, being how crazy COLD the CO2 is when it is released from the nozzle. [dunno]

I always wondered if those CO2 sprayers could ever cause a 'thermal shock' type of crack/fracture in an intercooler if sprayed when it just had a hard run, and was super-heated, being how crazy COLD the CO2 is when it is released from the nozzle. [dunno]
This is why intercoolers are made out of aluminum instead of Stainless steel, I could see steel cracking because of the drastic temperature change, but aluminum transfers heat or lack thereof a lot better. Water/alcohol injection or water sprayers are a lot cheaper to maintain though. Plus it would mean that you don't have a tank of compressed gas in your car with the safety implications that come along with that.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
This is why intercoolers are made out of aluminum instead of Stainless steel, I could see steel cracking because of the drastic temperature change, but aluminum transfers heat or lack thereof a lot better. Water/alcohol injection or water sprayers are a lot cheaper to maintain though. Plus it would mean that you don't have a tank of compressed gas in your car with the safety implications that come along with that.
ABSOLUTELY!

The water/alcohol does not hit the surface @ -30*F (or whatever temp the CO2 is when it hits, I can't find the info about the exact temp) either.

And yes, one does not have to look for a place to refill the water/alky reservoir, and there are less legality problems (in areas which still have visual inspections, and NOx systems/any compressed gasses are VERBOTEN in street legal use). ;)

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
something else to think about, with the rapid temp change and fairly drastic change, I would expect condensation to form on the inside of the intercooler. That would mean water is getting sucked into the engine.

My brother and I had come up with an idea for a radiator/intercooler sprayer back in the 1990's when reading about BTCC cars using water cooled brakes. They had an atomized sprayer nozzle in the brake cooling tubes and used a pump and reservoir. When the brake pedal was pushed, the pump would run and cool the air going to the brakes. It was really simple.

A simple stupid idea would be to empty the washer reservoir and mix in a water/alcohol mix, remove the washer hose and install a new hose to run to the intercooler, add an atomizer nozzle aimed at the intercooler, and use the factory washer switch on the stalk to trigger it to spray. When charge temps go up, give it a spray.

Looks pretty awesome- seems like that kit in particular could make some significant gains. It has an intake chiller before the intercooler, a fuel line chiller, an intercooler sprayer and an intake chiller after the intercooler. It only has 2 reviews but I'm curious to find out more.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
A simple stupid idea would be to empty the washer reservoir and mix in a water/alcohol mix, remove the washer hose and install a new hose to run to the intercooler, add an atomizer nozzle aimed at the intercooler, and use the factory washer switch on the stalk to trigger it to spray. When charge temps go up, give it a spray.
^^^This would be a perfectly simple/inexpensive solution, if one can live without a windshield washer. ;)

BRGT350

1000 Post Club
^^^This would be a perfectly simple/inexpensive solution, if one can live without a windshield washer. ;)
I only use mine in the winter. I used to drain the on in my ZX3 since it would splash out and get on the engine ground. No reason to use the washer in the summer.

OP
AntTrain
Thread Starter #10
I'm still debating which way I'm going to go. Since I don't daily the car I guess utilizing the reservoir would be a good idea.

OP
AntTrain
Thread Starter #11
Still wondering of anyone had tried this yet or am I gonna be the guinea pig?

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
I really like the idea/function of this, but I will not deal with the constant bottle filling required, just like I won't deal with spray, or water/meth filling needs.

haste

1000 Post Club
I am curious myself.

I imagine a test wouldn't take too much work. I wonder how much two washer fluid nozzles and some extra rubber line would cost. A few zip ties to hold everything together and bam, simple test.

I may give this a go in the next few weeks. It has been in the 90s here everyday since summer started and it would be a great time to test a system like this.

re-rx7

1000 Post Club
Buy some factory washer nozzles, mount in lower grill, run line, done

I had this exact setup on my boosted 3rd gen eclipse. It definitely did not help me with IAT. I had an IAT sensor after the intercooler and when I sprayed the CO2 I never really noticed a significant drop in temps. Maybe I wasn't spraying long enough, but the instructions state not to spray continuously or the solenoid will seize. I will say my inner ricer loved the mod because it was a cool "show off" mod and fun to spray at car shows.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The old STI's Circa 2004 and Evo's had a IC sprayer. +
Precisely why I decided to read this post. It was claimed that it actually worked. How well, etc. I don't know. I would assume that CO2 blown out would just whisk away all over being a gas. Directed spray? Not so much.