Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta ST Radiator Upgrade

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
You'd need to contact them probably.
But seeing as it retains all stock shrouds. I'd say it's more forgiving in space than the Mishi product.
^^^I am HOPING that this is the case! ;)

(This is the first I've heard about the Mishi being a problem with the cp-e IC though,)

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
^^^I am HOPING that this is the case! ;)

(This is the first I've heard about the Mishi being a problem with the cp-e IC though,)
no issue with the cp-e intercooler
just a slight clearance issue with the cp-e intercooler pipe (cold-side)

someone please correct me if I'm mistaken

There's definitely a lack of info on this radiator vs Mishimoto's one that has every single detail on their website including size and weight. Since mountune is reusing the stock fan shroud, wouldn't that make it LESS effective than Mishimoto's since that one has an open shroud that lets air pass throughout the whole core and not just collect hot stagnant air like the stock one does? The only benefit of mountune's would be the daily driving reliability of accounting for traffic and slow speeds with the stock shroud. Of course, I don't have enough info to substantiate what I'm guessing here.

Yeah, I was about to say this same thing. I almost purchased it from Whoosh like four times now...I'm just dreading doing the labor.
labor isn't that bad. their video helped a lot. I did dhm's ic+crashbar when I swapped the mishi in.

Only thing that'll be tricky to do is swapping the oil filter out on future oil changes. The difference in width makes one hell of a tight spot to pull the filter. Unscrewing it no issues, it's wiggling it out between the radiator/oil lines etc...I may put a worm gear hose clamp on one of the oil lines to swap on and off, if I run into difficulties.

There's definitely a lack of info on this radiator vs Mishimoto's one that has every single detail on their website including size and weight. Since mountune is reusing the stock fan shroud, wouldn't that make it LESS effective than Mishimoto's since that one has an open shroud that lets air pass throughout the whole core and not just collect hot stagnant air like the stock one does? The only benefit of mountune's would be the daily driving reliability of accounting for traffic and slow speeds with the stock shroud. Of course, I don't have enough info to substantiate what I'm guessing here.
That's all marketing there bud. I fell for it once. Went through 3 Mishimoto radiators before I called it quits. Remember they replace for free and I was so turned off I just went and bought a CSF (who makes Mountunes) and haven't had a problem since. Mind you this isn't on a FiST but still. ANd I would rather have a sealed shroud keeping the heat in the radiator rather than flooding the engine bay.

Also, I will keep the stock fan every chance I get. Aftermarket ones don't have the worlds best longevity. Ever.

These are just my findings.

You still use the stock fan just not the stock fan shroud.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's still the stock fan, just Mishimoto own shroud you relocate it to.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #29
You still use the stock fan just not the stock fan shroud.

You're talking Mishi right. Mountune keeps all stock shroud and fan

Yes sorry about that. I was responding to DRocks comment. I'm running the mishi right now. The damn bleeder screw leaks constantly. Just got a new one sent from mishi but have yet to install it. I would have bought the mountune one had it been out at the time.

ron@whoosh

3000 Post Club
Vendor
Premium Account
2 aftermarket options now = good
both use the OEM fan
Mishimoto uses the OEM fan, Mishimoto aftermarket aluminum fan SHROUD
Mountune retains the full OEM fan & shroud

To be honest I just went off of what is listed on the whoosh site which says the Mishi radiator is "Compatible with most intercooler and intercooler piping kits (excludes cp-e)". The way I read that made me jump into thinking the issue is between the cpe brand specific intercooler and Mishi radiator, and not their piping kit and said radiator, for whatever reason. So unless someone can can come in and dispel this information I would assume that cpe's delta core does work with the Mishi rad and if that what you are planning on running, make sure you select your cold side piping judiciously...

Anyway Mountune says they cannot confirm fitment with parts that are outside of their own or oem replacement brand. But since they said it's designed to drop in place and retain the factory shrouds I'm willing to go out on a whim and bet it will work for most people.

One thing to note is mountune is not offering any warranty on this radiator once it's installed on the vehicle. They are however backing their product up against manufacturer defects, so if you do get this radiator, make sure you inspect it thoroughly before putting on your car. These units are pressure tested as part of Mountune's quality control plan prior to shipment, but such as life is unexpected things do happen, and you never know if yours will end up with a piece of rag towel stuffed up inside of it. [histerical]

Last edited:
Only thing that'll be tricky to do is swapping the oil filter out on future oil changes. The difference in width makes one hell of a tight spot to pull the filter. Unscrewing it no issues, it's wiggling it out between the radiator/oil lines etc...I may put a worm gear hose clamp on one of the oil lines to swap on and off, if I run into difficulties.
On a scale of 1-5 how feasible would you say it would be to run the mishi radiator with an oversize oil filter (such as the Napa gold filter)?

On a scale of 1-5 how feasible would you say it would be to run the mishi radiator with an oversize oil filter (such as the Napa gold filter)?
Isn't that filter a lot bigger? I'd guess 0 for swapping it and maybe a 2 for fitment. I would only use the OE filter to be honest. Tight fit. Problem I see is removing it after it spins off. Plinko anyone? [rofl]

I'll see if I can get a close-up photo for reference before I leave for Brainerd, MN - Proving Grounds tomorrow or at some point this weekend.

Curious if others have a similar experience with OE oil cooler with the Mishi radiator [dunno]

I've run the Mishimoto radiator for over a year and put at least 20,000 miles on it in the Texas heat without any issues. The temperature stays between 185-190, no matter if I'm in stop-and-go traffic and 100+ degrees outside, or if I'm cruising down the highway at 70mph. The only time it'll hit 200 is if I'm pushing it really hard. It says it's 3 row, but I'm unsure if that's the same as Mountune's triple pass. Some people have had issues with their bleeder valves, and I'll agree they don't look sturdy, so I replaced mine with a simple stainless bolt. The Mishi's saving grace is that it adds almost a full gallon of coolant to the system, almost doubling the coolant capacity. I'm interested to see how much coolant Mountune's adds, or if the triple pass feature does more with less, making for a thinner radiator. The Mishi is thick as all hell, and putting a 4 port fuel injection system on (whenever they release one) is gonna be......interesting. I can still use the longer Motorcrafl FL-400s filter with it, and it still utilizes the stock fan, but a different shroud. Ron at Whoosh has the Mishi for the cheapest I've seen. I'm glad Mountune has finally come out with another option, so we're no longer limited to one choice.

koozy

3000 Post Club
For those experiencing leaky bleeder valves with their mishimoto radiator the problem some have discovered is they put teflon tape on the threads and some of it may have found it's way into the bleeder valve and not allowing the valve to seat properly. Simply remove the teflon tape from the bleeder and that may solve the leak.

haste

1000 Post Club
It looks like the Mishi radiator is not compatible with the CP-e inter cooler... Does anyone know if Mountune does something to address this issue?
I have this exact combination installed without any issues. I am using stock charge pipes.

3 row is not necessarily triple pass. If the mishi is 3 row, single pass, then the mountune one should cool significantly better, even if it takes up less space.

Manufacturer defect should still include post install. You can't find a bad crimp or solder until it's been heat cycled. Pressure test or not.

I like that mountune is stepping up to produce offerings to compete with the 3rd parties.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Correct me if I'm wrong, but assuming all things being equal, and both of these radiators being highly efficient and capable of keeping it at sub 200 degrees no matter what, it really wouldn't matter which one you slapped in as the stock thermostat is going to keep you at a minimum of like 185 regardless of how much heat they shed. An aftermarket thermostat changes things, but barring that, it's pretty much just buyer preference, isn't it?

More or less, but more efficient cooling means less heat soak. You actually want your water temp at 200*ish. Engines run better hotter. Ideally your cooling system will let you get up to 190-200* and hold no matter what. You're right. Outside of heat soak, your thermostat is what determines water temp in the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk