Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta ST Radiator Upgrade

Isn't that filter a lot bigger? I'd guess 0 for swapping it and maybe a 2 for fitment. I would only use the OE filter to be honest. Tight fit. Problem I see is removing it after it spins off. Plinko anyone? [rofl]

I'll see if I can get a close-up photo for reference before I leave for Brainerd, MN - Proving Grounds tomorrow or at some point this weekend.

Curious if others have a similar experience with OE oil cooler with the Mishi radiator [dunno]
Haha yeah it's easily twice the size of the stock oil filter. I just got one in the mail and remember my first impression being that it looked like it was meant to go on a super duty. I'll go ahead and attempt install as soon as the pennzoil ultra 10w-30 i want to try this summer arrives. (From what I understand a little bit of brute force and hose clap adjustment will be required to get the napa gold in place on a stock rad / oil cooler setup.)

And I agree it would be interesting to find out if a radiator upgrade would limit the size of the oil filter you can run even further.

haste

1000 Post Club
I'm running the Motorcraft FL-400s filter with the Mishi radiator and OEM oil cooler. It's tight but clearance is plenty. It takes a little more work to get it in and out but it's not too bad.

More or less, but more efficient cooling means less heat soak. You actually want your water temp at 200*ish. Engines run better hotter. Ideally your cooling system will let you get up to 190-200* and hold no matter what. You're right. Outside of heat soak, your thermostat is what determines water temp in the engine.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
The thermostat opens when your car reaches the optimum temperature. It is closed before that to help your car warm up faster by not circulating the coolant through the radiator.

Once you are at optimum temperature and your thermostat is open there is nothing other than the radiator to keep it from getting much hotter when you are pushing the car on a track for example. This is where a better radiator comes into play. It's more efficient cooling and larger capacity can keep your temps from going too high like they would with the stock radiator. The thermostat won't help keep peak temps down at all. It only controls when the coolant is allowed to circulate.

I'm a licensed tech. I'm aware of how a cooling system works. And yes, your thermostat will close while driving if your engine loses too much heat.

The thermostat opens when your car reaches the optimum temperature. It is closed before that to help your car warm up faster by not circulating the coolant through the radiator.

Once you are at optimum temperature and your thermostat is open there is nothing other than the radiator to keep it from getting much hotter when you are pushing the car on a track for example. This is where a better radiator comes into play. It's more efficient cooling and larger capacity can keep your temps from going too high like they would with the stock radiator. The thermostat won't help keep peak temps down at all. It only controls when the coolant is allowed to circulate.
You're very right, but that isn't what we were talking about. I said that if both radiators were equally capable of keeping peak temps at sub 200*, then it's buyers choice as to which one to purchase because the thermostat will only let radiator cool the coolant so much and then it'll close again. Pete was agreeing with me. The question really comes down to which one can control the peak temps better. FWIW, my Mishi keeps me between 185*-195* irregardless of the traffic conditions or the heat outside, and during extremely hard pushes, it'll hit 200*, but not really any higher. I'm excited to see if the Mountune can do the same.

If you're just daily driving it there's zero reason to even consider a radiator you will never overheat it unless you push it on a racetrack. As far as we know Mishimoto and Mountune have made two completely different radiators and we won't know which is better until someone posts up some track temp data for Mountune's.

I have never heard of someone overheating with the Mishimoto radiator installed which is why it surprises me that people were waiting for a better alternative in Mountune instead of just buying Mishimoto's that's proven to work.

If you're just daily driving it there's zero reason to even consider a radiator you will never overheat it unless you push it on a racetrack. As far as we know Mishimoto and Mountune have made two completely different radiators and we won't know which is better until someone posts up some track temp data for Mountune's.

I have never heard of someone overheating with the Mishimoto radiator installed which is why it surprises me that people were waiting for a better alternative in Mountune instead of just buying Mishimoto's that's proven to work.
My stock radiator would constantly ping the warning chimes at me in stop and go or low speed traffic. I had had enough of riding with the heater on to keep my car from overheating, so I bought the Mishi radiator. Zero problems with heat since. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone once said that if you have a thick aftermarket bar and plate intercooler it blocks too much airflow to the radiator. The stock radiator is a joke, as hot weather and mild mods are just too much for it to handle.

People in Texas and California would probably disagree with you. And the mishi piece isn't completely plug and play, nor is their track record for reliability all that stirling. 10 years ago they were a budget option on par with eBay parts. Mountune is sourcing big players for production of their parts, that means something to some people too. I've never heard of "Vargas turbos", Garrett has been around a very long time.

People in Texas and California would probably disagree with you. And the mishi piece isn't completely plug and play, nor is their track record for reliability all that stirling. 10 years ago they were a budget option on par with eBay parts. Mountune is sourcing big players for production of their parts, that means something to some people too. I've never heard of "Vargas turbos", Garrett has been around a very long time.

Arizonan chiming in... yeah I needed the radiator bad. I have heard horror stories about the mishimoto radiator for our car some people had to send it back several times. I had no choice. The heat was too much for our stock radiator. I'm glad I made the choice! The company that mountune teamed up with knows cooling I have much confidence that it will do the job :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

[MENTION=5744]thePete[/MENTION] Here in Puerto Rico it's at least 90F all day and at best drops to 75F at night. Now in the summer it's close to 100F sometimes. Stock radiator works just fine for daily driving.

And [MENTION=5355]STAZ15[/MENTION] if your car overheated in traffic then it is probably part of the 2013-2014 build date FiSTs that got recalled for having faulty radiators with leaking coolant.

Personally I had never heard of CSF and a quick google search showed mixed reviews about them which is why I'm concerned if the Mountune unit will actually deliver.

And Mountune isn't infallible, their FMIC is found on the O'Neill Rally School car and is definitely proven to work but just BARELY. People that bought them reported +40F charge air temps from just a 3rd gear pull where most other FMIC don't get over +15F. Of course there's the whole tube-fin vs bar-plate debate but that's another story entirely.

edit: Before anyone calls me out for being prejudiced against Mountune. I am not. I'm actually seriously considering buying this radiator instead of Mishimoto's. Mountune has a reputation that's been built with fast Fords for years and their facilities are top-notch.

[MENTION=5744]thePete[/MENTION] Here in Puerto Rico it's at least 90F all day and at best drops to 75F at night. Now in the summer it's close to 100F sometimes. Stock radiator works just fine for daily driving.

And [MENTION=5355]STAZ15[/MENTION] if your car overheated in traffic then it is probably part of the 2013-2014 build date FiSTs that got recalled for having faulty radiators with leaking coolant.
Nope mine was built after :)

[MENTION=4442]KraZe[/MENTION] why does it matter to you if there are multiple offerings, or if people want to change their rad? Congrats. You haven't overheated. Many people have, outside of the recall bracket. More competition in the market drives down prices and drives up development.

/Drive i think did a decent job explaining why all of this is important. https://youtu.be/s1QpD5vY1u4

Of course its all about what you are trying to do but even on stock hardware and tune, I feel like the car loses 'breathe' after 10 minutes of really heavy driving. Not enough to pull timing or anything, but enough to make you wonder why there is an 'over boost' function in the first place. Why did Ford decide that a car at this price point should limit the amount of time it spends operating at its peak power level. What I'm talking about is tied to more than just making crazy power on a single pull, but also maintaining it for longer, and having it available whenever you want it, too.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
[MENTION=4442]KraZe[/MENTION] why does it matter to you if there are multiple offerings, or if people want to change their rad? Congrats. You haven't overheated. Many people have, outside of the recall bracket. More competition in the market drives down prices and drives up development.
Not just this, but some of us (or at least I for one) will not accept a company which sources out ALL of it's manufacturing to 'bargain basement' labor costs/almost slave labor, mainland China (regardless of actual quality/quality controls, and reliability [which HAS been questioned]), and then charging US the consumers, MORE coin than Mountune does for their totally U.S. made radiator. [nono]

When it comes time for me to be able to afford, and buy an aftermarket radiator, I will put my trust, and limited money, into the Mountune, or whichever U.S. made/inspected radiator is available at that time (Ron Davis, C&R, Griffin, and Fluidyne, are you listening??). ;)

That being said, I would be willing to try their Liquid Chill coolant (not just the 4 ounce 'additive') IF I knew for sure it is totally compatible with our cooling system components, and would not void the warranty, not being a Ford approved fluid.
It is also one of the ONLY products they offer which is made in this country.

Not just this, but some of us (or at least I for one) will not accept a company which sources out ALL of it's manufacturing to 'bargain basement' labor costs/almost slave labor, mainland China (regardless of actual quality/quality controls, and reliability [which HAS been questioned]), and then charging US the consumers, MORE coin than Mountune does for their totally U.S. made radiator. [nono]

When it comes time for me to be able to afford, and buy an aftermarket radiator, I will put my trust, and limited money, into the Mountune, or whichever U.S. made/inspected radiator is available at that time (Ron Davis, C&R, Griffin, and Fluidyne, are you listening??). ;)

That being said, I would be willing to try their Liquid Chill coolant (not just the 4 ounce 'additive') IF I knew for sure it is totally compatible with our cooling system components, and would not void the warranty, not being a Ford approved fluid.
Yep. And again, I am old enough in the "scene" to remember when they were a laughable name. You didn't put a mishi sticker on your car proudly. It meant you couldn't afford good stuff.

I wonder what C&R or Ron Davis would charge. They do mostly race and custom stuff anyway. Griffin might be another option.

That coolant stuff sounds like Redline Water Wetter to me. It does work for cooling and is a good choice for people who track regularly (less mess if you spew coolant), but it offers zero freeze protection.

I read In reviews that the liquid chill was terrible and that it basically turned to jelly. I was considering it when I bought the radiator.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^I was referring to their actual GALLONS of coolant (like, and competition for, the Be Cool coolant, and the like) to use as actual anti-freeze replacement, NOT their small, 4 ounce bottle of additive meant to compete with; RL Water Wetter, RP Purple Ice, JGD's radiator additive, Flex-A-Lite's additive, Lubegard's Cool-It, etc.

Now, if their small bottle of additive has gummed-up the works, like most claim the RED/pink RL water Wetter does in Dex Cool coolant, but the BLUE DIESEL Water Watter does not, then I would NOT chance it, since much of that same solution is in the gallon containers of their coolant, according to their site copy.

FACTcheck

Mishimoto are made in China but CSF (Mountune) have all of their radiators made in Thailand, not in the USA. Griffin, C&R, Ron Davis are all made in the good old USA.

Yeah Mountune/CSF's Focus ST radiator is made in Indonesia even says so on the Ford Racing site.