Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta ST Radiator Upgrade

That's "fanboyzz" to you! ;)

Sorry, but I do have the right to NOT trust Mishi despite their lifetime warranty.

Unlike many others on here, I get no joy from removing and replacing the whole front end of the car twice or more a year, for no good reason, such as; sloppy QC and piss poor Sino manufacturing. [nono]

Of course you will say the same could hold true for the Mountune once it's out in a bunch of FiSTs, and you could be correct, and that's why I'm hoping many others will jump into the game as well.

But, the above does NOT instill any more of MY trust in the Mishi products, and I would still 'take my chances' on the Mountune IF those are the only choices when I am buying a radiator in the future.

The sole Mishi part currently on my car is the oil drain plug, and even THAT has the hex corners starting to round off after two oil changes (at not even the suggested torque), and it also has a relatively weak magnet in it, so that is being replaced this coming week by a Dimple drain plug with the strongest magnet of any of the plugs, anywhere on the market.
I don't consider myself a Mishi "fangirl", I just use what works based on the data that I have and what's available. I desperately needed a radiator and Mishi was the only company who bothered to make one, so they got my money. And guess what? It works, and has worked for over 20k miles. I'll continue to spend my money on what works, regardless of where it's made. Look, I understand you wanting to buy American, I really do. But the Fiesta isn't really an American car, despite the Ford badge. I drive a car that was designed in Europe, built in Mexico, with an engine that was made in Wales, a German transmission, a turbo (X-47) built in the U.K. and a whole host of electronics made in China and Thailand. And yes, one Chinese-made radiator. About the only things in the car that are 100% manufactured by bald eagles are myself, the Cobb AP, and the tune that it runs on.

I buy my parts off of data and what works best for me, not where it's made. As Koozy said above, Mishi was transparent as hell with the development of their radiator. They presented realistic data and details on their tests. Mountune shows us......a graph. That's it. Where was the heat readings taken from? It certainly wasn't from the engine itself, as the thermostat wouldn't allow the engine to cool down to the 156* they claim. Did they take the thermostat out and test? Maybe they took the readings from the inlet, or maybe it was the outlet, or maybe the body of the radiator? Who knows? Don't get me wrong; I'm not bashing on Mountune. I honestly hope theirs is a beast of a radiator that is at least equal to the offering from Mishi, as I may end up needing it if space becomes an issue. But as it sits, just based on the currently availabile data alone, I'd buy the Mishi every time. I'm hoping these folks thatve bought the Mountune put it through its paces and report back with real data under different driving conditions that we can use. I'd like to see data on a stock turbo and hybrid/BT cars as well.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Fair enough, and NO ONE can blame anyone for buying what is 'the only game in town', and supporting a company which filled a need when ALL others (of ANY country of origin) refused to do so. [thumb] [wink]

Supposedly, the Mountune is not even built here, (so it's not just a 'buy Murrican' issue), but rather the problems many (thankfully, not you and some others on here) have had with various Mishi products, including other platform radiators, and a lack of trust (of quality) with products coming from mainland China, although some are great, and probably due to draconian/meticulous Q.C. oversight on the companies' part.

I know FULL WELL WHERE this car is screwed together, and where the parts are sourced from, but I am just glad that there is FINALLY (if one does not count the long gone SRT-4s/Cobalt SSes) a domestic nameplate at all which can compete with, and beat all of the onslaught of Nippon/Asian 'sport compact/hot hatch' rides out there, (and which so many on this site are still hardcore fans of it seems).

^^^This goes TRIPLE for the FoRS against the; Evo/STI/new Type R/etc.!! [driving]

I've had both oil cooler and radiator, and now only the radiator since it took care of my cooling needs alone. for me they're both somewhat equal in terms of install. The challenge with the oil cooler is routing the lines through tight areas. The challenge with the radiator is taking off the front end.
So the oil cooler wasn't enough so you bought a radiator and now you just use the radiator? Have you tracked your car?

Got some feedback from Mountune:
- Radiator has an air bleed screw to remove air pockets
- Holds about 0.5qt extra coolant (for comparison Mishimoto's holds 3qt extra)
- They have the radiator mounted on their MR265 Fiesta ST180

koozy

3000 Post Club
So the oil cooler wasn't enough so you bought a radiator and now you just use the radiator? Have you tracked your car?
I wanted a DHM Race Intercooler, which doesn't allow for the oil cooler unless mods are made. I no longer wanted the oil cooler and opted for a radiator instead.

Well I took a leap of faith after enough research online and ordered the mountune/CSF radiator. I have a track day coming up next month so expect feedback and results by August 1st at the latest.

On my previous track day at 85F ambient temperature my coolant sensor went to full Hot every 2 laps and felt like the car had no boost. This happened 5 times in 11 fast laps. I could do at best 2 fast laps before having to take 2-3 cooldown laps before trying again. Literally half of my time on the track was coasting so I hope this radiator fixes that.

mishimoto1

Hello Everyone

Thank you for your comments. I found this thread very interesting and thought I would shed some light on why we chose our specific design for the 2014+ Fiesta ST.

We chose a 3-row design to make the rad as thick as possible while maintaining direct fitment. The increased thickness allows for more external fin surface area, which will increase heat rejection. It also increases the overall core volume significantly, which improves the cooling capacity of the radiator.

The size of this rad was pushed so much to its limit that we designed a replacement fan shroud to ensure fitment. Reusing the stock fan shroud meant that we would have to leave volume (and performance) on the table so we chose to incorporate our own shroud.

We also have a full engineering blog that goes over our development and testing phase of the product if you would like more technical info https://engineering.mishimoto.com/category/by-make/ford/fiesta-st/ford-fiesta-st-radiator-2014/ .

If you have any further questions, concerns or issues what so ever please feel free to contact us directly at support@mishimoto.com and we would be happy to help.

Have a great day
-Jake
Mishimoto

So my radiator came in today. The unit looks great but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed. The only thing in the box was the radiator itself, there are no installation instructions or anything else. It would be nice to have received some sort of information regarding exactly how much coolant will be needed etc... I'll be installing the radiator this weekend and will report back with temps etc. Currently on my 15 mile commute temps peak above 230 degrees, its been really hot in SoCal.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
^^^Yes, that should have had DETAILED directions in the box. [:(]

But, in fairness (and NOT because; "Mountune fanboi" like some on here label me, despite only having 2 Mountune parts on the car, once I install their charge hose kit! [histerical]), MANY vendors on here do NOT include printed directions in the box.

In fact, the ONLY ones I've dealt with so far which do include illustrated, detailed, printed directions were cp-e and GFB.

The rest expect you to HAVE TO have either a; smartphone with paid internet access (and VERY good eyes), a printer (to print said directions off the web), or a laptop which you don't care about to risk being around a worked-on car, the dirt/grease/oil/grime/cleaner solvents/etc., and the ('flying' LOL!) tools needed for the job. [mad]

In any case, looking forward to your review/results. [thumb]

Mishimoto has an excellent how-to guide on Youtube. It may be getting more hits from Mountune radiator customers [biggrin]

[video=youtube;fGks9I-OsiA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGks9I-OsiA[/video]
I've watched the video already to get an idea of what I was in for and when I wasn't sure which radiator to go with. My point is a company like Mountune should take the time to provide instructions and information, I shouldn't have to rely on a competitors how-to video. OK off my soap box! :) All that to say I'm excited to get this installed and hit the track next month!

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
I've watched the video already to get an idea of what I was in for and when I wasn't sure which radiator to go with. My point is a company like Mountune should take the time to provide instructions and information, I shouldn't have to rely on a competitors how-to video. OK off my soap box! :) All that to say I'm excited to get this installed and hit the track next month!
Another option is to get the Ford service manual. Direct fitment means should install the same way.

koozy

3000 Post Club
Perhaps someone who has purchased and will be installing their Mountune radiator would be so kind to create a detailed and thorough how-to guide for others with like radiator to make things easier for them.

Received my Mountune Rad today, quality is good just like all other Mountune parts. Look forward to getting it installed.

So I installed my Radiator today. I did not get any pics sadly. I got involved in the installation and didnt think to take pictures until after I had the radiator mounted and everything bolted in. The installation if very involved, but its actually not that difficult. Be careful removing the bleeder valve, I broke the plastic tabs on mine and likely need to replace it. Going to get that replaced then I take it for a spin. Ill post my first impressions tomorrow!