Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Mountune Fiesta ST Radiator Upgrade

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #81
You kinda proved his point. Mountune made such a bad FMIC they had to update the design.
[MENTION=2319]jmrtsus[/MENTION] http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/threads/3755-Which-Fiesta-ST-Intercooler-did-you-choose/page28 look at the bottom of the page AccelJunky's mountune FMIC reached +82F charge air temps over ambient on a track day.
Incorrect.
Since they revised their design.
They wouldn't exactly have the worst intercooler on the market for $800 bucks would they.
Infact, literally nothing about his statement is fact.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #82
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I agree that Mountune stands behind their work, but Mountune's intercooler isn't Ford warranty approved. It states clearly on their website that ONLY the MP215 kit (which doesn't include an intercooler), when installed by an authorized Ford dealer, will keep your warranty intact. Everything else Mountune sells is "off-road use only".
I don't think anyone claimed ALL of Mountune's products were warranty friendly.
But they definitely offer the most Warranty friendly and CARB approved products..
Their parts are on par with Cobb, Mishi, and CPE.
Bolt ons are all pretty much the same anyways.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
I don't have a dog in this fight, and I agree that Mountune stands behind their work, but Mountune's intercooler isn't Ford warranty approved. It states clearly on their website that ONLY the MP215 kit (which doesn't include an intercooler), when installed by an authorized Ford dealer, will keep your warranty intact. Everything else Mountune sells is "off-road use only".
It now says at the top of the Mountune web page it does not affect your FMC warranty.......they forgot remove to old emission statement at the bottom. Took a while to get Ford's blessing for some reason. And unlike the MP-215 it is not covered under your FMC warranty......just does not affect your FMC warranty.

It does not say "only" the MP-215 that I have ever seen, actually there is a two page list of the warranty friendly parts besides the MP-215 for the various Fords. Below is the Fiesta ST list of those covered by your FMC warranty like the MP-215...many others like the IC will not affect your warranty but not be covered either.

Fiesta/Fiesta ST
Calibration/Cold Air Kits w/ Calibration: mountune 2364-215-AA (2014-15), mountune 2364-CAIS-AA (2014-15), mountune 2364-IC-AA (2014-15), mountune 2364-IC-BA (2014-15) Shifters: M-7210-FA (2011-14), mountune 2238-BQS-AA (2014-15), mountune 2130-BSA-AA (2012-15) Handling Packs: M-FR3-FA (2011-14) Exhaust: M-5230-FAC (2011-14), M-5230-FAB (2011-14), M-5200-FAST (2014)

Incorrect.
Since they revised their design.
They wouldn't exactly have the worst intercooler on the market for $800 bucks would they.
Infact, literally nothing about his statement is fact.

Literally everything about his statement USED to be fact. Seriously, just because they took it off the market doesn't mean their mistake never existed. It's quite obvious you're a fanboy that doesn't acknowledge when a company sells you overpriced shit.

In fact, not only was their FMIC bad but their rear motor mount is also mediocre. I have it and have to grease it every 6 months because the urethane bushings start to creak loudly and it's infuriating. I have two other friends with FiSTs and mountune RMM, one of them had his RMM bushing completely break and bought a Boomba replacement, the other has horrible wheel hop now and it's probably because it broke too we're gonna take it off next week. No one with a Cobb RMM that I personally know has had any issues so far.

AND guess what? I've sent 3 emails over 5 days to Mountune asking them about this radiator and didn't get a single answer back. I've had ZERO good experiences with Mountune.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #85
Literally everything about his statement USED to be fact. Seriously, just because they took it off the market doesn't mean their mistake never existed. It's quite obvious you're a fanboy that doesn't acknowledge when a company sells you overpriced shit.

In fact, not only was their FMIC bad but their rear motor mount is also mediocre. I have it and have to grease it every 6 months because the urethane bushings start to creak loudly and it's infuriating. I have two other friends with FiSTs and mountune RMM, one of them had his RMM bushing completely break and bought a Boomba replacement, the other has horrible wheel hop now and it's probably because it broke too we're gonna take it off next week. No one with a Cobb RMM that I personally know has had any issues so far.

AND guess what? I've sent 3 emails over 5 days to Mountune asking them about this radiator and didn't get a single answer back. I've had ZERO good experiences with Mountune.
Sorry bout your experience.
Luckily mine has been great!

Actually I just remembered the early mountune short shift kits would cause 6th gear to grind or pop the shift linkage off during a hard shift so they had to redesign it. At least mountune sent the new revisions to the owners for free.

If I might suggest we steer the convo back onto radiators? I understand that everyone is eager to protect their brands, pride, and where they chose to spend their money, but let's give Mountune the opportunity to go up against Mishi's radiator and see how it fares in keeping down temps during high demand scenarios. I'm not going to say something is crap without first seeing some real-world, non-biased results. If it's just as capable as the Mishi I have, but lighter, thinner, and allows me to put on a 4 port injection spacer without issue, then I'll definitely be buying one. If it can't keep up with the demands under high loads or heavy traffic and summer temps, then I'll stick with my Mishi.

On a side note: the "triple pass" feature has me intrigued. I'm no cooling system goddess, but my knowledge goes thusly (feel free to correct me): The Mishi is so thick because of its "3 row" design, which holds a lot more coolant, but isn't as efficient at shedding heat due to its thickness. Air simply doesn't pass quickly through it, making the front row much more efficient than the back. The multiple pass type radiators use diverters to channel water flow in an "S" pattern, keeping the coolant in the radiator longer to shed heat, allowing for a thinner/lighter radiator. Some even have turbulence inducers to help shed even more heat. There's some debate about the effectiveness of triple vs double pass. From what I understand, even NASCAR cars mainly only use a double pass. I wonder why they decided on a triple pass for the FiST.

OP
Brura22

Brura22

Thread Starter #88
If I might suggest we steer the convo back onto radiators? I understand that everyone is eager to protect their brands, pride, and where they chose to spend their money, but let's give Mountune the opportunity to go up against Mishi's radiator and see how it fares in keeping down temps during high demand scenarios. I'm not going to say something is crap without first seeing some real-world, non-biased results. If it's just as capable as the Mishi I have, but lighter, thinner, and allows me to put on a 4 port injection spacer without issue, then I'll definitely be buying one. If it can't keep up with the demands under high loads or heavy traffic and summer temps, then I'll stick with my Mishi.

On a side note: the "triple pass" feature has me intrigued. I'm no cooling system goddess, but my knowledge goes thusly (feel free to correct me): The Mishi is so thick because of its "3 row" design, which holds a lot more coolant, but isn't as efficient at shedding heat due to its thickness. Air simply doesn't pass quickly through it, making the front row much more efficient than the back. The multiple pass type radiators use diverters to channel water flow in an "S" pattern, keeping the coolant in the radiator longer to shed heat, allowing for a thinner/lighter radiator. Some even have turbulence inducers to help shed even more heat. There's some debate about the effectiveness of triple vs double pass. From what I understand, even NASCAR cars mainly only use a double pass. I wonder why they decided on a triple pass for the FiST.
I'm no engineer either.. but I imagine the small size allowed for 3 passes.
A NASCAR engine radiator is a tad larger. So even a double pass or single pass on a NASCAR Radiator is probably still more distance traveled than our triple pass tiny radiators lol

koozy

3000 Post Club
I'm not a big fan of Mishimoto, but I feel their radiator for the Fiesta ST is going to be hard to beat. One thing to note is that generally triple pass radiators put a strain on the water pump and usually require an upgrade to keep up with the pressure and flow demands. Since Mountune/CSF haven't been transparent with their Fiesta ST radiator development like Mishimoto was we'll have to wait for users to chime in on their real world experiences.

That's the gist of it. I mentioned that early in the thread. 3row is not necessarily triple pass. And you got the important parts of the difference. No word if the mishi is triple pass, but I doubt it. It's not the cheapest option, so it kinda goes against their ethos.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

I'm not a big fan of Mishimoto, but I feel their radiator for the Fiesta ST is going to be hard to beat. One thing to note is that generally triple pass radiators put a strain on the water pump and usually require an upgrade to keep up with the pressure and flow demands. Since Mountune/CFS haven't been transparent with their Fiesta ST radiator development like Mishimoto was we'll have to wait for users to chime in on their real world experiences.
Only if it restricts the flow more than stock. Which it won't necessary, while the mishi might restrict less, and they hope to gain their cooling by sheer volume of coolant going through the rad rather than how long it spends in the air flow.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

A triple pass is definitely more demanding on the water pump than a single pass like our stock radiators. Read somewhere that a triple pass requires 64x the pressure to circulate the coolant at the same mass flow rate? I trust Mountune took that into consideration or this radiator might cause hot spots due to the coolant not circulating quickly enough, or worse, water pump failures long term.

I'm equally concerned about the lack of an apparent air bleeder screw since I don't want to go and purchase an Air Lift II coolant filler and air compressor for this (+$350). The whole "burping" process of bleeding air pockets from a cooling system is not easy for a DIY amateur mechanic like myself.

Would an upgraded radiator cool more than an oil cooler which is much simpler to install?

koozy

3000 Post Club
Would an upgraded radiator cool more than an oil cooler which is much simpler to install?
I've had both oil cooler and radiator, and now only the radiator since it took care of my cooling needs alone. for me they're both somewhat equal in terms of install. The challenge with the oil cooler is routing the lines through tight areas. The challenge with the radiator is taking off the front end.

Keep us posted once it's installed, so we have answers for all of the Mishi "fanboys". ;) LOL
HAHAHA! Hopefully it gets here mid week for install this coming weekend. My FiST has been running really hot in this socal heat! I actually went in to limp mode on my way back from Octane Academy in the beginning of the month.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
you and the Mountune fanbois as well.
That's "fanboyzz" to you! ;)

Sorry, but I do have the right to NOT trust Mishi despite their lifetime warranty.

Unlike many others on here, I get no joy from removing and replacing the whole front end of the car twice or more a year, for no good reason, such as; sloppy QC and piss poor Sino manufacturing. [nono]

Of course you will say the same could hold true for the Mountune once it's out in a bunch of FiSTs, and you could be correct, and that's why I'm hoping many others will jump into the game as well.

But, the above does NOT instill any more of MY trust in the Mishi products, and I would still 'take my chances' on the Mountune IF those are the only choices when I am buying a radiator in the future.

The sole Mishi part currently on my car is the oil drain plug, and even THAT has the hex corners starting to round off after two oil changes (at not even the suggested torque), and it also has a relatively weak magnet in it, so that is being replaced this coming week by a Dimple drain plug with the strongest magnet of any of the plugs, anywhere on the market.

Nobody here is a mishimoto fanboy. I dont have a single mishimoto branded part in my FiST and i have many, many parts installed. I did had their j line ic and catchcan before though

I have no loyalty to any brand like a lot of people do here. If they release a crap product then i will call them out on them. I dont care if all their previous or future products are good. Mountune was the worse ic for years before they updated it. And I seen people backing up a new product without data. Like the c39 and how it was better than the x37/47. We all know what happen lol.

I do hope it is as good or better than mishimoto. Ill be waiting for results from this mountune radiator from users here. Although i may not get a chance to wait for the results and buy mishimotos radiator already. Is 120° all summer and i need an upgraded radiator asap. And i know the mishimoto has proven to work here as my close friend ish works perfect for over at least 10 months in the same weather and misstrouble seems to be doing fine with similar weather.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Rolled the dice blind on this one and pulled the trigger. It has been sitting in my closet for a few days now, but will chime in with my .$02 shortly after install.