Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car overheated with kids...

I hate it when people pull the whole freedom of speech argument.....that only applies to public life in relation to the government's powers (in the united states anyway). This is a privately owned (worldwide) forum, freedom of speech means nothing here. Everything is at the forum owners and admin/mods discretion.

"Freedom of Speech" is not an excuse to be a jerk. And seriously....pulling the "snowflake" card? What is this, high school? jesus....

ANYWAY, on to the real subject at hand.

Glad the family is okay, I've owned my car for a while and have had it out in several hot and humid days without issue. I understand the anger but give the techs a chance to fix the issue. Let us know how everything goes!

GAbOS

Didn't realize this forum contained the level of asshole as I've seen in this thread.

Take care of your family first.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3000 using Tapatalk

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #23
I have not heard back from the dealership yet. If they find a problem great! But if they don't find a problem, I will most likely purchase the new radiator from Mountune as this is probably a better decision financially than getting rid of the car for another one. Plus, outside of this problem, my wife and I really like the car.

The reason I was so upset yesterday was really because of myself. My wife never wanted to get a FiST, but I talked her into it, and then it broke down on her and the kids while I was working so far from home. But as I said earlier, she's really grown to love the car.

As far as my account goes- I think it's best to keep it for business purposes only (buy, sell, etc.) as I still have the car.

I've seen stuff happen like this on meme groups; just thought I'd never see it here.

JasonHaven

Been through a few DC swamp heat summers now, with daily stop and go, and no problems here. Hopefully they find something, it's not normal for these cars to overheat in these situations :)

Been through a few DC swamp heat summers now, with daily stop and go, and no problems here. Hopefully they find something, it's not normal for these cars to overheat in these situations :)
Worst that happens is it feels bogged down from heatsoak is all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh really? So it's okay for you to break forum rules by calling others names? Is it also okay to make fun of others for being worried about their infant/toddlers being broke down on a hwy during a heat advisory when they're 17 hours away? I'm leaving this forum. I want nothing you're apart of.
I guess I'll add my two cents.

Lesson learned -- in moments of crisis with your new FiST, call the number provided by the fellow forum member: 1-800-241-3673
I think some people are annoyed that you came on the forum merely to complain (you weren't asking for help or anything, rather you were just venting -- especially just frustrations from life and things that have nothing to do with the car).
There's nothing wrong with complaining but there was a bit too much 'oh poor me'... and 'bad bad ford'...and I think that's why people weren't responding nicely.

Any car can break down, overheat, etc. and leave your family stranded. Even a brand new Camry. People have been in really bad situations before so unless it's worth complaining about I usually keep it to myself...
I never considered the FiST a good family car. Just too small for my liking and an uncomfortable ride for passengers.
Good luck.

P.S. You don't want to drive a car that's overheating so it's probably good your the car wouldn't turn back on... Otherwise risking some engine damage. Hope a new radiator resolves your issue. Stop and Go traffic is hard on any car.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Any car can break down, overheat, etc. and leave your family stranded. Even a brand new Camry.
THANK YOU for bringing this to light!!

The FIRST thing anyone in this country seems to do when they have ANY problem with a domestic nameplate car, is trip over their own two feet RUNNING to the 'go to' Camrys/Accords/etc., thinking that they MUST BE 'infallible' (because EVERYONE "says so"??).

Then, when those cars have problems (sometimes, even more severe, expensive, bothersome, and maybe even dangerous than the domestic nameplate's), they conveniently become abject apologists for the far east nameplate's problems, or get a bad case of amnesia when asked about the problems (I guess to justify their decision/not have to admit their mistake?). [???:)]

AzNightmare

Sounds more like a bunch of FiST forum users got butthurt because someone said something bad about the beloved Fiesta ST and threatened to get another car.
We were not there in the situation, we don't have a right to judge the circumstances. The forum is a good place to get info and he was able to get a number to call because not all of us are jerks and someone actually posted useful info. Let's try to be more helpful as a community.

Glad to hear this, keep us posted on whats wrong with the car as well.

Also if you've purchased an extended warranty you can get a free loaner while the car is in service.
True but they wont give you one until they determine if the repair is covered under warranty. Such has been my experience lately.

CanadianGuy

4000 Post Club
True but they wont give you one until they determine if the repair is covered under warranty. Such has been my experience lately.
They will if they need to keep it for a period of time to check. And some dealership offer you a demo for the day. I know mine did due to how much will deal with them and had a flex for a day.

Sounds more like a bunch of FiST forum users got butthurt because someone said something bad about the beloved Fiesta ST and threatened to get another car.
Not once have I ever thought "I'm going to sell this piece of junk and get another piece of junk" when something breaks on any of my cars. Every car is going to have it's own set of problems. Like Seijou said I think it's more people posting the way they did because of the oh poor me attitude. That's all.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #32
Update: the dealer looked over the car and couldn't find a problem with anything; the rep said that he thinks it was a "glitch." Can't say I completely buy that, but who knows. He also said that "STs are temperamental." Can't say I buy that either. As for now, it's some sort of a mystery. Time will tell where it goes from here.

As for the "oh poor me" comments- I was upset at the situation, and I was mad at myself. I didn't ask for a shoulder to cry on, nor was I seeking it. I didn't give a flying **** about myself. If anything it was, "oh my poor wife children." But you can go ahead and criticize me for that now.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #34
I have heard and experienced the ac quitting when it gets too hot. That is due to improper gas levels in the system. You can have them check that.
Interesting; thank you. I'll have them give that a look when I pick it up. My wife said that the AC was running fine, and that the car didn't feel any different, or run weird, no smell etc.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
Also, another inexpensive, quick and easy thing you could try in order to give yourself some 'headroom'/leeway in the severe heat, stop and go scenarios;

Drain just the complete contents of the overflow tank, and refill with either distilled, or de-ionized water and Lubegard's "Kool-It" or the like.
It might just give you a few more degrees of overheat, and limp home mode/shut down protection.

BTW; My post was NOT directed at you in particular, just at the general 'knee-jerk' reflex of the majority of the U.S. 'appliance consumer' masses.
I too would have been PLENTY upset if my young kids, and a wife I cared about, were involved in that same situation. ;)

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #36
^^^Never heard of that! Maybe worth trying. I don't know what's gonna happen now. Warranty work on.... no faulty parts? If it happens again, and they continue to shrug their shoulders, I'll probably get the Mountune radiator.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Sometimes dealer mechanics may find a minor issue, such as needing a top-off and will compensate for it, but will not specifically mention it in notes that were entered into the system and on the invoice. The service manager may primarily operate from those notes that the mechanic makes or neglects to make, and as a result are often left to filling in details with their own imagination vs repeatedly hunting down and interrupting mechanics who are now on the clock for another customer's vehicle. Worse case, information may also be withheld if it is believed that the information may trigger an abandonment of the vehicle or loan.

Verify that the engine fan runs when the A/C is activated.

After confirming the number of speeds this engine fan has, (most are two speed I think,) I'd seek to verify that the fan operates at both speeds. I had my prior vehicle for a couple of years before I even knew it had a second speed, and nicknamed it "wind tunnel" speed because it was loud and you could feel the hot air rushing over your legs standing at the rear of the vehicle. The old vehicle had a test where the ECU would briefly activate both speeds. The only way to get it going on high without the test, would be to run the already warmed engine at 3200 RPM for >15 minutes at a standstill in 90 degree weather; it was more than adequately cooled.

Also, you mentioned the wife didn't want this car from the beginning. Out of curiosity, what were her reasons, and what vehicle was she advocating instead?

No one should have to make any changes (including adding coolant) to a brand new stock 2016/2017 vehicle of 6,000 miles or experience an overheat. *Anyone* has the right to be upset about it, absent of vehicle modification or/and outright abuse. Great job MKVIIST for the quick and helpful response at the head of this post.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #39
Sometimes dealer mechanics may find a minor issue, such as needing a top-off and will compensate for it, but will not specifically mention it in notes that were entered into the system and on the invoice. The service manager may primarily operate from those notes that the mechanic makes or neglects to make, and as a result are often left to filling in details with their own imagination vs repeatedly hunting down and interrupting mechanics who are now on the clock for another customer's vehicle. Worse case, information may also be withheld if it is believed that the information may trigger an abandonment of the vehicle or loan.

Verify that the engine fan runs when the A/C is activated.

After confirming the number of speeds this engine fan has, (most are two speed I think,) I'd seek to verify that the fan operates at both speeds. I had my prior vehicle for a couple of years before I even knew it had a second speed, and nicknamed it "wind tunnel" speed because it was loud and you could feel the hot air rushing over your legs standing at the rear of the vehicle. The old vehicle had a test where the ECU would briefly activate both speeds. The only way to get it going on high without the test, would be to run the already warmed engine at 3200 RPM for >15 minutes at a standstill in 90 degree weather; it was more than adequately cooled.

Also, you mentioned the wife didn't want this car from the beginning. Out of curiosity, what were her reasons, and what vehicle was she advocating instead?

No one should have to make any changes (including adding coolant) to a brand new stock 2016/2017 vehicle of 6,000 miles or experience an overheat. *Anyone* has the right to be upset about it, absent of vehicle modification or/and outright abuse. Great job MKVIIST for the quick and helpful response at the head of this post.
Great info here. I haven't thought about the two fan speeds being a possibility; I'll definitely be asking about this, thank you!

She didn't want the FiST because she said it was too small; she wanted something bigger. No particular vehicle in mind, just something bigger. They loaned her a Fusion... she hates it lol She says it's a boat, the steering is numb, it's slow, and has no feel. Needless to say, she wants the "too small" car back.

jmrtsus

1000 Post Club
^^^Never heard of that! Maybe worth trying. I don't know what's gonna happen now. Warranty work on.... no faulty parts? If it happens again, and they continue to shrug their shoulders, I'll probably get the Mountune radiator.
You keep talking about getting the Mountune radiator. What makes you think your stock radiator is defective? The stock cooling is adequate for our cars short of major mods or tracking it. What is happening to you is a problem not yet located, by installing an aftermarket radiator you may complicate your issue at your dealer. You have reported an overheating issue, to my knowledge the Mountune Radiator is not covered under the Ford warranty like the MP-215 and other parts. So if your dealer is a jerk they could give you problems if you bring it back for the cooling again. Some dealers are OK with mods and some can be jerks, I would get the issue resolved by the Ford dealer before investing in a new radiator, the radiator is not your problem.