Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Car overheated with kids...

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #41
You keep talking about getting the Mountune radiator. What makes you think your stock radiator is defective? The stock cooling is adequate for our cars short of major mods or tracking it. What is happening to you is a problem not yet located, by installing an aftermarket radiator you may complicate your issue at your dealer. You have reported an overheating issue, to my knowledge the Mountune Radiator is not covered under the Ford warranty like the MP-215 and other parts. So if your dealer is a jerk they could give you problems if you bring it back for the cooling again. Some dealers are OK with mods and some can be jerks, I would get the issue resolved by the Ford dealer before investing in a new radiator, the radiator is not your problem.
You have a good point here.

my Car runs very hot in traffic It always has from new. Deal said it was "normal". in traffic i have to put the heat on full blast to keep from boiling over.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Wasn't there a recall or fix put out to replace a fan relay due to over heating ST's?
For the 2016, there is an engine fan relay campaign, yes. The replacement relay has beefier contacts, capacity.
The original would slowly burn up over time. Wrong one was installed for a short period at one of their factories.
My original relay appeared fine but I took no chances because from the description of the issue, the fuse box contacts themselves could be compromised if neglected.

https://owner.ford.com/tools/account/maintenance/recalls.html?pagename=Owner/Page/RecallsPage
Oddly enough, I just checked and it disappeared for my 2016.
Never had service personnel touch it or look at it, ever. The only way they'd replace the relay is via appointment. I pointed out that it takes one minute to replace it... didn't matter. Never gave them my information. So I said screw-it, went to the service department and bought the stupid ($40) part myself and "installed" it right in their parking lot. Ran the A/C just to verify that the relay worked.

[MENTION=610]vixenlotus[/MENTION] - I would say the dealer is full of crock. I see that it is a 2014 but on stock programming and hardware, would assume that is *definitely* not normal and it's not like you're in a particularly hot state. May try completely replacing the coolant, making sure that the mix is sufficient to prevent boil-over.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #45
Update: They were able to get the car to overheat the next day, but still don't know why. Things are starting to get serious. Corporate is getting involved, and the tech at the dealer says the he thinks it's a possibility that the head gasket might be bad.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Compression and leak-down testing, as well as "block testing" the coolant can confirm or deny the theory. It may be impossible to say whether it overheated and blew the gasket or the head/gasket was blown and caused the overheat.

Happy to "hear" that Ford is standing by their customer. Keep us informed.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #48
Update: The dealer said that there was, "internal failure in the radiator." They replaced the radiator. Hopefully this was a fluke, and doesn't start to turn into a trend with other 16s.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
Based on that explanation I'd guess they thought that the radiator had an extremely small breach, allowing it to suck in air as it cooled; laying blame on the radiator instead of head or head gasket. I wouldn't phrase a bad radiator as having "an internal failure" though.

Unless there's some newfangled automobile radiator design that I'm not aware of, they either develop an external breach that allows air/water exchange or the internal passages get blocked. They have no internal parts to fail.

I've never known any cooling systems to have a filter. Unlike with lubrication and hydraulic systems, small amounts of tiny debris in the cooling system generally aren't problematic.

OP
T

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Thread Starter #54
... And your first thought was to make a bitch post on a forum? Sounds like your priorities are completely in order.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Actually my first thought was to call family for help, which I did. Thanks for the kind words.