Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler gurus, need your brain cells.

A7xogg

The Levels is more $$$ than I want to spend on an intercooler.
$500 fora hand tig welded intercooler made in USA is not expensive at all. I got mine cause ive been through buying parts for cheap and its always come and bitten me in the ass

OP
F
Thread Starter #22
$500 fora hand tig welded intercooler made in USA is not expensive at all. I got mine cause ive been through buying parts for cheap and its always come and bitten me in the ass
I'm sure it's nice for the price but I'm not spending $500 for an intercooler.

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
WHY I bought (on a Whoosh super-sale/GP) the cp-e unit. ;)

But the Levels is also a work of art, and helps out/supports a VETERAN! [thumb] [cool]

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I've decided to upgrade my stock IC since it's not really cut out for Florida heat. I've kinda narrowed it down to the Mishimoto J-line and the Whoosh.

Now, I've done some research on the Mishimoto and I know it's heavy and requires some extra work to make it fit. If I get the mounting bracket for it, will that make it easier to install? I would also need some 90 degree silicone elbows but I'm not sure what length. Some seemed to make shorter ones work and others needed to buy longer ones. Main reason why I want the Mishimoto is I can get it in Gold which I think would look good with my platinum white ST.

Is it worth the trouble of should I go with the Whoosh brand that's also very nice? It seems far easier to install. As far as other upgrades, I plan on going with the Mountune MTX but want to do some bolt ons before heading down that road.

Thanks!
Do a bunch of reading...here is a decent article ....its older but good explanation of the two types of intercooler....disadvanages and advantages and opinions.... http://www.superstreetonline.com/how-to/engine/0304-turp-intercooler/

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

new cp e intercooler installed. floridast is grabbing my mountune. gotta keep the goodies circulating lol. seriously now, while the mountune is great upgrade for a stock turbo, I hope the cp e does better with the hybred turbo. boyracer

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Whoosh intercooler appears to be extremely similar to COBB / DEPO / MOUNTUNE design, bolts right in with no extra work.
I have the DEPO intercooler, couldn't be happier with the price and performance.
Is the whoosh bar and plate style?

KKaWing

Woosh should be bar and plate. The only tube and fins are the mountune, mishimoto, forge motorsports, and I think certain perone (sp?) intercoolers.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wonder if it's a direct bolt up....no monkey/modifying? Who has one? Let me know!

OP
F
Thread Starter #29
Yes I did get the Mountune from boyracer. Should be much better than stock and suit my needs for now. He's a great guy to deal with if anybody is so inclined in the future. [like]

M-Sport fan

9000 Post Club
new cp e intercooler installed. floridast is grabbing my mountune. gotta keep the goodies circulating lol. seriously now, while the mountune is great upgrade for a stock turbo, I hope the cp e does better with the hybred turbo. boyracer
Yeah, I figured that IF the cp-e can handle some of the hybrids, it will more than cover anything the factory mini-snail can throw at it, even with a 'on the edge', radical custom tune (yet ANOTHER reason I chose it over the rest of the 'factory fits', despite; being bar and plate, and weighing more than the others). [wink]

I have the levels prototype that nik made. Still the tall unit, but not the current tanks he welds on now. Being 2 inches thick, and 10 tall, i dont think its being very beneficial on my c39 with e30 down in florida. If these intercooler pipes dont help much woth my airflow, ill be getting a bigger unit and selling this one :)

KKaWing

I have the levels prototype that nik made. Still the tall unit, but not the current tanks he welds on now. Being 2 inches thick, and 10 tall, i dont think its being very beneficial on my c39 with e30 down in florida. If these intercooler pipes dont help much woth my airflow, ill be getting a bigger unit and selling this one :)
How are the coolant temps with the intercooler? My biggest worry when fitting a larger bar and plate cooler is whether it blocks too much airflow to the radiator or not.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I wouldn't have any worries....its minimal as you are not blocking the radiator completely.
Any and either. I am not a fan of the ebay header. If the Pumaspeed has added value, I will go that route. Regardless, anxious to see how spool can be helped with the MRX. Getting some different manifolds and data going would be great. I'm just contemplating the ifs.
Ah....I see....well...I'm compiling parts currently and I have a couple of pieces that might produce some interesting numbers in the very near future so stay tuned![emoji6]
How are the coolant temps with the intercooler? My biggest worry when fitting a larger bar and plate cooler is whether it blocks too much airflow to the radiator or not.

AzNightmare

I had the same dilemma a few weeks back. Whoosh seems to be a Depo/COBB/MTC clone. Only advantage with Whoosh is that it comes in black (or unpainted) which is why I would consider it over Depo since I want a black IC. Plus Depo intercoolers weren't in stock the last time I checked.

In the end, I went with J-Line though. I like the look better, less common, I wanted the challenge since I like DIY, and on the off chance I might actually upgrade my turbo one day, I'll at least be IC ready. J-Line is on the way, I'll probably get it sometime this week.