Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Intercooler gurus, need your brain cells.

I've decided to upgrade my stock IC since it's not really cut out for Florida heat. I've kinda narrowed it down to the Mishimoto J-line and the Whoosh.

Now, I've done some research on the Mishimoto and I know it's heavy and requires some extra work to make it fit. If I get the mounting bracket for it, will that make it easier to install? I would also need some 90 degree silicone elbows but I'm not sure what length. Some seemed to make shorter ones work and others needed to buy longer ones. Main reason why I want the Mishimoto is I can get it in Gold which I think would look good with my platinum white ST.

Is it worth the trouble of should I go with the Whoosh brand that's also very nice? It seems far easier to install. As far as other upgrades, I plan on going with the Mountune MTX but want to do some bolt ons before heading down that road.

Thanks!

Brura22

I've decided to upgrade my stock IC since it's not really cut out for Florida heat. I've kinda narrowed it down to the Mishimoto J-line and the Whoosh.

Now, I've done some research on the Mishimoto and I know it's heavy and requires some extra work to make it fit. If I get the mounting bracket for it, will that make it easier to install? I would also need some 90 degree silicone elbows but I'm not sure what length. Some seemed to make shorter ones work and others needed to buy longer ones. Main reason why I want the Mishimoto is I can get it in Gold which I think would look good with my platinum white ST.

Is it worth the trouble of should I go with the Whoosh brand that's also very nice? It seems far easier to install. As far as other upgrades, I plan on going with the Mountune MTX but want to do some bolt ons before heading down that road.

Thanks!
ModBargains sells the entire kit for the J line.
Couplers, elbows, bracket.
That's what I use for my MRX now.
Barely see above ambient temps ever in this 100 degree desert climate

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whoosh intercooler appears to be extremely similar to COBB / DEPO / MOUNTUNE design, bolts right in with no extra work.
I have the DEPO intercooler, couldn't be happier with the price and performance.

OP
F
Thread Starter #4
ModBargains sells the entire kit for the J line.
Couplers, elbows, bracket.
That's what I use for my MRX now.
Barely see above ambient temps ever in this 100 degree desert climate

Are the couplers long enough? I was reading where some had to buy longer couplers.

Brura22

Are the couplers long enough? I was reading where some had to buy longer couplers.
Mine were. I muscled them a little and clamped em down. But 100% compatible in my opinion.

OP
F
Thread Starter #6
Mine were. I muscled them a little and clamped em down. But 100% compatible in my opinion.

Did you have to flip the IC so the outlets would line up better? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I can install it without any drama.

Brura22

Did you have to flip the IC so the outlets would line up better? Sorry for all the questions but I want to make sure I can install it without any drama.
No I installed it as intended.
I did trim my bumper a ton though.
You don't have to trim like I did though with the bracket from ModBargains.

If you never plan on above 300 whp then the whoosh product is the best.
Mine is also for looks...

OP
F
Thread Starter #8
No I installed it as intended.
I did trim my bumper a ton though.
You don't have to trim like I did though with the bracket from ModBargains.

If you never plan on above 300 whp then the whoosh product is the best.
Mine is also for looks...

Looks nice and thanks for your help. There's no "M" logo on the IC anymore?

OP
F
Thread Starter #10
Whoosh intercooler appears to be extremely similar to COBB / DEPO / MOUNTUNE design, bolts right in with no extra work.
I have the DEPO intercooler, couldn't be happier with the price and performance.
Yeah I hear it's really nice. It's a tough decision.

Izzy

I also have the J-Line and has been going strong for over 2 yrs and I have to plans on upgrading it. I did invert mine cause I just felt the fit was better and allowed me to cut less of the bumper. However, I did cut nearly 2in. off the top to completely expose the intercooler. I didn't use a bracket as it wasn't available at the time, but it could make the install easier for you. I also got longer 4" hose couplers cause the shorter 3" that come with the kit were putting too much stress by pulling a bit too much on the pipes for my liking. It is more work than a bolt on cooler for sure, but it's a beefy unit that does it's job well and for cheap.

OP
F
Thread Starter #17
Price...
Whoosh or Depo are the only ones you should buy sub 300 whp. J-Line if you want cool looks and maybe a little north of 300 lol

I'm strongly considering the Whoosh over the Mishi now. I'll never make the power the Mishi supports and if I do i'll get a DHM.

A7xogg

Levels, because hand tig welded stuff is always worth the wait. Also the end tanks have a better design giving the car quicker spool

I just received my cp-e intercooler. while my mountune was fine for the stock turbo it is not up to the hybrid turbo I have now. as soon as the mountune comes out it is gonna be available for dirt cheap. boyracer