Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Supercharged FRS

I'm driving a company car on a tour today- an FRS with an Edelbrock E-Force supercharger. I'm really surprised at the mediocre acceleration. I think my Cobb stage 2 FIST could take it.

GAbOS

Eaton Gen VI 1320 TVS

It's a roots style but it's super tiny. You are prolly only going to feel the 'pull' near the top end.

LilPartyBox

1000 Post Club
Premium Account
That car is hopelessly slow. Dam shame cuz it's a good look. I would've bought one if it weren't for FiST eating it's lunch :)

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

AzNightmare

Honestly think the FRS/BRZ is underrated due to it's high rev and linear pull...
FiST wheel spin the first 2 gears, then it pulls hard, but it's already behind by a few car lengths by the time it finds grip.
At the end of the day, BRZ would beat the FiST 0-60 or in 1/4 mile...

But FEELING fast because of the turbo suddenly dumping all the torque makes the FiST much more fun, and it often makes one FEEL the FiST is a lot faster than it really is.

Since I'm on this topic, I actually find a lot of cars in the FiST's class (or with similar power numbers) quicker than the FiST off the line. And before anyone starts talking about "all you need is _________" to make the FiST a rocket, we need to keep it fair talking stock vs stock. Otherwise every car can use that excuse.

At least according to Caranddriver:
Veloster Turbo
Civic Si
Cooper S
Forte Koup
Elantra Sport

There there are a few cars that are a tad slower, despite it having much lesser specs.
Civic 1.5T MT
Sentra Nismo

These are based on not just 0-60, but also 0-100, 5-60, 30-50, 50-70, and 1/4 mile.
Most of these cars mentioned have the FiST beat in all the categories (with some tied or 0.1s difference). They're close, and it will come down to the driver, but the FiST isn't gonna destroy any of these cars.

At least for linear driving, the FiST seems like the worst of the bunch. I'm sure it'll out handle most if not all of these cars and take them on the twisties.
Now don't get me wrong, price wise, FiST is still the best bang for buck and I love this car... but imo, a lot of the fast acceleration feel is from early torque dump but peak boost lasts like 2½ seconds...

Honestly think the FRS/BRZ is underrated due to it's high rev and linear pull...
FiST wheel spin the first 2 gears, then it pulls hard, but it's already behind by a few car lengths by the time it finds grip.
At the end of the day, BRZ would beat the FiST 0-60 or in 1/4 mile...

But FEELING fast because of the turbo suddenly dumping all the torque makes the FiST much more fun, and it often makes one FEEL the FiST is a lot faster than it really is.

Since I'm on this topic, I actually find a lot of cars in the FiST's class (or with similar power numbers) quicker than the FiST off the line. And before anyone starts talking about "all you need is _________" to make the FiST a rocket, we need to keep it fair talking stock vs stock. Otherwise every car can use that excuse.

At least according to Caranddriver:
Veloster Turbo
Civic Si
Cooper S
Forte Koup
Elantra Sport

There there are a few cars that are a tad slower, despite it having much lesser specs.
Civic 1.5T MT
Sentra Nismo

These are based on not just 0-60, but also 0-100, 5-60, 30-50, 50-70, and 1/4 mile.
Most of these cars mentioned have the FiST beat in all the categories (with some tied or 0.1s difference). They're close, and it will come down to the driver, but the FiST isn't gonna destroy any of these cars.

At least for linear driving, the FiST seems like the worst of the bunch. I'm sure it'll out handle most if not all of these cars and take them on the twisties.
Now don't get me wrong, price wise, FiST is still the best bang for buck and I love this car... but imo, a lot of the fast acceleration feel is from early torque dump but peak boost lasts like 2½ seconds...
Most high-end performance cars (except Lamborghinis) that I've driven feel more like the BRZ than a FiST/FoST - it's smooth, linear power that doesn't come on until higher revs. It makes the car more predictable when driven competitively.

That kick from torque is definitely fun, and not necessarily a bad thing. But when exiting a turn at speed, you have to be more aware of the boost pressure, especially in higher horsepower cars, no not let it built up suddenly and snap back.

In the end every car has it's purpose. If someone is interested in straight 0-60 times, then there are plenty of better, similarly priced options than the FiST. Heck, if someone wants to be competitive on an autox/time attack right out of the box, there are better options too (although the FiST isn't bad).

It's better to buy a car that will fit your needs, rather than buying a car and then forcing it to meet your needs.

But of course, opinions are like a-holes...

OP
Gone in 60
Thread Starter #6
All very well said. Our group was on the Hot Rod Power Tour, and my parent company, Holley, produces the "Blackheart" exhaust line. So, our fleet consisted of the FRS, a new Camaro SS, and a big truck to haul our displays. The FRS and Camaro had the company's exhaust kits on them. The tour consisted of 250-300 miles between seven stops, and we traded off what we drove each day, so I logged a lot of miles in the FRS. Granted, it was boring highway miles, but there were a lot of times where I was in the FRS, downshifting and nailing the throttle to pass trucks, etc. Even at high revs it didn't seem to have as much power in the "butt dyno" department as the FIST. And since the FRS is frequently compared to the FIST, it made me appreciate my car a bit more.

The Camaro, as you can imagine, didn't need much downshifting or revs to pass anything it wanted to. Essentially it's a big, fast space ship with air conditioned seats that you can't see out of.