Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blueberry got bit today

Intuit

3000 Post Club
They rape folks on bumper parts; charging as much for simple formed plastics versus something as complex as a hatch. A significant portion of the labor for painting is in the prep-work, specifically all the part masking. I suspect the parts can be matched and blended before they're even on the vehicle.

zanethan

To get a proper match you cannot blend parts off the car. Sure the shop could have picked the closest shade and sprayed the bumper cover and hatch off the car but I 100% guaranty that it would not have matched. I have experienced both good and bad body work and it is easy to tell when a shop blends a panel properly vs. a quick spray and swap.

zanethan

No he doesn't...notice the fender is ON the car... He is blending body panels ON the car. Also they never show a completed shot, maybe it matches...maybe it doesn't. If he were to paint the fender and bumper OFF the car it would not have matched. It might have been close but it wouldn't have matched.

I'm done with this debate. Maybe you think body shops sole purpose in the world is to rip off insurance companies (and maybe they are, I don't know). What I do know is that quality paint work is expensive and you get what you pay for. I'm not sure what that guy charges but I'm willing to bet it isn't cheap what you see in that video is probably $1000-$2000 in labor alone.

OP-sorry for thread jacking. Glad you got your car back and that you're happy with the repairs, at the end of the day that's all that matters. Now go drive it like you stole it!

Intuit

3000 Post Club
The video shows *precisely* what I stated.

EDIT: Okay I see how you can misinterpret that; it wasn't stated 100% clearly. My bad. But I wouldn't link to the video showing one thing and then state another. He uses multiple techniques. He blends with the original door and new fender on the vehicle while masking-off the hood. The bumper, curiously, is painted while completely off the vehicle. The bumper is pictured in the background while he preps for and applies the clear coat. https://youtu.be/4fvSA27QrWI?t=227 So that should answer your question about whether he later mounted the bumper and then repainted it. It was done entirely while off the vehicle.

As for me thinking that shops are in business for the sole purpose of ripping people off, that is your statement, not mine.
Read my quote: "Business tries to justify the radically different costs by the varying amounts of paperwork and post-transaction support involved. A certain amount of increase is of course, true. You may have to hire people or contract a service just to process the extra paperwork. But decupling and vigintupling the price in many cases is just being flat out greedy; charging more strictly because the entity will afford it. " http://www.fiestastforum.com/forum/...-got-bit-today?p=243781&viewfull=1#post243781

Mine got bit this weekend...

Except it was more like I crashed into a box someone didn't strap down to their pickup - at 70 mph. I was coming out of a turn and didn't see it until it was too late. Good thing traffic was light at the time. The impact threw the car into the left lane inducing a lateral moment that I didn't have time to counter act. I fish tailed for a bit (almost hit the offending pickup that was pulled over on the right hand side of the road), spun out, and ended up in the ditch off on the left hand side of the freeway.

No one got hurt and the damage is non structural. Fortunately its just the front bumper cover, headlight, fog-light, wheel liner, and front fender that need to be addressed. Estimate came in at 3k though.

(If anyone can recommend a body shop in the ann arbor / dearborn area in SW Michigan please PM me)

Zip ties work great! so I have that going for me, which is nice.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Mine got bit this weekend...

Except it was more like I crashed into a box someone didn't strap down to their pickup - at 70 mph. I was coming out of a turn and didn't see it until it was too late. Good thing traffic was light at the time. The impact threw the car into the left lane inducing a lateral moment that I didn't have time to counter act. I fish tailed for a bit (almost hit the offending pickup that was pulled over on the right hand side of the road), spun out, and ended up in the ditch off on the left hand side of the freeway.

No one got hurt and the damage is non structural. Fortunately its just the front bumper cover, headlight, fog-light, wheel liner, and front fender that need to be addressed. Estimate came in at 3k though.

(If anyone can recommend a body shop in the ann arbor / dearborn area in SW Michigan please PM me)

Zip ties work great! so I have that going for me, which is nice.
Review...review...Review the body shops that can be used by your insurance. Don't just go with who they say....I'd even ask to see their work. ...I trusted my insurance company with my collector vehicle I own....bad...bad mistake. I'm still finding corners that were cut...mistakes that were made. It disgusts me to this day. Just food for thought....I'd see If I could find a genuine Ford dealer body shop just to make sure they/insurance doesn't cheap out on you.

Sent from my SM-N950U1 using Tapatalk

I used village ford on michigan ave when i got rear ended two months ago. They did great body work although the white platinum paint match was awful. It's actually back there now while I'm on work travel to have the paint corrected again. Rod in the collision center always answered my calls and even let me into the body shop to show me what he was going to do as he could tell that I knew more than the average person who brings a damaged vehicle there and I was asking a million questions. Overall, im pleased with their work but I'll find out on wednesday how their second attempt at a paint match went.