Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Blueberry got bit today

I was out in my car today. Stopped at an intersection to merge onto a highway. I moved a a couple of feet so I could see around a van. As soon as I stopped the Jeep behind me accelerated in to the back of my FiST! The same stupid teenage girl nearly hit me about a mile earlier. I slowed to let a car turn and she nearly hit me. I already got an estimate of $3,300. Ford dealer is going to do the work. All part replacements not repairs.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Business6

I was wondering why the hell it was $3300 but then I saw the hatch had some damage, too.

Well, hopefully it all works out for you and you get the Blueberry back sooner rather than later. It always could have been worse and fingers crossed that the girl realizes that as well. Nothing makes people pay attention quite like paying for their mistakes.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
[emoji54] sorry to see a fellow blue get hit...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk[/QUOTE]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Any change in lift gate latch engagement or issues closing the lift gate? I've seen an offset impact like that collapse the lower back part of the structure and create a striker misalignment condition, making it hard to close the lift gate even when replaced. If so, you'd have some options there. If not, well that's one less thing to worry about....

Really sad to see quality parts like that go though. Distracted or aggressive driving can never lead to good things. Hope you get things squared away and fixed up to your liking.

John9851

1000 Post Club
I had someone back into my car after three months of ownership. They hit and ran me with 5000 worth of damage. I feel your pain.

That sucks...Do you have the 3rd brake light modification? If not, may be something good to consider. (even though it may have not stopped this situation)

Probably she was texting. So many pathetic, poor drivers out there. Hopefully they buy driverless cars when they are available...

OP
upier
Thread Starter #8
That sucks...Do you have the 3rd brake light modification? If not, may be something good to consider. (even though it may have not stopped this situation)
No don't habe that mod but have thought about it since. I don't think it would have helped. She just wasn't paying attention to driving. Just sucks to have to go through all the wasted time getting it fixed and back on the road. Hurts to look at it.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I have a way to do this under $15 all from amazon+ your time and a soldering tool and solder....hit me up and I can give you all the pieces I ordered.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
upier
Thread Starter #10
Sounds great. Send me a private message with the details please.

OP
upier
Thread Starter #11
Yes have to replace lower hatch (didn't know that it was two pieces) , large bumper, black trim and lower bumper trim.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
She was in a Jeep huh? So what, she got a some additional clear coat on her bumper? (no damage in other words)

I wonder if these types of oopsies ever happen to folks in manual shift vehicles... because I suspect not. Need both hands and both feet and one eye, rather than just one foot and half a brain... [wink]

OP
upier
Thread Starter #13
She was in a Jeep huh? So what, she got a some additional clear coat on her bumper? (no damage in other words)

I wonder if these types of oopsies ever happen to folks in manual shift vehicles... because I suspect not. Need both hands and both feet and one eye, rather than just one foot and half a brain... [wink]
Metal bumper on the front of her Jeep got bent back 30 degrees with not even a scratch on her painted bits. No real repairs needed.

OP
upier
Thread Starter #14
I was out in my car today. Stopped at an intersection to merge onto a highway. I moved a a couple of feet so I could see around a van. As soon as I stopped the Jeep behind me accelerated in to the back of my FiST! The same stupid teenage girl nearly hit me about a mile earlier. I slowed to let a car turn and she nearly hit me. I already got an estimate of $3,300. Ford dealer is going to do the work. All part replacements not repairs.

Update. I got my car back. Total damage ended up just under $5k. The brackets under the bumper were damaged too. Looks good. Waiting on diminished value claim. Any one have experience with those? What value should I expect?

zanethan

Update. I got my car back. Total damage ended up just under $5k. The brackets under the bumper were damaged too. Looks good. Waiting on diminished value claim. Any one have experience with those? What value should I expect?

Hooray on getting your car back!

Diminished value claims are difficult to prove at best. By the time it's all said and done you might pocket $200-$500. I'd just move on with my life if I were you.

If you do decide to go for one be prepared to wait a looooooooooong time before seeing any monies.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
$5k for a f*ng dent. No medical, no rental, just $5k for a dent. That's over 20% of the total MSRP for the vehicle... for a dent. Even the crooked insurance companies get robbed.

$5k for a f*ng dent. No medical, no rental, just $5k for a dent. That's over 20% of the total MSRP for the vehicle... for a dent. Even the crooked insurance companies get robbed.
There's a crack on the bumper that warrants either a time consuming repair on the bumper or bumper replacement. Either way bumper repaint. Then the hatch was damaged as well. So again, costly hatch repair or replacement and repaint. Probably isn't worth the $5k they charged the insurance company but it's still thousands of dollars worth of repairs, but when insurance is paying these companies know it and try to pull every penny they can out of the deal. Same goes for health insurance. This is why insurance in general is so freaking expensive. When insurance is paying a majority or all of it people just let insurance handle it and don't shop around because it's not their immediate money they are spending.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
On-point. Yip and I've said it before, business has four different prices for the same service.

One for Government,
one for insurance,
one for other business,
and one for consumer.

Any guesses as to which gets the highest price? Business tries to justify the radically different costs by the varying amounts of paperwork and post-transaction support involved. A certain amount of increase is of course, true. You may have to hire people or contract a service just to process the extra paperwork. But decupling and vigintupling the price in many cases is just being flat out greedy; charging more strictly because the entity will afford it.

zanethan

In all honesty $5000 isn't that outrageous considering the hatch and bumper cover had to be replaced. Not sure what the cost of those two parts are but I'd bet they come out to $2000 (the hatch door is almost $1000 alone) if they're actual Ford parts. Add in the cost of disassembly and reassembly ($100/hr) plus labor for paint ($150/hr) and your easily within the $4000-$5000 price. Good paint work is expensive and I learned a long time ago that you get what you pay for from a body shop. I bet there are at least 15-20 hours of work in the rear end of this car so the $5k price really isn't surprising to me.

Sure he could have taken it to a Maaco and they would have filled the dent with bondo and slapped some paint on it for $500. It would have looked good for about 2 months until it started falling apart and cracking. But I'm assuming the OP wanted his car repaired correctly and that's gonna cost $$$$ for quality.