Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Bilstein Coilover Refresh

So I came across a set of Bilstein Coilovers for my FiST and they were a good price. They have been used and definitely needed some cleaning/refreshing, so I soaked them in Coca Cola for 2 days and a green scrubby took off a lot of the grit and grim. However, I don't feel like attempting to return them to their "Polished" appearance, so I wanted some input. I am going to prime and paint them, but should I try and match the yellow of the rear shocks since they are in good shape and throw some new Bilstein stickers on them? or should I do them in a basic grey color?

Would love some input. I'm going to post some pics of them from start to finish a little later.

Thanks!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Paint or get them powder coated your color of choice man...do something you think looks cool or unique....dont worry about what others think.[emoji106]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

OP
B
Thread Starter #3
I was more or less thinking if it would be irritating if I couldn't match the yellows, but some research says it's caterpillar old yellow from rustoleum :)

I know hardly anyone will see the housings, but I'm super OCD with these types of things and it sucks sometimes.

Can the housings be powdercosted with the inserts in? No damage to the seals? I had thought about it, but on the edge about it a little bit. Thought about hydro dipping but the places around me closed.

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
Good question....ask a powder coater! I never thought of that! Good point though!

TyphoonFiST

9000 Post Club
Premium Account
I'd epoxy paint the struts and shocks and see if the coil springs can be dipped in some type of rubber material in a color of your choice.

OP
B
Thread Starter #7
Springs are still in good shape, don't really need to do much to them other then clean them up really good. finished the rear spring perches and the fronts are clean and primed. Waiting for the caterpillar yellow to come in, since it isn't sold in any stores around me. They will get a couple coats of paint and clear coat after. The rears are prepped and they will just get a coat or two to fix the blemishes and be done.

I am calling bilstein to see if they'll send me another set of sticker with part numbers and such on them. The other stickers came off pretty cleanly and I could probably reattach them, but if they will send me new ones, I'll probably go that route.

I'm obviously not painting the threads, so I've cleaned them up well enough that the perches spin easily up and down the entire way and I will cover them in antiseize before install. Hopefully they should look like new when I'm done!

I need to clean up the threads on my Bilstein. Did you submerge the whole assembly in CC?

OP
B
Thread Starter #9
I bought a small bathroom trashcan from the dollar tree and it put the assembly in to the top of the threads. I didn't submerge the rubber seal around the shaft.