Welcome to the #1 Fiesta ST Forum and Fiesta ST community dedicated to Fiesta ST owners and enthusiasts. Register for an account, it's free and it's easy, so don't hesitate to join the Fiesta ST Forum today!

Taking a Leap - Resonator Delete

jeff

2000 Post Club
Deleted mine today. Or, Midas did for $75 in 15 minutes.

There is a small bass sound increase that you can hear from the driver's seat, but it is barely noticeable. I was hoping for more based on the videos here I've watched. If you rev it past 4k there is some nice rasp, but revving my engine when it's not moving is not typical behavior for me. When climbing the RPM band there is again a noticeable sound increase, but it is very small and normal people will not notice it. Not loud at all, no drone.

From outside the car it does sound different, but how often am I gonna hear my car from the outside? Actually it sounds similar to when I've had resonators removed on other cars, there is a particular sound it creates, but it is very minor with our small engine. I was hoping for a bit of exhaust noise here without paying hundreds of dollars, and I wish it were a bit louder, but hey half the fun is in the process for me. I might look into a muffler as opposed to a full exhaust, but I want something that's not too loud, and I really like the Ford ST muffler tips. Time to search "muffler".....

Anyhow hope that helps others...if you're on the fence, don't spend your money on this unless you feel like doing it yourself for cheap.

Final thought, it is 105 heat index here and real humid, it will probably be a bit louder in cold weather.

jeff

2000 Post Club
Deleted mine today. Or, Midas did for $75 in 15 minutes.

There is a small bass sound increase that you can hear from the driver's seat, but it is barely noticeable. I was hoping for more based on the videos here I've watched. If you rev it past 4k there is some nice rasp, but revving my engine when it's not moving is not typical behavior for me. When climbing the RPM band there is again a noticeable sound increase, but it is very small and normal people will not notice it. Not loud at all, no drone.

From outside the car it does sound different, but how often am I gonna hear my car from the outside? Actually it sounds similar to when I've had resonators removed on other cars, there is a particular sound it creates, but it is very minor with our small engine. I was hoping for a bit of exhaust noise here without paying hundreds of dollars, and I wish it were a bit louder, but hey half the fun is in the process for me. I might look into a muffler as opposed to a full exhaust, but I want something that's not too loud, and I really like the Ford ST muffler tips. Time to search "muffler".....

Anyhow hope that helps others...if you're on the fence, don't spend your money on this unless you feel like doing it yourself for cheap.

Final thought, it is 105 heat index here and real humid, it will probably be a bit louder in cold weather.
So I have a second day review of this mod. As I mentioned yesterday it was extremely hot. In addition, I was driving around with the air on full blast and the windows up. And, the car had been quite warmed up before the installation and during my test drive after.

This morning it was in the 70s. When I started the car up I noticed an immediate difference, and for the 20 minute drive after I could hear a definite noticeable difference. Even my son who is in the car with me noticed. It does not sound like an exhaust has been installed, but it does sound a bit like a boxer engine. Very low rumble and some nice rasp when revved. I would not call it a drone, but there is a very low tone exhaust sound during normal driving which is pleasant. Everything just sounds a little bit bassier.

So I was pleasantly surprised this morning and now I am extremely happy that I did this. I'm sure the cold weather will bring even more sound.

Good to hear! This is exactly the kind of feedback I was looking for. Now, to find a local shop to do this for cheap....

redmoe

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but I just had the resonator deleted from my 2017 FiST and I just noticed that the shop used 2 inch pipe. Since the stock pipe is 2.17 I doubt it will have an impact especially since the restriction from the resonator has been removed. Would there be any value in having it removed and replaced with 2.25 inch pipe?

Sorry to bring this one back from the dead but I just had the resonator deleted from my 2017 FiST and I just noticed that the shop used 2 inch pipe. Since the stock pipe is 2.17 I doubt it will have an impact especially since the restriction from the resonator has been removed. Would there be any value in having it removed and replaced with 2.25 inch pipe?
My shop did the same thing. I didn't care drives the same.

Heck putting on a full 3in exhaust on a stock turbo makes no difference, a 1/4 inch difference on a 2ft piece of pipe defiantly wont make a difference.

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
Heck putting on a full 3in exhaust on a stock turbo makes no difference, a 1/4 inch difference on a 2ft piece of pipe defiantly wont make a difference.
There’s a slim chance that there could be a difference in sound; which is why people do a res delete in the first place.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
................... guys, it's a 1.6L turbo car....it's not going to sound like a 2.0 or a 2.5. lol. ........................
Motorcycles engines have small bores, but can still have bass-heavy exhaust sounds. Suspect it's just a matter of having a tuned exhaust. The diameter on my motorcycle muffler is pretty large. I've heard some Mustang exhausts that sounded, right. But for all I've heard here and typically, cheaply modified exhausts sound no better or significantly different from an exhaust leak LoL. [idea] With the amount of salt that they dump on these roads, I would just wait a few years and not patch the leak.

Ford will not refuse work because of an exhaust. Unless your warranty issue is exhaust noises/rattles or something that is 100% damaged because of the new part.
Correct. One exception may be cases where a valve gets burnt, or there is evidence to suggest that data to/from the upstream oxygen sensor may have been compromised.

Intuit

3000 Post Club
................... guys, it's a 1.6L turbo car....it's not going to sound like a 2.0 or a 2.5. lol. ........................
Motorcycles engines have small bores, but can still have bass-heavy exhaust sounds. Suspect it's just a matter of having a tuned exhaust. The diameter on my motorcycle muffler is pretty large. I've heard some Mustang exhausts that sounded, right. But for all I've heard here and typically, cheaply modified exhausts sound no better or significantly different from an exhaust leak LoL. [idea] With the amount of salt that they dump on these roads, I would just wait a few years and not patch the leak.

Ford will not refuse work because of an exhaust. Unless your warranty issue is exhaust noises/rattles or something that is 100% damaged because of the new part.
Correct. One exception may be cases where a valve gets burnt, or there is evidence to suggest that data to/from the upstream oxygen sensor may have been compromised.

redmoe

They would be hard pressed to point to a cat back exhaust for a valve or O2 issue if the Downpipe has not been tampered with. But they could always make the process painful since there is a modification.

Of course once you start modding eventually a tune comes into play and the engine warranty is out the window lol

jeff

2000 Post Club
I'm gonna sound like a grump when I say this but........

Folks skip the res delete and save the $50 for your exhaust.....wish I did. I did the delete, subtle change, wanted more, bought an exhaust. Wish I'd just put the money toward the exhaust.

redmoe

It is defiantly a subtle change but the slight increase in throughtyness and the gurggle/backfire nosies are a nice change. Just depends on what you are looking for. The lack of drone is a real plus for me. Also it may help the warranty argument if the stock eshaust/diameter is intact other than the resonator. That being said I am sure I will be going with the Mountune catback at some point. For now this is my commuter as I already have a Scat Pack Challenger that is plenty loud :)

Truth in Ruin

1000 Post Club
I'm gonna sound like a grump when I say this but........

Folks skip the res delete and save the $50 for your exhaust.....wish I did. I did the delete, subtle change, wanted more, bought an exhaust. Wish I'd just put the money toward the exhaust.
Unless a slight, subtle change is all you’re looking for- you’re absolutely correct.

redmoe

With the radio low there is a nice low sound in the cabin and no drone. I swear I can hear the turbo a little more since having the resonator removed. Since you will most likely chop the stock exhaust (unless taking the rear suspension apart) to install a cat back this is a good thing to give try. For $100 it’s worth a shot.

I just want to reiterate there is really no drone even at freeway speeds.